DONE@p.5 +++ 1:6 Rei Ayanami in Plugsuit [Evangelion dojinshi/同人誌/what-if]

Started by Dizzyfugu, April 28, 2024, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

This build makes me want try one of these until I look at the face and hair and rethink. This is so good!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on May 25, 2024, 10:12:38 PMThis build makes me want try one of these until I look at the face and hair and rethink. This is so good!

Faces are the real challenge of such large-scale figues, esp. the eyes, when you know what the "real" benchmark looks like. But to quote Yoda again: "Do, or don't, there's nothing in between" - if you start painting eyes you must do it with decision, hesitation and over-corrections ruin the figure. And having some reference pics is helpful, too. Most interesting, there's apparently no "how to" concerning eye painting. Some people (like me) prefer to paint "outside in", while others start with the pupil (probably for a "straight" look) and work "inside-out" from there. Using decals in this case here was a novelty for me, and even though decals and face did not match properly and had to be trimmed and tuned, there are some practical benefits like really thin and symmetric eyebrows and better color grading.

The rest of such figures is also quite different from vehicle stuff. There are normally only few parts (that's one reason why I like pilot suits and similar garment, and I'd recommend something like this for a "beginner", too...). When the kit is cast well, esp. originals (which are expensive, though), building and PSR are nothing to be afraid of. But there are a lot of poor re-casts and grey stuff out there that deserve the "garage kit" label. The kit here is a relatively cheap recast, too, but the casting quality was/is surprisingly good. However, stay away from vinyl kits.
As another side note: at 1:6 and more you also have the benefit that the figure is so big that shading effects are not necessarily required. But that's personal taste, and in may case it's also a factor that I do not use an airbrush, just rattle cans for large uniform areas or very basic shading.

zenrat

I read all the figure painting features in the modelling magazines and get quite confused by their complex descriptions of how they paint them.  While they achieve amazing results I don't have that much time to spare.
So i've worked out a technique using acrylics which works for me and gives me the results I want (in 1/35) but which isn't too complicated or long winded.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I have no probs with painting figures at all, I just don't model them.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

I'm like Fred here..I like watching these dudes on the tube of you who paint Warhammer 40k figures..their painting skills are superb and they are very entertaining to watch.
What gets me is the time and the effort they put into their work and shading ..pre shading I know ..then it's high lights and low lights and the annoying thing is I can't see em .
Subtle changes in light colours are very difficult to see for my eyes so since I am going to paint figures and some big ones I've decided that mine will have as little skin showing as possible 😊
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Steel Penguin

painting 28mm figures for wargame is easy ( no really it is)  and is along long way from painting one for a close up  / magazine cover.
for my space marine is tamiya flat yellow for a body cover, citadel wyrm purple for the sholder pads, tamiya gunmetal for the gun and hoses,, then an ink wash with brown ink  a tiny dry brush to correct some of the ink over runs, and do the helmet lenses...   im not kidding or exaggerating, :wacko:      the amount of time that a cover figure takes is hours more ( i know someone who has been commissioned to do covers multiple times,) and you paint in a totaly different way, as you need to make the paint look right at a much greater magnification, and from one direction so that it looks correct for that single photo.
and the figures that look so good at that, tend to be far too busy to look good en-mass at arms length, as they would do on a table.

I freely admit i follow builds like the one Dizzy is doing with baited  breath as im always eager to learn new tricks to use on larger scale figures,  as what i said above for 28mm chunky figures, dosnt scale up well, to 1:35 or to 1:24 or 1:16  i have to put a lot more thought into 35 stuff, so it dosnt look sloppy,   and i dread to think what my large scale stuff will look like when i do them  ( Brierious from Appleseed and 2 or 3 of the Knights Sabres power suits from bubble gum Crisis)  but it will be better due to shamelessly copying from builds like this.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Wardukw

Quote from: Steel Penguin on May 26, 2024, 12:23:13 PMpainting 28mm figures for wargame is easy ( no really it is)  and is along long way from painting one for a close up  / magazine cover.
for my space marine is tamiya flat yellow for a body cover, citadel wyrm purple for the sholder pads, tamiya gunmetal for the gun and hoses,, then an ink wash with brown ink  a tiny dry brush to correct some of the ink over runs, and do the helmet lenses...   im not kidding or exaggerating, :wacko:      the amount of time that a cover figure takes is hours more ( i know someone who has been commissioned to do covers multiple times,) and you paint in a totaly different way, as you need to make the paint look right at a much greater magnification, and from one direction so that it looks correct for that single photo.
and the figures that look so good at that, tend to be far too busy to look good en-mass at arms length, as they would do on a table.

I freely admit i follow builds like the one Dizzy is doing with baited  breath as im always eager to learn new tricks to use on larger scale figures,  as what i said above for 28mm chunky figures, dosnt scale up well, to 1:35 or to 1:24 or 1:16  i have to put a lot more thought into 35 stuff, so it dosnt look sloppy,   and i dread to think what my large scale stuff will look like when i do them  ( Brierious from Appleseed and 2 or 3 of the Knights Sabres power suits from bubble gum Crisis)  but it will be better due to shamelessly copying from builds like this.

Penguin mate that sounds like an Imperial Fists army your talking about or a chapter off shoot of em .
The painting those guys do for photography or the golden daemon competition is incredible..hundreds of hours work especially on the larger models or dioramas ..that's painting I could never do even tho I did have my own 40k Blood Angel's / White Scars army ...a pretty decent size at a smeg over 19000 points .
Painting them was rather simple and I don't remember going to nuts on the main forces or even the big guys ..Captains ..librarians and so on .
Still tho I'm going to build a Chaos Knight from the Verlinden 120mm Battle of Agincourt 1415 kit ..it's missing the right parts to build the actual model but I've got a pile of 120mm parts I'm gonna use along with a nice pile of Warhammer Chaos and Tyranid bits.
This I think will be a good size to try going a little nuts with  ;D  :wacko:

Dizzyfugu

The Knight Sabers were my first venture into large-scale character figures - even though these were 1:8 Elfin vinyl kits (cheap and gruesome unlicensed recasts) that sent me through the deepest horrors of this model kit genre... But I got the vigilante quartet still on display, leart a LOT with them about this type of kits (and since then never touched a vinly thing again, even though a have an original vintage vinly Belldandy in The Stash).  ;D

BTW, photo shooting completed, and here's an early scenic teaser with tha A.I.-inspired Rei, talking with Mari Makinami somewhere in the NERV hallways...

Neon Genesis Evangelion +++ 1:6 Rei Ayanami in Plugsuit [what-if/dojinshi/同人誌/based on A.I. generated artwork]
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Nothing new to show yet, but editing of the more than 20 "scenic pics" has begun.  :mellow:

Wardukw

Dizzyfugu

Finally..! :mellow: A tough project, though, and at first I was a bit disappointed by the kit's face which does not resemble the anime Rei Ayanami at all. However, once completed, the face and the figure's expression matches the A.I.-generated, rather realistic picture of the character more than expected, as if the figure would rather be a physical model of that picture than of the "real" anime Ayanami. Odd, but a pleasant and conciliatory outcome of a quite challenging conversion project. And the colorful plugsuit variant looks pretty good, too - reminds me a little of Evel Knievel's outfits?  :unsure:

Here come a LOT of scenic shots, a few were arranged together with 1:6 scale NGE action figures (MediCom Toys) for some interaction:

Neon Genesis Evangelion +++ 1:6 Rei Ayanami in (fictional) Plugsuit [what-if/dojinshi/同人誌/based on A.I. generated artwork]
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Neon Genesis Evangelion +++ 1:6 Rei Ayanami in (fictional) Plugsuit [what-if/dojinshi/同人誌/based on A.I. generated artwork]
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and, as a reminder, the inspiring A.I.-generated artwork as a benchmark:

Neon Genesis Evangelion +++ 1:6 Rei Ayanami in Plugsuit [what-if/dojinshi/同人誌/based on A.I. generated artwork]
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A complete overview with all WiP-Pics as well as a coherent description can be found here in a project album at FlickR:mellow: 

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Thank you very much!  :bow:  An exotic topic, but it was good to "build" something different, mentally and also to flex skills.  ;D