Another Road Not Travelled - Royal Navy FAA Decides to stay with Sea Hurricanes

Started by Stan in YUL, March 27, 2024, 11:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan in YUL

Quote from: Wardukw on April 16, 2024, 10:43:56 AMI'm having mutant thoughts here ...going thru the pile I found a Mk24 with bits missing..brought it like that  and this got my thinking.
Using its wings ..Hurricane landing gear cause it's wide track or another idea I'm thinking about..turning the Spits landing gear around 🤔
Also fitted the Spits canopy and Griffon with 5 bladed prop .
Just have get the vision in my head first to see what it would look like.
Hope to see it!

Wardukw

Quote from: Stan in YUL on April 16, 2024, 06:50:44 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on April 16, 2024, 10:43:56 AMI'm having mutant thoughts here ...going thru the pile I found a Mk24 with bits missing..brought it like that  and this got my thinking.
Using its wings ..Hurricane landing gear cause it's wide track or another idea I'm thinking about..turning the Spits landing gear around 🤔
Also fitted the Spits canopy and Griffon with 5 bladed prop .
Just have get the vision in my head first to see what it would look like.
Hope to see it!
Stan I actually looked both kits this very morning..4:30am this morning..had a long drive today ...this idea is starting to bite me bud and once biten it won't let go  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

perttime

Quote from: Wardukw on April 16, 2024, 10:43:56 AM... I found a Mk24 with bits missing..brought it like that  and this got my thinking.
Sounds scary, in plastic. But if you can make it, I'm all for it.

You cannot view this attachment.

Wardukw

Quote from: perttime on April 17, 2024, 03:34:46 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on April 16, 2024, 10:43:56 AM... I found a Mk24 with bits missing..brought it like that  and this got my thinking.

Ohhh ..contra props  :wacko:  :wacko: ..I need some now 😫
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Stan in YUL

Go for it!  I had no idea this would have the legs that it obviously has.  It firstly came to me that a slightly better Sea Hurricane would be not much less competitive then the early Seafires and perhaps a bit better: it could hold its own in the Med (Italians) and with that bit of polish might stand up to the deployed LW of the same timeframe.  The safety record alone might be worth while by itself.  Certainly the RAF would have few tears over the Spitfire production not being diverted and might not have any over the future of the Hurricane.  Might this also get a dive bombing Hawker Henley back on the table?  Just thought I might give the pot a last stirr!

Stan.

Scotaidh

Quote from: Wardukw on April 17, 2024, 11:30:37 AM
Quote from: perttime on April 17, 2024, 03:34:46 AM

Ohhh ..contra props  :wacko:  :wacko: ..I need some now 😫

Yes, you would need contraprops.  My dad was Flight Deck Officer on the Implacable, having to do with aircraft maintenance.  He told me that the five-bladed prop generated so much torque that the pilots couldn't use full throttle to take-off, or the wing tip would hit the deck and the aircraft would hit the island or go inverted over the side ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Right I've cut and posted Ratty's inadvertent posting into a more appropriate Thread.  Just incase people think their replies have vanished.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2024, 01:13:51 PMA Griffon powered Hurricane, with contra-props maybe?

And 4 cannon of course..............
Haven't read through all the posts so, apologies if I'm repeating anything. I've been mulling over the idea of a kit bash involving the Airfix  Spitfire XIX or F.22. Fitting the Griffon engine to a Hurricane IIC. I think a cut down rear fuselage might be feasible also so, I could use the Spitfire fin and canopy.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Wardukw

Quote from: Beermonster58 on April 28, 2024, 01:16:33 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2024, 01:13:51 PMA Griffon powered Hurricane, with contra-props maybe?

Haven't read through all the posts so, apologies if I'm repeating anything. I've been mulling over the idea of a kit bash involving the Airfix  Spitfire XIX or F.22. Fitting the Griffon engine to a Hurricane IIC. I think a cut down rear fuselage might be feasible also so, I could use the Spitfire fin and canopy.

Basically exactly what I'm planning on doing monster mate  ;D  ;D
Damn near word for word   :thumbsup:
If you want to build this to then bud it'd be great having 2 of these beauties turning up ...im already trying to hunt down some contra props in 48th for mine  <_<

Beermonster58

Quote from: Wardukw on April 28, 2024, 08:23:22 PM

If you want to build this to then bud it'd be great having 2 of these beauties turning up ...im already trying to hunt down some contra props in 48th for mine  <_<

I was planning to do mine in 1/72 but, I have the remains of an Airfix Seafire 47 (complete fuselage with contra prop!) so, I could concievably do a 1/48 model but, not really my preferred scale. Also, i/72 is less of a financial loss if I screw up! ;)  ;D . If I was going to do a contra prop version in 1/72, I'd use the spare props from an old Revell (Ex FROG) Shackleton that I've dismantled for other projects.

perttime

Spitfire fin and rudder on a Hurricane? Perhaps something "more Hawker" would be more appropriate there? Like, parts from a Tempest or Sea Fury?

Beermonster58

Quote from: perttime on April 29, 2024, 01:05:21 AMSpitfire fin and rudder on a Hurricane? Perhaps something "more Hawker" would be more appropriate there? Like, parts from a Tempest or Sea Fury?

Perhaps, but I tend to use what I have to hand rather than maybe steal parts from another kit.
I don't have a Tempest or Sea Fury  kit. Reasonable idea though  :thumbsup:

perttime

Would it be feasible to modify the Spitfire fin to make it look more Hawker? Add the Tempest fin fairing?

Stan in YUL

Quote from: perttime on April 29, 2024, 05:57:29 AMWould it be feasible to modify the Spitfire fin to make it look more Hawker? Add the Tempest fin fairing?

I would expect that if a Hurricane got its nose extended to fix a 60 Series Merlin as well as cut down rear fuselage for the purpose of fitting a bubble canopy that yaw stability would become an issue.  A larger rudder or addition of a vertical stab fin is inevitable.

Wardukw

Quote from: Beermonster58 on April 29, 2024, 12:57:18 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on April 28, 2024, 08:23:22 PM

I was planning to do mine in 1/72 but, I have the remains of an Airfix Seafire 47 (complete fuselage with contra prop!) so, I could concievably do a 1/48 model but, not really my preferred scale. Also, i/72 is less of a financial loss if I screw up! ;)  ;D . If I was going to do a contra prop version in 1/72, I'd use the spare props from an old Revell (Ex FROG) Shackleton that I've dismantled for other projects.
Go for 72nd matey ..work the scale ya work  ;D
My main scale is 48th ..age..knackered hands and so on  :lol:
I'm going to use the Spitfires wings on this build and modify the landing gear lay out ..probably use the Hurricanes landing gear modded to fit the Spits wing but have the gear fold inwards so I end up with a wide track set instead of the narrow Spits .
Using the entire cockpit canopy from the Spitfire aswell and I'll cut that out of the Spits fuselage and graft that to the Hurricanes upper fuselage..seriously thinking about one suggestion made here about a full metal rear fuselage too..it make sense to me really 😀
Think I'll keep the tail cause if it use a Spitfire one it will end up being more Spitfire than Hurricane 😆