Fast Jet Aircraft not represented in RAF fighter squadrons

Started by MikoLee, May 21, 2024, 02:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikoLee

I've been looking for an RAF squadron that operated all the fast jets in service from Meteor to Typhoon, I don't think there is one, the nearest I have found is. . .

56 sqn, Meteor Vampire Swift Hunter Lightning Tornado. . . .  no Javelin or Typhoon

74 sqn Meteor Hunter Lightning Phantom . . . no Vampire Swift Tornado Typhoon

5 sqn Vampire Meteor Javelin Hunter Lightning Tornado . . . .no Swift Phantom Typhoon

11sqn Vampire Meteor Javelin Lightning Tornado Typhoon . . . no Swift Hunter or Phantom

. . . So, an interesting group build might be to build an aircraft in the squadron markings it never had! a 56sqn Typhoon would be good, or a 5sqn Phantom

Miko (56 and 11 squadrons seem to cover them all)

Nick

That's a great way to start a whiff!
  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

You could even choose one of the wartime only squadrons and build the full range of aircraft that you think they should have had postwar.

kerick

The way units get shut down and reactivated it's no wonder a type got skipped.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

MikoLee

Quote from: kerick on May 21, 2024, 06:12:40 AMThe way units get shut down and reactivated it's no wonder a type got skipped.

And the longevity some squadrons have with a type, 5 and 11 squadrons persisted for over thirty years with the Lightning completely missing the Phantom era!

Gondor

Quote from: MikoLee on May 21, 2024, 02:53:17 AM11sqn Vampire Meteor Javelin Lightning Tornado Typhoon . . . no Swift Hunter or Phantom

I have plans to remedy the lack of Phantom flown by 11Sqn, when I get around to it  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

MikoLee

Quote from: Gondor on May 25, 2024, 01:55:24 PM
Quote from: MikoLee on May 21, 2024, 02:53:17 AM11sqn Vampire Meteor Javelin Lightning Tornado Typhoon . . . no Swift Hunter or Phantom

I have plans to remedy the lack of Phantom flown by 11Sqn, when I get around to it  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Brilliant!! are you thinking Dark Green, Dark Sea Green tactical camouflage or more of a Barley Grey air superiority scheme?

If you do, I'll do the corresponding 5 squadron Phantom, it would be like the Lightning was retired in the mid seventies!

Miko 

Gondor

Quote from: MikoLee on May 25, 2024, 11:38:28 PM
Quote from: Gondor on May 25, 2024, 01:55:24 PM

Gondor

Brilliant!! are you thinking Dark Green, Dark Sea Green tactical camouflage or more of a Barley Grey air superiority scheme?

If you do, I'll do the corresponding 5 squadron Phantom, it would be like the Lightning was retired in the mid seventies!

Miko 

Mine will be in the Barley Grey and will be with its twins as it's part of a diorama with the same aircraft, XV462, in three stages of its life and all with an M61 in the nose. See Here and Here

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

MikoLee

Quote from: Gondor on May 26, 2024, 01:51:23 AMMine will be in the Barley Grey and will be with its twins as it's part of a diorama with the same aircraft, XV462, in three stages of its life and all with an M61 in the nose. See Here and Here

Gondor

Clever stuff! Super impressed by that!

So my 5 Squadron  aircraft will be an FG1 (F-4K) in the markings found on 43 or 111 squadrons after their retirement from Royal Navy service

Miko (gonna need another FG1 kit!!, Airfix maybe?)

Gondor

Quote from: MikoLee on May 27, 2024, 03:00:15 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 26, 2024, 01:51:23 AMMine will be in the Barley Grey and will be with its twins as it's part of a diorama with the same aircraft, XV462, in three stages of its life and all with an M61 in the nose. See Here and Here

Gondor

So my 5 Squadron  aircraft will be an FG1 (F-4K) in the markings found on 43 or 111 squadrons after their retirement from Royal Navy service

Five Squadron had a red band across the fin or as bars either side of the fuselage roundel and a green Maple leaf in a white disc on the fin, in the band if it was on the fit=n, or by itself. Some of the lightnings flew with the Maple Leaf in it's disk with the round art of the number 5 around the disk.

Gondor

MikoLee

Quote from: Gondor on May 27, 2024, 03:26:37 AM
Quote from: MikoLee on May 27, 2024, 03:00:15 AM

Gondor

Five Squadron had a red band across the fin or as bars either side of the fuselage roundel and a green Maple leaf in a white disc on the fin, in the band if it was on the fit=n, or by itself. Some of the lightnings flew with the Maple Leaf in it's disk with the round art of the number 5 around the disk.

Gondor

Yep, I'm 'very' familiar with 5sqn,  and their Canadian connection, along with 11sqn they were local to me in North Lincolnshire, they were part of the sound track of my life as a lad, I have few 5qn decal sets collected over the years so I'm good to go once I get an F-4 kit sorted, although, the Tornado F3 markings might be better for a Phantom, you may remember they were the box a
rt markings for the Airfix Tornado ADV on first issue.

I'm reminded of seeing their five ship aerobatic display at the RAF Coningsby air show back in the 80's

Miko (frangas non flectas)