High Conspicuity Hawker Hurricane mkI 'bee'

Started by MikoLee, May 20, 2024, 02:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

MikoLee

Thanks for the kind words guys, very encouraging

A special mention to thank Mr Tamiya-san and his incredible masking tape!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: MikoLee on May 22, 2024, 01:06:50 AMA special mention to thank Mr Tamiya-san and his incredible masking tape!

Hell yes, where would we be without it? Other suppliers may be available but none are as good in my experience.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

2996 Victor

this was actually done using a Spitfire PR19s for EE Lightnings
[/quote]
I've been trying to find out a bit more about this but can't seem to dig up any info - could you give any pointers, please?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

MikoLee

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 22, 2024, 06:50:10 AMthis was actually done using a Spitfire PR19s for EE Lightnings

Yep, I mentioned this in my first post, although the PR19 of CFE (PS893) was in standard day camouflage of dark green, dark sea grey, medium sea grey undersides

PS893 is currently with The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

Seen here at RAF Binbrook  in 1963 with a Lightning F3 (XP885) of the 'Air Fighting Development Squadron'

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 22, 2024, 06:50:10 AMI've been trying to find out a bit more about this but can't seem to dig up any info - could you give any pointers, please?

Thanks,
Mark

The Hurricane however is a 'what if?' from my vivid imagination based on high visibility colours applied to 'target tug' aircraft since WWII

Miko (what iffing my way through the day)

2996 Victor

Quote from: MikoLee on May 23, 2024, 10:12:26 AM
Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 22, 2024, 06:50:10 AMthis was actually done using a Spitfire PR19s for EE Lightnings

Yep, I mentioned this in my first post, although the PR19 of CFE (PS893) was in standard day camouflage of dark green, dark sea grey, medium sea grey undersides

PS893 is currently with The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

Seen here at RAF Binbrook  in 1963 with a Lightning F3 (XP885) of the 'Air Fighting Development Squadron'

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 22, 2024, 06:50:10 AMI've been trying to find out a bit more about this but can't seem to dig up any info - could you give any pointers, please?

Thanks,
Mark

The Hurricane however is a 'what if?' from my vivid imagination based on high visibility colours applied to 'target tug' aircraft since WWII

Miko (what iffing my way through the day)
Thanks, Miko, that's interesting about the Spitfire - thanks for the extra info. I was expecting the real world Spit to have had a hi-viz scheme, too!

The Hurricane looks fab!

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

PR19_Kit

IIRC the Spitfire v Lightning flights were to figure out how the RAF's Lightnings, then based in Malaysia, could deal with the likely 'enemy' of the period, the Indonesian Air Force who were flying P-51s then.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Now that, right there, is what we call 'history.' Incredible photo showing the change in generations.
Last RAF Spitfire flight operation: April 1, 1954, photographic reconnaissance flight in Malaysia.
First operational Lightning: July 11, 1960. Barely 6 years later.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

2996 Victor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 23, 2024, 11:51:38 AMIIRC the Spitfire v Lightning flights were to figure out how the RAF's Lightnings, then based in Malaysia, could deal with the likely 'enemy' of the period, the Indonesian Air Force who were flying P-51s then.
Quote from: The Rat on May 23, 2024, 12:10:49 PM

Now that, right there, is what we call 'history.' Incredible photo showing the change in generations.
Last RAF Spitfire flight operation: April 1, 1954, photographic reconnaissance flight in Malaysia.
First operational Lightning: July 11, 1960. Barely 6 years later.
Fascinating stuff, guys, thanks for sharing the extra info.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 23, 2024, 11:51:38 AMIIRC the Spitfire v Lightning flights were to figure out how the RAF's Lightnings, then based in Malaysia, could deal with the likely 'enemy' of the period, the Indonesian Air Force who were flying P-51s then.

Indeed.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Would a Firesteak home properly on the exhausts of a Merlin powered P-51 though? Or would it be an all-guns engagement?

The latter could have been difficult as the Lighting F6s didn't normally carry the under-belly gun pack.

Alternatively a very close Mach 2 fly-by may well have thrown the Mustang into 'uncontrolled flight into terrain'.  ;)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 24, 2024, 04:11:58 AMAlternatively a very close Mach 2 fly-by may well have thrown the Mustang into 'uncontrolled flight into terrain'.  ;)

Exactly what I was going to suggest!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Glenn Gilbertson