Royal New Zealand Air Force AMX-K

Started by CammNut, May 14, 2024, 02:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CammNut

Plans to upgrade the Royal New Zealand Air Force's small fleet of McDonnell Douglas A-4K and TA-4K Skyhawks in the mid-1980s under Project Kahu were postponed by an economic recession. Once the economy had recovered, the RNZAF in the late 1980s took another look at its requirements and decided instead to replace rather than upgrade its Skyhawks. The subsequent competition led to selection of the AMX-K and two-seat AMX-TK offered by AMX International, a joint venture between Italy's Aermacchi and Brazil's Embraer, The aircraft were fitted with Fiar Grifo multimode radars and armed with, among other weapons, Kongsberg Penguin anti-ship missiles.

This is Italeri's new 1/72 AMX Ghibli. It is a nice kit, lots of parts, lovely detail and a great fit (only filler used was where I messed up). I have always wanted to model the AMX (and have made HobbyBoss' 1/48 kit) but until now there has never been a 1/72 kit of this little cutie. Weird that Italeri would finally release a kit just as the AMX (as the A-11 Ghibli) was retired from Italian Air Force service. It is still flying with the Brazilian Air Force as the modernised A-1M. But the AMX never had any export success, which is a shame as it was a true "little Tornado" and very capable.

She is tiny and quite, quite lovely. Sorry about the picture quality, A grey day here.

Model is largely OOB, painted in the three-colour European 1 scheme initially carried by the RNZAF's Project Kahu Skyhawks (later they had an all-over green scheme with low-vis markings, but I prefer this scheme). Decals are from the kit for the stencils, Ventura Decals sheet V7281 for the tiny national markings and home-printed for the even smaller codes and squadron markings. The Penguins are MPH Hobbies 3D-printed resin (these are meant for helicopters like the New Zealand Defence Force's Kaman SH-2G Seasprites and have folded fins, so had to be modified).

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

This looks great! NZ would have been a natural for this aircraft. I did a Fujimi Skyhawk in this scheme quite a while ago. Now I have to get an Italeri kit of the AMX and try it out.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

That DOES look good, specially as a 2 seater.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Very nice, a very convincing choice of finish 👍
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

Nice, and looks very natural/plausible.  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 14, 2024, 10:47:00 PMThat DOES look good, specially as a 2 seater.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

That's the Single seater Kit. Although I agree, it does look nice. Gives me an idea to do one of my BAe Hawks in a similar scheme.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

CammNut

Thanks folks. I love the AMX. I have the 1/72 Italeri two-seater and plans for it (in an even more difficult colour scheme).

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on May 15, 2024, 04:53:13 AMThat's the Single seater Kit. Although I agree, it does look nice. Gives me an idea to do one of my BAe Hawks in a similar scheme.

Oh sorry, it's that big hump of a canopy that made me think it was 2 seater.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 15, 2024, 11:48:03 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 15, 2024, 04:53:13 AMThat's the Single seater Kit. Although I agree, it does look nice. Gives me an idea to do one of my BAe Hawks in a similar scheme.

Oh sorry, it's that big hump of a canopy that made me think it was 2 seater.

Easy mistake to make Kit, the single seat Hawk has a BIG canopy as well which gives a simmilar look to the AMX.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Very very nice 👌 👍
Would be cool if we had the AMX cause we've got zero pure combat aircraft in our so called air force .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe