Securing a pilot figure for painting

Started by The Rat, March 25, 2024, 06:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Keep some of your empty paint bottles, they can be used for a number of things, like this: piece of double-sided tape, and plonk his butt down on it.

Need to saw something that's small, and want it secured? Piece of double-sided tape, stick it on the surface of your work bench, stick the piece to it, and hack away.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

I was thinking of glueing a sprue stick to his butt. Your idea will work much better.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

Quote from: kerick on March 25, 2024, 07:17:28 PMI was thinking of glueing a sprue stick to his butt. This would work even better.

You can just leave it there instead of finding some place to stick it, it isn't going to fall over.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

kerick

By "this" I meant the paint jar. Sorry :rolleyes:  I edited the post to correct my writing and make myself clear.
I would have to make the jar a color I wasn't going to use anytime soon until I emptied one or the paint went bad. A little weight in the jar might help it not tip over when my clumsy hand whacks it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on March 25, 2024, 07:17:28 PMI was thinking of glueing a sprue stick to his butt. Your idea will work much better.

That's what I sometimes do, too, even though I more frequently use thin pincers and hold the figures at their feet/boots. Another (though certzainly controversial  :rolleyes: ) method: drill a hole into the butt (or use a hot needle, ouch), and put the figure on a toothpick. Allows a better field of work.

zenrat

I use Dizzy's second method.

1.2mm drill up the clacker and then shove a toothpick up the hole.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on March 26, 2024, 03:11:00 AMI use Dizzy's second method.

1.2mm drill up the clacker and then shove a toothpick up the hole.

I do this under the feet on 1/35 or 1/48 figures that will be standing.

If they're seated figures, though ... Well ... Sorry, mate, butt plug it is. :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

I'll have to see if I can find some of that tape and try the Rat's method. A nice fat bottle to hold on to could be easier on the arthritis.
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on March 26, 2024, 07:30:59 AMI'll have to see if I can find some of that tape and try the Rat's method. A nice fat bottle to hold on to could be easier on the arthritis.

Harbor Fright has a $20 articulated vise you can use for the butt plug method if the bottle doesn't necessarily work (pose, weight, size, etc.).
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

A piece of dowel with some stickum of some sort on the end - tape, blutack etc. whatever yer poison.
Basically the same principle as the dop stick used in lapidary work.

Mossie

I use a clothes peg with Blu Tack, and for pretty much any smaller pieces.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

Don't use florist foam for anything around painting! Little bits end up everywhere. I used it to shove the bamboo skewers I had glued mini clothes pins too. Bad combo.
Tophe the Wise

killnoizer

I always use a fine pincer and hold one of the boots , fixed the pincer with a small bracket . If the complete Figur is painted I do the boots at last step  . There are many, many cockpits where you don't see them , or it ist not enough space for the complete legs , so I have to cut them of ....
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

The Rat

Quote from: killnoizer on March 27, 2024, 06:43:16 PMso I have to cut them of ....

Been there, done that. I just put it down to Douglas Bader being a test pilot.  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on March 27, 2024, 02:37:16 PMI use a clothes peg with Blu Tack, and for pretty much any smaller pieces.

I use similar but with some double sided tape I got from Poundstore. I find it can be a little difficult to remove all of the  Blue Tack from a part.

Also got various sizes of clothes pegs. The small ones were meant for hanging Christmas cards but the intermediate size ones I swear are for dolls clothes  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.