Diagon Alley 00/ho scale revised plans

Started by McColm, April 26, 2024, 07:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

As you know I'm a Harry Potter fan and in an ideal world I would have the Hogwarts Express running around the Hogwarts Castle and grounds but my council flat isn't big enough to accommodate such a layout so a compromise in 00/ho scale. I have looked into using TT and N scale but the prices are a bit high even in the secondhand market.
My version of Diagon Alley isn't going to be an accurate replica in scale as the one found at the Warner Brothers London Studio Tour nor is it possible for me to build a scale model of the theme parks.
I am planning to buy a printer for my tablet so that I can print labels and signage to change the appearance of Superquick and Metcalfe cardboard kits. I know that Jools Holland also uses a printer for his model railway layout.
The Alley will look like a parade of shops along an embankment, I have seen a few European station kits that resemble Fenchurch Street and Marylebone Station on eBay.
The layout will have a castle in the background but not Hogwarts and there will be a Hogwarts Express but not the one in the books or the films an ex-Virgin HST.
 My battery powered train can run on Hornby track although it's a bit noisy and the clockwork trains will be getting different bodyshells.

Steel Penguin

sounds like a plan  :thumbsup:    and a good one,  I know from my late father in laws layouts, that the compromise between scale, and scenery is a delicate thing to balance..
heres hoping for a few good pics when your getting there.  ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

McColm

Quote from: Steel Penguin on April 26, 2024, 09:46:20 AMsounds like a plan  :thumbsup:    and a good one,  I know from my late father in laws layouts, that the compromise between scale, and scenery is a delicate thing to balance..
heres hoping for a few good pics when your getting there.  ;D
Thanks, I will be posting pictures of the progress. Having found a bargain on eBay for two Superquick building packs C1 and C2. The chemist, cinema, office, post office,  hotel, tea room and pub. A few building improvements using different textured papers will help them blend in a bit.

buzzbomb

Great plan, hope you have fun doing it.
There are some terrific Book Nook style kit options out there as well on the normal Selling platforms.

I had a crack at a home made Bladerunner inspired version and it came out ok as well. They are a bit of fun and you get to play with perspective a bit

McColm

Quote from: buzzbomb on April 26, 2024, 04:30:10 PMGreat plan, hope you have fun doing it.
There are some terrific Book Nook style kit options out there as well on the normal Selling platforms.

I had a crack at a home made Bladerunner inspired version and it came out ok as well. They are a bit of fun and you get to play with perspective a bit

Thanks  :thumbsup:

McColm

I do have four of the Wizarding World 3D card shops which I thought was a good idea at the time however two are falling apart so I can utilise the shops signage although they are not the same scale as the 00/ho kits.

Rick Lowe

But does that matter?
Shop signage and lettering sizes are all over the place, everyone trying to outdo each other to be visible.

McColm

Superquick Station Road has the cafe, post office, cinema, solicitors and the pub with rooms. Boots the chemist didn't turn out too well but I've kept the parts so I can use them on other buildings. The Superquick C1 and C2 cardboard kits don't provide any glazing just printed windows with curtains.
The post office is undergoing new management and is being turned in a Quidditch Supplier, the street is a bit squiffy meaning that no two building foundations are parallel to each other. They don't have any roofs or backs to them yet.
I think that I will try 00 gauge Metcalfe cardboard kits next and get some brickwork & stonework papers plus glazing.

Rick Lowe

The way the street is growing like that puts me very much in mind of Ankh-Morepork...  ;)

McColm

If you have ever walked the entire length of Falmouth high street down in Cornwall you'll notice its not straight either although it's pedestrian only in certain areas . A lot of changes have taken place with a lot of shops closing down. Some have been relocated in Truro.

PR19_Kit

That's because it follows the coast line of the northern edge of the town for much of the way.

Been there numerous times, both for work and leisure too, a lovely place.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 02, 2024, 10:53:34 PMThe way the street is growing like that puts me very much in mind of Ankh-Morepork...  ;)

;D  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Olivanders has taken over the lease of The Regent Restaurant, the Quidditch Supplies has taken over the Post Office, Weasley Wizard Wheezes have moved into the ABC cinema and Gringots Bank has a new branch at the former Norwich Union and S.Quinn & Co. Estate Agents +
Surveyors. The Red Lion could be the Leaky Cauldron.