MiG-25 Foxbat, Have Gate tactical exploitation *finished*

Started by sandiego89, June 08, 2024, 07:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Contrary to reports of the time, defecting Lieutenant Belenko's MiG-25 Foxbat was not crated up and returned to the Soviet Union right away, but it was crated up and shipped to Area 51 under the Have Gate tactical exploitation program.   

1/72 Hasegawa/Minicraft by sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Pellson

Love the old Hasegawa kit. I have a few as well, one going post-unification Luftwaffe. Looking much forward to see this!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Cooer, I've never seen that box art before! Most impressive.

Mine was the 'standard' pop, mid 80s I think. I even built it RW too.  :o

Looking forward to yours Dave.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Chaos

sandiego89

The kit goes together well and quickly, low parts count.

Good, crisp detail

Gr1 Harrier for scale

Nice tabs to keep the top and bottom fuselage slabs from falling in

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 08, 2024, 08:37:08 AMCooer, I've never seen that box art before! Most impressive.

Yes great box art of the canvas over the fuselage and recovery from the over-run at Hokkaido, soon after the defection. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

NARSES2

I've never seen that box art either.

I can rememmber building this back in the day and being surprised by how big it was. Fascinating aircraft.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Excellent box art and different to the one I have.

MiG-25 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

This shows just how big those engines are.

ISTR a lot of PSR on this kit.  I also remember just how shallow the kit nozzles are.  I used a pair of caps from big fat marker pens to add depth.

MiG-25 WIP 15-08-2020 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
MiG-25 WIP 15-08-2020 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
MiG 25 HAPPY - 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

HTH
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 09, 2024, 01:37:44 AMI've never seen that box art either.

Scalemates shows it as a 1978 reboxing with the side numbers decals as flown by defecting LT Belenko. 

The back of the box is great too with a cutaway drawing.   

it is a big aricraft

primer on, looks great in black

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Big it surely is, easily the size of a Wellington.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

It's big enough to park a Spitfire on.

MiG 25 HAPPY - 25 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I have in the stash a Condor MiG 25 (with vac form canopies and resin 'pit and nose) and a Trumpeter MiG 31 (with BFO missile).  Both of which have much more detail than the Hasegawa kit but i'm not sure if they will be proportionately more fun to build.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

I've got the Revell Mig-31 too, but somehow it doesn't look as 'pure MiG' as the -25 does. Weird..........

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 09, 2024, 08:28:21 AMI've got the Revell Mig-31 too, but somehow it doesn't look as 'pure MiG' as the -25 does. Weird..........

I agree, the 25 looks so raw and brutish and has more of the 23 lineage. The 31 a little too refined, or at least a refined brute.   
Dave "Sandiego89"

Wardukw

I've got a 48th Mig25 in the stash and must check its size out ..compare it to a F15 or something like that cause I don't remember this one I've got looking that damn big .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

If I get time tomorrow i'll dig out a built F-15 and sit it next to a built MiG 25 for you.  They are both big boned girls.
Fred