Supersonics at Hawker

Started by The Wooksta!, April 20, 2024, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratos

Looking forward to see what you're planning here.

The Wooksta!

Having decided to get the fuselage to a complete stage before even tackling the wings, I made a start on cleaning up the air brakes.

You cannot view this attachment.

Got the starboard all cleaned up, having to trim a tad off the side and about a mm or more to get it to sit flush in the recess.  Start cleaning up the second, only to find it's a second starboard one.  I may resort to some thin plastic card.

Looked at the underwing tanks and I'm just going for the inner pair, the outboard pylon is going to be a second set of Red Tops, or possibly Blue Dolphins.

They do need some filler work.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

chrisonord

I am waiting for my kit of this too, it is certainly a good looking aircraft. Mine will have firestreaks  or possibly be a very late version, with skyflash and sidewinders.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Wooksta!

Intake on and has had some sanding.

On to part the second...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Lost Cosmonauts

You're going to have it finished my midnight at this rate!
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on April 21, 2024, 12:10:30 PMYou're going to have it finished my midnight at this rate!

No, as I need to consult the P.1121 book for placement of vents, certainly spill doors around the intake.  And the wings are going to be a lot of work, especially as I'm likely to add the dogtooth leading edge that 1121 got.

Current progress and where I leave it for today...

The intake is in place and filled, including a nick I made with crack handed sanding.  The fin is on and I may keep that step as an intake.  Needs a wash and filler at the base of the fin, but that can wait for a first primer coat.
Also need to drill a hole for the spigot to mount the all flying tailplane.

Then I have the wings to fix. What was that you said about me not needing the plastic card and filler?

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

Just plugged in place, looks more like a proper aircraft.

Also gives a better view of that channel I have to fix, the port wing is definitely the worst of the two, the starboard one is just a lot of sanding.
I know I'll be losing the panel lines for the control surfaces, although I was going to modify the flap lines to clear the u/c doors, based on what was planned for 1121.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Pellson

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 21, 2024, 12:59:27 PMJust plugged in place, looks more like a proper aircraft.

Also gives a better view of that channel I have to fix, the port wing is definitely the worst of the two, the starboard one is just a lot of sanding.
I know I'll be losing the panel lines for the control surfaces, although I was going to modify the flap lines to clear the u/c doors, based on what was planned for 1121.

That channel in the port wing is scary! What's the plan? PSR or cut - align - reattach - PSR?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Lost Cosmonauts

Or... bin it and I'll run a good pair for you

Based on this experience I don't think farming out just the printing side of things works so I'll get the machines and materials back. I'll tidy up the issues folk have had with these kits and then figure out what to do next
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

kitbasher

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on April 22, 2024, 01:54:39 AMOr... bin it and I'll run a good pair for you

Based on this experience I don't think farming out just the printing side of things works so I'll get the machines and materials back. I'll tidy up the issues folk have had with these kits and then figure out what to do next

Maybe first ask customers for feedback on the print quality their kits? 
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Pellson on April 21, 2024, 11:01:35 PMThat channel in the port wing is scary! What's the plan? PSR or cut - align - reattach - PSR?

A strip of thin plastic card and superglue & baking soda on the uppers and some extreme violence with various sanders underneath.

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on April 22, 2024, 01:54:39 AMOr... bin it and I'll run a good pair for you

Please, I'd appreciate it, although I will try fixing them in the meantime.  I've done wonders with far worse.

If I can fix them, they'll go towards the early p.1103 scratchbodge I have a fuselage and some other bits for, the single seater that looks like a BFO Hunter.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Pellson

Having been working in or adjacent with procurement/QA for most of my engineering life, I think outsourcing IS a god idea! It'll allow you to focus on the part of the process you're best at, not the dull and tribulous tasks that will make an otherwise fun and rewarding process into toiling and moaning. The trick, however, is to properly set up your outsourcing, and then also following up until you're pleased with the end result. That will be a process in its own right, but it isn't really difficult, just somewhat tedious in the beginning as there will be some iterative work where your subsupplier might come forward as a bit on the daft side until suddenly catching up and then on his own keeping things together well.

It's been done before, and you can make it!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: kitbasher on April 22, 2024, 03:23:16 AM

Maybe first ask customers for feedback on the print quality their kits? 

Much as I did when I was printing them myself but as I'd gotten help from a friend who decided to run big batches and post all at once. My preference was overruled to my cost

chrisonord

Are you using the kit landing gear and wheels Lee, or an alternative, as I am not too keen on the wheels to be honest, they look very 2 dimensional and lacking detail for my liking.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!