Supersonics at Hawker

Started by The Wooksta!, April 20, 2024, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Or more accurately, the Hawker P.1103, Syd's answer to spec F.155.

This is the latest of Alistair's F.155 range and barring the single engined FD3 and the unsubmitted Avro design, the one I needed to complete the set.  Having pushed for this for some considerable time, I think I should better get on with it.

You cannot view this attachment.

Yer actual basic components.  The intake in particular is beautiful and the undercarriage is very nicely done too.  I do need a few for the stalled trio of P.1121s.  As I'm planning on a late 80s aircraft, I won't be using the rocket boosters.

Warp speed?  A dunk in boiling water should fix that.

The wings.  I did get a proper set, but those print issues are going to need the drill, the hedge trimmers and some household bleach to sort out.  At the very least, a subtle blend of sanding equipment and extreme violence.

Not seen are the underwing tanks I've cast from a mould taken from a set of P.1121 tanks.  I'm curious to know if an in service 1103 would have got the dogtooth leading edge that the later 1121 did get.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Nuts! Sorry about the wings & tail - downside of farming out the printing and one half of the collaboration not being used to either planes or modelling. Is that gutter as bad as it looks on the photo? If so I'll try the wings again and get a fresh pair off as soon as possible
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

The Wooksta!

Sadly, yes it is.  It's kind of mirrored on t'other side too, as rhough the print has shifted and then back again. Only way I can explain it.  Fixable, with sanding and filler.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 20, 2024, 02:54:07 PMFixable, with sanding and filler.

EVERYthing is fixable with sanding and filler, except perhaps our Government.........................  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Wings look like they are made from wood! It would look kind of cool if it was painted to look like wood grain. Without the diagonal stripe looking parts.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 20, 2024, 02:54:07 PMSadly, yes it is.  It's kind of mirrored on t'other side too, as rhough the print has shifted and then back again. Only way I can explain it.  Fixable, with sanding and filler.

Maybe as the printers are already long in the tooth and have been relocated something has come loose. If filler and sanding doesn't do the job then I'll get new ones made and off to you. Sorry, sending iffy bits isn't how I want to do things
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 20, 2024, 03:50:29 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 20, 2024, 02:54:07 PMFixable, with sanding and filler.

EVERYthing is fixable with sanding and filler, except perhaps our Government.........................  :banghead:

True,  :angel:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

It's clearly an experimental wing profile built into an existing wing design so it can be flight-tested.  Right?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on April 20, 2024, 10:22:31 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 20, 2024, 02:54:07 PMSadly, yes it is.  It's kind of mirrored on t'other side too, as rhough the print has shifted and then back again. Only way I can explain it.  Fixable, with sanding and filler.

Maybe as the printers are already long in the tooth and have been relocated something has come loose. If filler and sanding doesn't do the job then I'll get new ones made and off to you. Sorry, sending iffy bits isn't how I want to do things

IIRC there were similar issues with the FD3 wing, but nowhere near as bad.  I'll use some extreme violence to sort out the top and fill underneath.

Print issues aside, looks superb, although the control surfaces need better definition.  A coat of silver primer might help.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

Having given the front a good sanding, I widened the drain holes to get some Lead in to weight the front.

I only had a thick chunk, so took out some frustration on it with a claw hammer until it was either thin enough or I got bored.

The lead is just jammed in and some white tak shoved in behind to keep it there.

Already it's fighting back.  That pointy bit on the radome has stabbed me at least three times.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

Having tried to sort out the warped tail with indifferent results, I've decided on a more drastic solution.

Given I'm doing a late 80s aircraft, it would likely have a slab tailplane like the P.1121.  I did think about a fin mounted RWR but that bullet should be big enough.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

We progress!

The front is on, just tacked in before I flood with superglue and dump a load of baking soda on it. Now to trim down the intake piece.

Really is a lovely piece of work.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

The cleaned up intake.

This was tricky.   I used my usual nail clippers but ended up chipping off some resin and cracking part of the top plate.  The back mounting face needs a good trimming too, or you're left with a 1mm gap. Easy fill?  No, sand it back and carve a channel out of the fuselage.  Fits better now.

Stop!  Filler time!

My tried and trusted superglue and baking soda employed here. Once it's all sanded back, I'll get the intake on.

Rain and a need for ham toasties has stopped play.  This is all being posted in real time too.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 21, 2024, 12:45:57 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 20, 2024, 03:50:29 PM

True,  :angel:

Given industrially vast  quantities of filler, one could quite probably  "fix" several members of any government.....................and no sanding would be necessary, except for aesthetic reasons.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

I think several motorway extensions would be ideal to fill them into...

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: