Supermarine Spiteful F Mk.XV - FINISHED > PAG.4

Started by DogfighterZen, April 06, 2024, 02:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on May 27, 2024, 06:01:01 AMYou are using enamels aren't you?  So if you repeat the same paint job then make sure you let the various stages gas out properly before putting down the next one.  Your post above read like you went black/chrome/clear very quickly.

No Enamels, Fred. I've only used them once 10 years ago.
The first coat was Tamiya X-1 gloss black, second was the Molotow chrome and the third was from an Ikea Silver spray can which is an acrylic paint so i believe they're all the same type of acrylic lacquers.
But i understand what you're saying. I did wait a bit more in between coats than what it may seem from what i wrote.
The X-1 was on the 15th, the Molotow was the 16th. Then i was hesitant on what to do and on the 18th i used the spray can silver. The 19th when i posted was before i sprayed the X-22 clear gloss.
With the temps going up to 25/27ÂșC during the day and having the dehumidifier working for a couple of hours in the closed modelling room, 24 hours should be enough for the acrylic paint to release all of it's vapours.
I ended up spraying the X-22 later that day and on the 20th it was good enough to apply decals with Micro-sol and there was no effect at all on the paint or gloss coat. I got the roundels on the wings and fuselage and left the model alone during the past week while i was on the road.
Then yesterday, i was all ready to finish the decals and it was already hot in the room... I picked up the model and started inspecting the decals i'd applied a week before when i remembered i didn't have my gloves on... :banghead:  :banghead:
I have been using gloves for at least a couple of years now, even to handle my finished models when i clean them. I get sweaty hands easily and i had this problem a lot before i started using gloves to handle painted models.

Current state of this one is, still removing the paint... it's hard to get off with the oven cleaner and i don't want to risk melting the plastic so i'll have to scrub and sand a bit... even the decals are refusing to come off scrubbed with an old tooth brush...  :banghead:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

The Rat

Latex gloves can be a pain to get on and off, so a lot of us risk not using them. I buy those cheap 'painters gloves' that slip on and off easily, they do the same job.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

DogfighterZen

The latex gloves work good for me and a single pair can last a long time... and i am used to using them, i simply got careless and now i'm paying for the mistake... :rolleyes:
Had to spray some more oven cleaner on some areas, the paint is tough...
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

I highly recommend gloves made from nitrile (any I have seen so far were black, looking like semi-professional piercing equipment...  :rolleyes:. They make interesting conversational pieces, though.  ;D ).
First of all, latex gloves are not very robust, and some people are even allergic to the material. Nitrile is tougher and less flexible, but still offers a good feel through the material - and they last much longer than latex gloves, which are rather single-use stuff. I also found that latex reacts much easier to paint spray (esp. solvent-based stuff) than nitrile, another selling point.

zenrat

The nitrile gloves I use are sold as being the toughest made and as such are used by various armed forces.  I have no idea if there is any truth in that but they do stand up to General Purpose Thinners for much longer than any others i've tried.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

I have different gloves but the ones i've been using lately are indeed nitrile black gloves but i also have the thinner latex type and fortunately, i have no problems using although they are harder to put on and take off.

DogfighterZen

So, after almost an hour of scrubbing with steel wool , i got all the paint off. I took the opportunity to remove the canopy and paint the area just in front of the gunsight, which i'd forgotten to cover with some XF-1 flat black. The windshield masks had to be redone and after that, the canopy went back on.
This was all done this morning and after lunch, i finally got the silver paint back on so, tomorrow i may get a clear coat sprayed and maybe i'll get some new markings applied during the weekend.

You cannot view this attachment.

I really like how this paint looks, i still want to try decanting this paint to see if it comes out as reflective and shiny as when sprayed from the rattle can.
P.S.; No, i'm not touching the model with my finger... ;)

2996 Victor

Looks fantastic in its new coat of silver! Well worth all the angst  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

Once again, thanks for the support, this one's been putting up a fight!  :thumbsup:
The markings are all on and did offer some resistance to go down without curling up on themselves, especially the serial numbers and squadron codes... :banghead:
Still, got them all on and have just finished spraying another gloss coat, which also went down well.
No fingerprints so far, thanks to using gloves and also reducing the time handling the model with my fingers by doing it with a sprue rod inserted into the prop shaft hole.
That means that next, is painting on the black anti-glare shield in front of the canopy and the wheel wells with some flat aluminium and that will be the airframe done before final assembly.
Now, it's time to get the contra-prop, wheels, exhausts and landings gears finished... :mellow:

Wardukw

Gotta love the shine mate 👌 😎 😄
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Almost two weeks since the last update... Currently almost finished but waiting for me to get off my butt and finish painting the wheels and get the gear assembled. Shouldn't take more than an hour to finish everything so, that may happen today after work...

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 12, 2024, 04:46:05 AMShouldn't take more than an hour to finish everything so, that may happen today after work...

Famous last words  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 12, 2024, 05:54:33 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 12, 2024, 04:46:05 AMShouldn't take more than an hour to finish everything so, that may happen today after work...

Famous last words  :angel:

;D
I did say "May happen..." :angel:

DogfighterZen

Well, i'm finally calling it finished as soon as i get the canopy masks off later today... just waiting for the CA glue on the pitot tube to cure and then get some pics taken.
I'm gonna keep the back story simple and as it's a bright, sunny day, i may end up taking the photos outside but, either way, i'll definitely be posting the finished product today. :mellow: