Supermarine Spiteful F Mk.XV - FINISHED > PAG.4

Started by DogfighterZen, April 06, 2024, 02:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Did a bit more but not much... busy days are busy so... :banghead:
Drilled the exhausts cause i just didn't like the way they looked and also sprayed some XF-1 on the prop...

You cannot view this attachment.

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Wish I still had steady hands that could do that  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I don't think there's an excuse for modern kits in 1/48 not to have hollows moulded into the engine exhausts - just laziness. :rolleyes:

Slide moulding makes it pretty simple to achieve for gun barrels!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 15, 2024, 06:19:51 AMI don't think there's an excuse for modern kits in 1/48 not to have hollows moulded into the engine exhausts - just laziness. :rolleyes:

True, but this is 1/72  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 15, 2024, 06:24:47 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on May 15, 2024, 06:19:51 AMI don't think there's an excuse for modern kits in 1/48 not to have hollows moulded into the engine exhausts - just laziness. :rolleyes:

True, but this is 1/72  ;)

Good point! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

And there's another detail that actually impressed me in this kit, the gun barrels already had something like a millimeter hollowed out OOB, i simply drilled them a bit more to look more like a hole but, a drop of black wash would've probably been enough to give the "hollow" impression.
The exhausts were bad, lots of flash that i'd already cleaned up, horizontal mismatched mold lines that had to be leveled out so they'd actually look like pipes, mating surface had to be sanded flat and also had to remove some excess material inside the slot for the exhausts on the left fuselage half... Lots of imperfections although the details are there but, this kit does need a bit of work.

Gonna do some work now, decide if it's better to glue the canopy on before masking to ensure it looks straight when i take the masks off. The canopy's framing is very faint and it's gonna be fun to mask... :banghead:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

So, i ended up gluing first and masking later... it's not 100% symmetric but it'll do.

After that, i was thinking of a simple scheme at first and it was supposed to be a Olive drad on the top and light grey on the bottom, much like early P-47 Thunderbolts were painted but, it's been a while since i had something shiny and i had some paint to test so, i chose metal. :wacko:

First, i gave it a coat of Tamiya X-1 gloss black...

Then i got my Molotow chrome paint pen and got the paint in the airbrush with some Mr. Levelling thinner and sprayed it...

Not sure if the paint is still in good condition as i've had this pen for quite a while and maybe it's lost the "chrome" property and it's just a metallic paint now... or maybe it was the black undercoat that made it too dark... but it got quite a few passes and was well covered so... :banghead:

I ended up resorting to trying the Ikea silver home deco spray can. It's acrylic lacquer so, the same as Tamiya and thus, no problems with compatibility... :mellow:

This is much closer to what i was looking for and it was a rather sloppy job so, i'll have to decant this spray paint to see how it comes out airbrushed. The surface of the model wasn't really prepared for a NMF job so i'll just take this one as it is and learn the lessons for a more serious attempt in the future.
Now, let's see what a coat of X-22 gloss varnish does to the shine and specularity of this paint.
It's already touch dry but i'm giving it a few more hours before i test how it holds up to being handled.
If it seems tough enough, maybe i'll try the markings without a gloss coat to protect the paint but i will test on the landing gear doors first before i do anything on the airframe.
No further updates till next weekend cause i'm going on a road trip with my family... :mellow:

:cheers:

2996 Victor

Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

Rick Lowe

ROAD TRIP!!! Always a cool idea!  :thumbsup:

Safe travels.

And yeah - model is looking great. ;-)

DogfighterZen

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 20, 2024, 01:26:43 AM:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Have a great trip!
Mark

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 20, 2024, 10:37:03 PMROAD TRIP!!! Always a cool idea!  :thumbsup:

Safe travels.

Thanks, guys!  :thumbsup:
Just got back and everything went smooth but, i'll have more details on the road trip on my blog thread.

Now, regarding the Spiteful, i've managed to ruin the paint job... i'd already started applying markings and forgot that when the temperatures start rising my hands get sweaty very easily and did not use gloves so i left two big fingerprints on the fuselage after a few seconds of handling the model... :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
I'm stripping the paint to try again but this was frustrating...

2996 Victor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on May 26, 2024, 01:49:59 PM
Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 20, 2024, 01:26:43 AM:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Have a great trip!
Mark

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 20, 2024, 10:37:03 PMROAD TRIP!!! Always a cool idea!  :thumbsup:

Safe travels.

Thanks, guys!  :thumbsup:
Just got back and everything went smooth but, i'll have more details on the road trip on my blog thread.

Now, regarding the Spiteful, i've managed to ruin the paint job... i'd already started applying markings and forgot that when the temperatures start rising my hands get sweaty very easily and did not use gloves so i left two big fingerprints on the fuselage after a few seconds of handling the model... :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
I'm stripping the paint to try again but this was frustrating...
Glad the trip went well  :thumbsup: Sorry to hear about the paint troubles, that's really frustrating. Hope it strips off cleanly for another try!
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

Rick Lowe

Yeah - lost track of the amount of times in my youth, that I touched the paint to see whether it was dry...  :banghead:  :banghead:
Which doesn't explain why I still do daft stuff nowadays... older ain't always wiser.

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 26, 2024, 04:25:05 PMWhich doesn't explain why I still do daft stuff nowadays... older ain't always wiser.

Oh so true  :angel:

zenrat

You are using enamels aren't you?  So if you repeat the same paint job then make sure you let the various stages gas out properly before putting down the next one.  Your post above read like you went black/chrome/clear very quickly.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..