OH-6A Cayuse (FINISHED) and AH-1G of the PoAF

Started by DogfighterZen, April 06, 2024, 05:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

HarryPhishnuts

Looking nice  :thumbsup: .

I've currently working on a version of that same Special Hobby AH-1G. Fit is a bit finicky in places (especially the canopy) and instructions aren't the clearest but has some nice details and weapons options. I built that little Italeri Loach last year. Fun little kit. I've also built a UH-1C mini-hog so once the cobra is done I'll have my complete Pink Team.  ;D

DogfighterZen

Quote from: HarryPhishnuts on August 19, 2024, 01:11:33 PMLooking nice  :thumbsup: .

I've currently working on a version of that same Special Hobby AH-1G. Fit is a bit finicky in places (especially the canopy) and instructions aren't the clearest but has some nice details and weapons options. I built that little Italeri Loach last year. Fun little kit. I've also built a UH-1C mini-hog so once the cobra is done I'll have my complete Pink Team.  ;D

Loaches are cool...  :thumbsup:
I haven't started it yet but have noticed that the SH Cobra's instructions are a bit messy, hard to understand exactly where some bits are to be attached. Guess i'll find out sooner or later when I do get to work on it.
This italeri kit is fun but i have a feeling that the Special Hobby kits will be easier to build than this one but that's to be expected cause they're much more recent toolings.
I've built the Hobby Boss UH-1C and that was also nice kit.
Italeri Cobras, also older kits, are ok but I hate the way that the rotor's doghouse is engineered so I'm hoping that Special Hobby kits are better in that area.
Do you have a build thread on here for your Cobra?
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

HarryPhishnuts

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 20, 2024, 10:01:21 AMDo you have a build thread on here for your Cobra?

No, as it's not a Whif. I am kinda following this build though

DogfighterZen

Ok, the Loach is done! :mellow:
Some things came out a bit bad, like the green tinted roof windows of the passenger cabin, the fit was awful and i botched it... Simple build, late Portuguese colonial war "anti-radiation green" scheme with small roundels.
No big deal, i wasn't expecting to build the best model ever of the Loach, much less from this kit.
Better pics and backstory when i finish the Cobra for the family pic with the Huey... :mellow:

You cannot view this attachment.

So, now i'll finally get the Cobra started... :mellow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

frank2056

It looks like a Loach! It's a tough little kit and yours came out great.

HarryPhishnuts

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: frank2056 on August 27, 2024, 10:46:51 AMIt looks like a Loach! It's a tough little kit and yours came out great.

Thanks, Frank! :thumbsup:
Indeed, a tough little bugger... the worst is the less than perfect fit of the clear parts. I chose not to waste more time with it and learn my lessons for the AH-6 Night fox kit... :rolleyes:

Quote from: HarryPhishnuts on August 27, 2024, 11:04:55 AM:thumbsup:  :thumbsup: Love a Loach. That looks great.

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 28, 2024, 06:03:37 AMCome out well  :thumbsup:

Thank you, gentlemen!  :thumbsup:

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

DogfighterZen

Wardukw

Ya nailed that Rui mate....dude that looks great  ;D  ;D

Got a mate who'd kill for a 35th Loach  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

The 1/72 Loach really is a tough kit, especially that canopy. I have mine in the unfinished pile for years, because of it. To get as good a result as Rui's is really impressive.

Quote from: Wardukw on August 29, 2024, 09:40:46 PMGot a mate who'd kill for a 35th Loach  :lol:

I don't know about the newer versions (or the old Revell 1/32 kit)  but the Dragon/DML 1/35 is even worse than the smaller scale Loach!

sandiego89

Nice job!  Complex glass curves in the scale are always fiddly, and never seem to fit well, but you did a good job!  Tint is difficult get right also.  Well done.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

DogfighterZen

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :thumbsup:
The fit of the canopy really put me off but the Loach is part of a series of whifs i want to build for the PoAF starting during the WWII period and going into the future, so i had to finish it.
Did some cutting, cleaning and dry fitting of the Cobra's fuselage and it fits like a dream compared to the Loach... :mellow: