Hawker Siddeley Gnat All-through Jet Trainer

Started by Glenn Gilbertson, May 17, 2024, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

That was such a logical idea I wonder that they didn't do it for real.

Maybe the size limitation for Gnat pilots put hem off, any taller pupils wouldn't have fitted.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

I've understood that the Gnat wasn't/isn't a particularly easy aircraft to fly. Perhaps the different wing gives it more stability.

I remember a comment in one of the UK magazines (Aeroplane or Fly Past?) saying that one of the period fighters would be a good lead-in to the Gnat  ;D  Not sure if the Lightning or the Hunter was mentioned.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Very pretty, well done.

Quote from: perttime on May 31, 2024, 06:10:56 AMI've understood that the Gnat wasn't/isn't a particularly easy aircraft to fly. Perhaps the different wing gives it more stability.

I remember a comment in one of the UK magazines (Aeroplane or Fly Past?) saying that one of the period fighters would be a good lead-in to the Gnat  ;D  Not sure if the Lightning or the Hunter was mentioned.

The Gnat T1 was approached with caution by taller pilots - I recall many years ago a Leuchars Phantom jock telling me an ejection by a taller pilot could see them lose their kneecaps.  Consequently the RAF also used Hunter T7s in the trainer role.  Much relief all round when the Hawk entered service.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Quote from: Glenn Gilbertson on May 30, 2024, 04:07:20 AMThe GA drawing showed parallel-sided drop tanks, so, "cut down Airfix Hunter tanks,". i thought. That eliminated the parallel portion, so I have another scheme!
 Decided to change the nose pattern, and thought aluminium enamel might cover forty-year old dayglo orange without an undercoat. Wrong. Should know better by now.

They look like the smaller tanks you get in the Revell Hunter kit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

perttime

Quote from: kitbasher on June 01, 2024, 03:26:37 AMThe Gnat T1 was approached with caution by taller pilots - I recall many years ago a Leuchars Phantom jock telling me an ejection by a taller pilot could see them lose their kneecaps.  Consequently the RAF also used Hunter T7s in the trainer role.  Much relief all round when the Hawk entered service.
My brother in law worked for the Finnish Air Force. Logistics or purchasing, or something like that. He was cleared to ride in the back on some jets - but his thighs were too long for some. I think he was too tall to eject from a Draken.

PR19_Kit

I had a chance to sit in a Gnat once, in the 70s, and I was too tall to manage it. I'm 6'1" and there are lots taller than me.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I'm 5"10" with short legs.  Does this mean i'm built to be a fighter pilot?
Cool.
 ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on June 01, 2024, 05:45:35 AMI'm 5"10" with short legs.  Does this mean i'm built to be a fighter pilot?
Cool.
 ;)
Actually yeah mate you'd do all right ..the right proportions so to speck ..guys like me 6'2 are not that great ..it's about pushing the blood and keeping it in ya head for the high G stuff .
That F86 Sabre I sat in was without a parachute under my butt and even then my head was like a inch away from the canopy 😆
So like Kit I'd never fit into a Gant  .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I once got to sit in the front cockpit of a 617 Sqdn Tornado GR4, and there was no way I could have safely flown it! Even without sitting on a chute pack my knees were UNDER the panel, so if I'd have to eject I'd have left my kneecaps behind. NOT a good deal..............

Tornado pilots must all be shorties.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2024, 02:03:05 PMI once got to sit in the front cockpit of a 617 Sqdn Tornado GR4, and there was no way I could have safely flown it! Even without sitting on a chute pack my knees were UNDER the panel, so if I'd have to eject I'd have left my kneecaps behind. NOT a good deal..............

Tornado pilots must all be shorties.
What I have discovered is alot of aircraft ive had the pleasure of sitting in are not designed for tall pilots..that's from old like the Catalina and Lancaster to post war ..the F86 and A4 .
Choppers tho I've had not real problems with..there's alot more room for us taller folks  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Young lad I knew in the late-80's wanted to be a pilot in the RAAF but was told he couldn't fly Mirages, as he was 6'3" & the tallest you could be to fly a Mirage was 5'11" (or you'd lose your legs from the knees down if you had to eject). That left him with F-111s or logistics aircraft. I think he still went ahead & joined.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit