SR V "Schools" class locomotive 30945 Fettes Collage

Started by Gondor, March 23, 2024, 10:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I thought I would have a go at this Group Build with something a little different.

Built between 1930 and 1935, the SR V Class were built for Southern Railways and named after several Public Schools. The introduction of British Rail Class 201 diesel-electric multiple units to the Hastings route after 1957 and the completion of the electrification of the South Eastern Main Line in 1961 deprived the class of much of their work, most of the forty-odd trains were withdrawn from service, some however were transferred to Scotland where they were overhauled and renamed after local Public Schools and carried on service into the late 1960's. 30945 was renamed Fettes Collage and in 1964 was repainted in LMS Crimson to celebrate its fortieth birthday.

Well, that's the plan. I will probably get halfway through this when the Group Build finishes as usual, but no harm in trying is there?

The kit I am using is the 1973 boxing by Airfix of the 1957 Kitmaster model of the Engine.

Will start cleaning the parts up and painting several of them over the weekend.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

I'd completely forgotten about the railway models Airfix made until seeing that picture. Thank you for stirring memories  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 24, 2024, 02:11:40 AMI'd completely forgotten about the railway models Airfix made until seeing that picture. Thank you for stirring memories  :thumbsup:

And looking at the parts now I have opened the bag of contents I am wondering how much work to do with this. Should the handrails be separated from the rest of the loco or left as a raised line on the sides  :-\

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Chop them off and make brass wire ones. It'll look LOADS better.

I've got a large box stuffed with some of the old Kitmaster loco kits, including a Garrett and an NYC Hudson. One day I may actually build a few of them.................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

So on Kit's advice off they came!

Before

And after

So far just been chopped off with side cutters but I have had the forethought to mark where the supports should go and unless I decide to go all JMN about it I will put the replacements in the same place. So next up will be drilling the mounting holes before setting to with a file. I think I will replace the hoops around the boiler at the same time, I should have small enough plastic strip to replace the existing hoops with, the detail will probably disappear when I remove the other detail.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2024, 07:47:26 AMLooking better already.  ;D

You would probably say that the picture below is even better Kit.

The two halves of the boiler are now glued together. Filler may be applied later today or even tomorrow especially as there are sink marks where the alignment pins are.

Not sure about the colours to paint certain parts though. I am thinking of Gloss black for the frame underside. No idea about the inner or outer faces of the wheels, I do have a couple of photo albums on the LMS that I ordered earlier today so that takes care of everything above the footplate as it were, but below that.....

Gondor

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on March 24, 2024, 12:36:46 PMGreat idea . :thumbsup:

Simple idea. Change the colour scheme and markings.

The problem with the idea is the quality of the kit and the amount of work to make it acceptable.

Gondor

Rheged

Any difficulty about precise colours can easily be deflected by pointing out that St Rollox  or Cowlairs   works in Glasgow chose to use the livery you find easiest to apply.

Rheged's hypothesis/ Kit's second law  applies.

If anyone really fancies really spreading confusion, members could build others of the class in, say,  Cally Blue, North British  Bronze Green ,  or even Highland    Mid Green    .  Heritage liveries  as a Scottish gesture to 40 years since BR (Scottish Region) was formed. 

Then you've got  Gordonstoun,  Dollar Academy ,  George Heriot;s and Kelvinside Academy as other schools to go at.   A set of these would make a JMN-boggling display.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on March 24, 2024, 01:13:08 PMAny difficulty about precise colours can easily be deflected by pointing out that St Rollox  or Cowlairs   works in Glasgow chose to use the livery you find easiest to apply.

Rheged's hypothesis/ Kit's second law  applies.

If anyone really fancies really spreading confusion, members could build others of the class in, say,  Cally Blue, North British  Bronze Green ,  or even Highland    Mid Green    .  Heritage liveries  as a Scottish gesture to 40 years since BR (Scottish Region) was formed. 

Then you've got  Gordonstoun,  Dollar Academy ,  George Heriot;s and Kelvinside Academy as other schools to go at.   A set of these would make a JMN-boggling display.

I chose Fettes for two reasons. The first and most important to me at least is that as a Camponolagist I have actually rung the bells there, well for their size they are more like brass buckets than propper bells. The second is that it can be comical if you misread the name.

I have actually been thinking about this for a couple of years, in fact it is almost two years since I bought the model I am building after buying another at the same show and finding that it was mostly assembled, and it cost me more than the untouched one I am building.  :banghead: So I have several bottles of RailMatch paint including the LMS Crimson Lake.

Gondor

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

McColm

Quote from: Gondor on March 24, 2024, 12:51:36 PM
Quote from: McColm on March 24, 2024, 12:36:46 PMGreat idea . :thumbsup:

Simple idea. Change the colour scheme and markings.

The problem with the idea is the quality of the kit and the amount of work to make it acceptable.

Gondor
I've always thought of doing something similar with the Deltic DP1 from the Kitmaster/Dapol range changing into the DP2.
Then there's eBay, Lima running gear seems to fit better so a painted red Harrow bodyshell wouldn't look too out of place with a couple of the Hogwarts Express carriages behind it.