Movie stand-in aircraft ideas?

Started by Spey_Phantom, June 04, 2024, 09:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on June 17, 2024, 01:31:14 AMIron Eagle 27: The Real Story Of The Falklands War.
In which Argentina turns out to be backed by the Soviets, who intervene directly when they start losing, causing the USN to step in to save English butt (again), after which the whole business of US/USSR involvement is covered up to prevent the Cold War escalating... :rolleyes:

Basically, the producers discover that it's possible to hire HMS Invincible for a limited period after her retirement, together with some surplus Spanish Navy AV-8As. The preposterous story line is concocted so that they can get as much generic footage as possible to use in future productions. All the Argentinians and Russians are played by British actors and all the Brits and Americans by US actors. Sharkey Ward is hired as a consulatant, but walks off the production 48 hours later, demanding that his name be taken off the credits. "Shooter Wade" is subsequently played by Eddie Murphy.

Invincible is 'dressed up' four different ways:
1. as herself,
2. as the 25 de Mayo*,
3. as the Soviet carrier "Leon Trotsky",
4. as the US carrier "Ambrose Burnside".

The poor AV-8As get repainted as follows:
1. Sea Harriers (blue and white with big Union Jacks on the fin and "ENGLISH NAVY" written on the sides)
2. RAF Harriers (green/brown cammo with Union Jacks)
3. Yak-38 Forgers (black, with huge red stars)
4. Unspecified USN fighters (white with black 'radar' nose cones, oversize stars'n'bars)

Argentine aircraft are played by privately-owned Gnats & Ajeets ("Skyhawks"), a single Draken** ("Mirage/Dagger"), a single F-100 ("Super Etendard"), L-39s ("Aermacchis") and a Piper Navaho ("Pucara"). All the Argentine aircraft have "ARGENTINE AIR FORCE" or "ARGENTINE NAVY" written on the sides in English.

British helicopters are played by Hueys and Jet Rangers.

*"Flying" scenes with Gnats and the "25 de Mayo" are done by carrying the aircraft around on deck, flying them close to the carrier (from land), and clever editing.
** There's a privately-owned Draken in the US IRL. It's appeared in several movies and TV shows.

What about Black Buck?  There is nothing even vaguely Vulcan that even the worst aviation illiterate would consider.  Do you just recast and have the mission carried out by B52s (leased 707's in olive drab).   :unsure:

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on June 17, 2024, 03:21:02 AMWhat about Black Buck?  There is nothing even vaguely Vulcan that even the worst aviation illiterate would consider.  Do you just recast and have the mission carried out by B52s (leased 707's in olive drab).   :unsure:

They've got a Piper Navaho playing a Pucara: I think you underestimate their ingenuity, while simultanously overestimating their scrupulousness.

Leased VC-10 playing a Victor? ("Hell Manny, they all begin with a "V", what kinda shmuck knows tha difference anyway?")
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

How about hauling a B-58 out of a museum somewhere?

'Hey, you've seen one delta bomber, you've seen 'em all!'

Or a Mirage IV even?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Black Buck, as told, never existed, it was just a code & cover story for early, covert US involvement. ;)

I wonder how many conspiracy theorists would take that idea & run with it? :unsure:  :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 17, 2024, 06:22:34 AMBlack Buck, as told, never existed, it was just a code & cover story for early, covert US involvement. ;)

I wonder how many conspiracy theorists would take that idea & run with it? :unsure:  :rolleyes:

"Tell 'em it was a Vulcan with air-to-air refuelling. Lots of air-to-air refuelling."

"Don't be stupid, nobody will believe the Brits could pull off something like that!"

The conspiracy theorists will be looking at it in the same vein of them looking at the Moon landing and 1960s computers and going, "no waaaay....."
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on June 17, 2024, 11:38:40 AM"Tell 'em it was a Vulcan with air-to-air refuelling. Lots of air-to-air refuelling."

"Don't be stupid, nobody will believe the Brits could pull off something like that!"

Ah but that was just a very succesful cover story floated by the RAF to cover the first operational use of their brand new, and highly secret long range bomber. So secret know one knows about it even today. Oh hang on a minute just heard someone at the front door............................................. ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 17, 2024, 05:33:03 AMHow about hauling a B-58 out of a museum somewhere?

'Hey, you've seen one delta bomber, you've seen 'em all!'

Or a Mirage IV even?
SAC couldn't afford to keep the B-58 flying, so I think that would be a budget
buster for a film. 
;D

jcf

For the Black Buck Vulcans just use footage from RAF training films of Vulcans taking
off, preferably with Blue Steel, inflight night shots lifted from Thunderball and dodgy model FX ala "Concorde - Airport '79".
;D

A Tubby Asparagus Production. 

McColm

jcf

scooter

Quote from: jcf on June 18, 2024, 10:30:48 AMFor the Black Buck Vulcans just use footage from RAF training films of Vulcans taking
off, preferably with Blue Steel, inflight night shots lifted from Thunderball and dodgy model FX ala "Concorde - Airport '79".
;D

Isn't there a Vulcan cockpit floating around?  Use that for the in-cockpit shots, with just as dodgy exterior VFX
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on June 18, 2024, 12:38:14 PMIsn't there a Vulcan cockpit floating around?  Use that for the in-cockpit shots, with just as dodgy exterior VFX

Quite a few of them, I 'flew' a sim flight in one last year, and DAMN cramped it  was too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: scooter on June 18, 2024, 12:38:14 PM
Quote from: jcf on June 18, 2024, 10:30:48 AMFor the Black Buck Vulcans just use footage from RAF training films of Vulcans taking
 ;D

Isn't there a Vulcan cockpit floating around?  Use that for the in-cockpit shots, with just as dodgy exterior VFX
The "inflight night shots" I'm referring to are the exterior shots, not the cockpit shots.
;)

Mossie

Quote from: zenrat on June 17, 2024, 03:21:02 AMWhat about Black Buck?  There is nothing even vaguely Vulcan that even the worst aviation illiterate would consider.  Do you just recast and have the mission carried out by B52s (leased 707's in olive drab).  :unsure:

Stock or model shots of Concorde, taken from a distance.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

I wanted to do a TSR2 in aluminium with Russian stars and a Bort number as the latest Soviet bomber stolen by someone from Spectre in a fictional Bond film (by which I mean not one of the official Fleming books), obviously a late 60s/early 70s one but with George Lazenby in the role.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic