"By Grabthar's Hammer,...

Started by The Rat, May 13, 2024, 07:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

...by the Suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged."

I have a love/hate repationship with Hobby Boss. For inexpensive kits, you get a lot for your money, but you also lose a lot of money if parts are missing. Head over to The Rat's Nest in the modeling blogs section to read about that debacle. I am pressing forward with the F-84E build, waiting for the replacement canopy to show up, and painting has commenced. Cockpit is mostly done, masked off to paint the aircraft itself. One progress pic so far, believe it or not this is only two, yes, count 'em, 2, pieces! There is enough plastic making up the front section that no weight is needed, balance has already been checked. Colour scheme has been decided, decals have been made ready for printing, backstory commenced. And yes, vengeance is involved!  :wacko:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

First coat of Tamiya X-2 Gloss White. Colour balance on the camera looks a bit off, photo was taken under LEDs in the spray booth.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

2996 Victor

Looking forward to seeing where you're going with this! But that first pic - that's really just two parts?

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

The Rat

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 14, 2024, 02:05:06 AMBut that first pic - that's really just two parts?

Cheers,
Mark

'tis indeedy.

2996 Victor

Quote from: The Rat on May 14, 2024, 10:24:59 AM
Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 14, 2024, 02:05:06 AMBut that first pic - that's really just two parts?

Cheers,
Mark

'tis indeedy.
Ay caramba! That's pretty impressive moulding!
Mark's workbench:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 14, 2024, 10:38:00 AMAy caramba! That's pretty impressive moulding!

Quite a few Hobbyboss kits are moulded like that, I've seen one where the fuselage AND the wing were all in one piece! I think it was an Me-109 ir a derivative.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

2996 Victor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 14, 2024, 12:24:43 PM
Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 14, 2024, 10:38:00 AMAy caramba! That's pretty impressive moulding!

Quite a few Hobbyboss kits are moulded like that, I've seen one where the fuselage AND the wing were all in one piece! I think it was an Me-109 ir a derivative.
I've only ever started a Hobby Boss Fw190D in 1/48 and although there aren't a whole host of parts, it's fairly conventional otherwise and the breakdown of parts is very well thought out. I really must finish it! :D
Mark's workbench:

chrisonord

I have built a couple of these, 2 mig 15's and an F-86. They all went together very quickly and without fuss, which to me at least, can be good medicine. Looking forward to seeing what emerges. :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Charlie_c67

Watch out for the gap between the nose inlet and the front undercarriage bay. Shouldn't be there as far as I could tell!
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid."

The Rat

Quote from: Charlie_c67 on May 14, 2024, 06:43:48 PMWatch out for the gap between the nose inlet and the front undercarriage bay. Shouldn't be there as far as I could tell!

Great, now you tell me!  ;D  Yeah, noticed that after I glued the inlet on.

kerick

Quote from: The Rat on May 14, 2024, 09:10:17 PM
Quote from: Charlie_c67 on May 14, 2024, 06:43:48 PMWatch out for the gap between the nose inlet and the front undercarriage bay. Shouldn't be there as far as I could tell!

Plastic shim should help with that.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

Coming along, and I got an e-mail that says the canopy is also coming along. Thanks, Hobby Boss, but it's too late for niceties.

Charlie_c67

Quote from: kerick on May 14, 2024, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: The Rat on May 14, 2024, 09:10:17 PM

Seem to remember just bunging in some Vallejo plastic putty to disguise it when I did mine.

Quote from: The Rat on May 15, 2024, 11:18:05 AMComing along, and I got an e-mail that says the canopy is also coming along. Thanks, Hobby Boss, but it's too late for niceties.

Plastic shim should help with that.

Are you doing it in the Thunderbirds scheme?
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid."

The Rat

Quote from: Charlie_c67 on May 15, 2024, 03:32:33 PMAre you doing it in the Thunderbirds scheme?

Nope, custom decals that are almost ready to print.

The Rat

Anti-glare panels done, canopy on. When attaching canopies I often use a length of tape, doubled over to form a Y, and stick in on top, makes it a bit easier to handle. When the glue dries, the tape comes off. Framing looks poor close up, I should have sprayed it instead of brushing it. And on the rear starboard quarter is a round piece of glass, with a white frame, that it would be easier to have a decal for.