F-22 Raptor in foreign service

Started by MikoLee, May 22, 2024, 06:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Yeah just had a look myself and saw the Aeroplast link.  No instructions though (there are for the Airfix kit).

May be a mediocre kit but it's good whif fodder.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

perttime

Quote from: MikoLee on May 22, 2024, 01:25:12 PM
Quote from: perttime on May 22, 2024, 12:11:00 PMThe real F-22 has a side stick, right?
Quote from: Wardukw on May 22, 2024, 12:18:53 PM
Quote from: perttime on May 22, 2024, 12:11:00 PMThe real F-22 has a side stick, right?
Yep mate...F-16 style ..the only thing between the pilots legs is the release handle for the ejection seat and a couple  of displays on the instrument panel .
Yep, it is HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick)
HOTAS can be either side or center stick.

MikoLee

Quote from: perttime on May 23, 2024, 01:33:52 AM]HOTAS can be either side or center stick.

Interesting! I've only ever know it to mean throttle quadrant on the left hand and a small fly-by-wire joystick on the right with all the buttons and switches to hand for operational purposes

I just read that one of the first HOTAS aircraft was the English Electric Lightning! another reason to admire that British classic!

But the F-22 dosen't have a center control coloumn right? which was the point I was making in reference to the kit

perttime

All the F-22 cockpit photos that I can find show a side stick.
Quite a few of the HOTAS switches and dials are on the throttle lever too.

McColm

I'm glad that I was helpful, that's why I kitbash when I get stuck.

MikoLee

Quote from: McColm on May 23, 2024, 04:41:29 AMI'm glad that I was helpful, that's why I kitbash when I get stuck.

I like your style, gotta respect a kitbasher!

Miko

NARSES2

Quote from: MikoLee on May 22, 2024, 11:58:49 PMPrecisely, the raison d'ĂȘtre of my modelling hobby, skills learned here can be applied in many of life's little conundrums

Miko (perfection is unobtainable)

I agree with you there sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MikoLee

F-22 what if scenario 1

With the ongoing agreement between US Department of Defense and the UK Government's MoD to share intelligence and advanced technologies, Dstl (defence science and technology laboratory) at Porton Down invited Lockheed Martin's Advanced Projects Division to collaborate in the development of their 'radar absorbent materials' research, after negotiations an XF-22 was shipped to Boscombe Down UK for trails,
The applied coating utilises the properties of ionised Titanium Dioxide over a Niobuim base, the electromagnetic energy is deflected having it's wavelength altered beyond the sensitivity of S,Ku and X band radar receivers thus obfuscating a radar cross section more efficiently than conventional 'iron ball' paint.

This Misterkit F-22 isn't for the connoisseur of accuracy and detail it's quite crude confusing to construct, perhaps typical of short run kits of it's era, however if you feel the need to develop your modelling skills and need a challenge this one might be for you, at less than twenty pounds delivered it's a great candidate for 'what if' where your imagination can soar!

Miko (this one will now be striped back to prepare for scenario 2, spoiler alert, this will involve JASDF)

perttime

I was pretty sure JASDF was going to be involved, before I first opened this thread....  ;D

MikoLee

Quote from: perttime on May 25, 2024, 03:38:13 AMI was pretty sure JASDF was going to be involved, before I first opened this thread....  ;D

Oh it will be, it's already in JASDF air defence grey!

Miko

McColm

We've been testing our own F-22 lookalike for ages against all types of radar,it was stuck upside down on a pole in the middle of a hanger .Sometimes we'd wheel it out for uncle Sam and uncle Ivan to take some pictures of it, then hide it again.
Known BAe Systems Replica in some circles.

MikoLee

Quote from: McColm on May 25, 2024, 05:38:57 AMKnown BAe Systems Replica in some circles.

I'd forgotten about Replica and Taranis, I remember seeing fuzzy photos of Replica being transported upside down at BAE systems Warton!

If I had remembered this threat would have been called BAe 'Replica P1'

Miko

Gondor

HOTAS is

Hands
On
Throttle
And
Stick

Nothing is said about the stick being a center or side stick. Lots of buttons on both the Throttle and the Stick so the pilot doesn't have to move his hands while in combat.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

That's different... and looks good! :thumbsup:
That kit may not be accurate as an F-22 but i can imagine that being a nice base for a BAE systems Tempest... ;)
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kitbasher

Quote from: MikoLee on May 26, 2024, 03:56:16 PM
Quote from: McColm on May 25, 2024, 05:38:57 AMKnown BAe Systems Replica in some circles.

I'd forgotten about Replica and Taranis, I remember seeing fuzzy photos of Replica being transported upside down at BAE systems Warton!

If I had remembered this threat would have been called BAe 'Replica P1'

Miko

IIRC the Replica was always positioned upside down, something to do with radar reflectivity assessments.

'That's different... and looks good! :thumbsup:
That kit may not be accurate as an F-22 but i can imagine that being a nice base for a BAE systems Tempest.'

Was thinking the same.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter