The B-52 has been around since WW1

Started by 63cpe, March 24, 2024, 08:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

What if the B-52 went in service during ww1?
It might have looked like this:

The engines will be put on struts halfway between upper and lower wing and more horizontal. The peg is to keep the upper wing at about the correct height.

PXL_20240324_144552587 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20240324_144602724 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20240324_144616433 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20240324_144623212 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Peter pilot in front will get his lewis gun soon.

Cheers,
David aka 63CPE

PR19_Kit

Magic, I LOVE it!  :wub:

Where did that monster wing come from? And will you be rigging it as well?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

The lower wing is the upper wing of an Aero A100. The upper wing is from an Curtis Condor ( that crappy Glencoe kit). I'm gonna make "an attempt" to rig it.

David aka 63CPE

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

perttime

I've seen memes about B-52 outliving Star Trek ships ... but I didn't see this coming.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Rheged

Most interesting and thought provoking.     Was the Witteman-Lewis XNBL-1 ;  the Barling Bomber;   one of the unsuccessful attempts to replace this venerable aeroplane?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witteman-Lewis_XNBL-1
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

I'm sorry but she needs another set of engines on each side & longer wings. :rolleyes:

;)  :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Well, I would have never thought of that! I think it's awesome!!
Yep, more engines and a billboard tail. But it's your build and go with what moves you.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mexchiwa

63cpe

@mexchiwa: Not so sure about that. I think a bicycle gear makes bomb loading more difficult as the re is limited space between grond and fuselage.

@Rheged: interesting read about the Witteman-Lewis XNBL-1. Thanks for sharing!

David aka 63CPE

perttime

I'm assuming that the guy in front is a gunner and the next hole is for the pilot. That second hole scares me a little: as shown in the photo it is right in line with the front propellers. Maybe the wing and/or engines can go back a little?

mexchiwa

Quote from: 63cpe on March 25, 2024, 12:03:59 PM@mexchiwa: Not so sure about that. I think a bicycle gear makes bomb loading more difficult as the re is limited space between grond and fuselage.

@Rheged: interesting read about the Witteman-Lewis XNBL-1. Thanks for sharing!

David aka 63CPE

Oh, bicycle gear on a WW I bomber would be an awful idea.  I just thought it'd be fun, show a little more of the BUFF heritage, even if there is no good reason for it