Hammerhead from Space Above and Beyond - Done

Started by buzzbomb, May 11, 2024, 05:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Remember Space Above and Beyond... reasonably good Sci Fi show.. canned after one season, the marines were ground pounders one week and the next in the SA-43 Endo/Exo-Atmospheric Attack Jet  or the Hammerhead.

Some of it filmed in Australia where the full sized mockup lived for a while. Apparently there is an interesting story about some Russian sailors seeing the the full size mockup getting shipped to the US which lead to a flurry of frantic picture taking.
So one of my Resin 3D buddies printed out a Hammerhead from Thingiverse, we went largish, around 1/48, but that meant it had to be cut up a bit to fit on the print plate.
So fuselage in half and two wings complete with stores. The print came out ok, the stores were very average.
Somewhere I have a picture of the parts... cannot find it though. Image this in 4 bits

Things did not start out well, the join of the fuselage halves moved during the epoxy glue setting phase. Bin it.. start again, new fuselage halves

Warp forward 6-8 months later (around now  ;)  ) with replacement fuselage bits.. have another crack. Lots of Apoxy Sculpt to fill in gaps at the joins as trying to get the joins flush with
this resin is pretty hard. The stuff is rock hard and sometimes can shatter on you when drilling and sawing.

Better this time (see first picture). Using some 1/48 and 1/72 Aircraft missiles for stores and a bit of 3D created gubbins for sensor pods

Ok that went well so into the paint shop, this is the preliminary work with post shading. The Canopy is still masked off as that was painted first in gloss. It is solid so nothing to see inside.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

frank2056

Looks good, Brian! Your friend should try out  different resins; some are called ABS-like because they aren't as brittle as the generic ones. Siraya Tech has their Build resin, which is very strong (can be easily drilled without shattering)

NARSES2

Not aware of the series, but that does look good  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Nice.  :thumbsup:  The paint already helps a lot, the bare parts looked quite dubious.

Wardukw

Yep I remember that show ..I did enjoy it 😀
I also remember that they used the steering wheel from a drag car as a yoke for their craft ..I found that funny 😁.

Your build is looking great so far Bri 👌 👍.
I'm going to keep an eye on this 👀 😏
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Weaver

Yep - watched it and liked it, even if the pilot-grunt crewman was a ridiculous idea.

The transport craft (can't recall the name) were pretty decent too. I may be biased though, 'cos they looked distinctly "inspired" by some things I drew while I was at school and didn't show to anyone... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I vaguely remember it.  I think I enjoyed it.  But then I would watch most space opera scifi on tv back then because there was so little.
Something about them being clones or vat grown with a "bellybutton" on the back of their necks and barcodes.  Or am I getting confused?
Maybe with Dark Angel which had Jessica Alba.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Martin H

Quote from: Weaver on May 13, 2024, 05:28:08 AMYep - watched it and liked it, even if the pilot-grunt crewman was a ridiculous idea.

The transport craft (can't recall the name) were pretty decent too. I may be biased though, 'cos they looked distinctly "inspired" by some things I drew while I was at school and didn't show to anyone... ;)
Like wise. Had a soft spot for the hammerhead since seeing the show. I have a fantastic plastics 72nd scale build in my sci fi small craft collection. I think there is a photo of it someware in my work in progress thread.

And the transports were the ISSCV,  Intra Solar system Transport Vehicle
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on May 13, 2024, 05:48:55 AMI vaguely remember it.  I think I enjoyed it.  But then I would watch most space opera scifi on tv back then because there was so little.
Something about them being clones or vat grown with a "bellybutton" on the back of their necks and barcodes.  Or am I getting confused?
Maybe with Dark Angel which had Jessica Alba.

Back of the neck. Makes it easy to distinguish who is playing which part, just show the back of the neck and you can tell if they were home grown of factory-produced.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rick Lowe

'Home Grown' -  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:

Yeah, it was 'Dark Angel' where Jessica and her tube brethren/sisteren had barcodes on the back of their necks. X-5 they were designated, IIRC - apropos of sharing mostly useless information.

Still have a soft spot for young Jess...  :wub:

Darnit - now I have to decide whether I like the craft enough to print one, rather than using a Mig-37 to cobble one out of, or whether that project was just to use it for something.
There's always a White Falcon-type craft, though...

buzzbomb

Almost done, so a few progress shots
Underside painting, it is pretty bland under there

It has a solid cockpit and this is probably as good as I am ever going to get it to look right.

Decals going on. I chose to laser print the USMC markings decals. Either that or piece together, line up and space individual lettering.. printing much more efficient.

Hanging the whoop a$$ underneath.

Fit the chin gun and tidy up a few bits then the beauty shots. Thanks for watching so far

Rick Lowe

Y'all sure she's packin' enough heat there, Tex? ;D
What about some over-wing pylons?

Coming along well.  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Packing lots of explosive goodies Buzzy  ;D
It's looking great bud 👍 👌
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

That's is Space Above and Beyond fans. Well good enough for me for this build.

Thanks for all the support along the way.