Main Menu

F-106X Resurection

Started by Mossie, June 08, 2024, 01:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I guess to be resurected something has to be alive in the first place? I entered this for the re-engine it GB last year.  However, I barely did any work on it, cutting a bit of the tailpipe away and a bit of sanding
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=51830.0

This is the project:

Quote from: Mossie on July 08, 2023, 12:49:25 PMThis one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/52573693800/

You cannot view this attachment.

The F-106X often gets mentioned as a 50's Mach 5 project but this one dates from '71 and is powered by a Pratt & Whitney F401.  I believe Convair used the designation several times, so the pictures get mixed up with the older project.

And this is as far as I got:

Quote from: Mossie on July 11, 2023, 02:49:53 PMMade a start.  Reamed out the supporting brackets to accept the new tailpipe by wrapping wet n dry around the resin part and sanding each side until it fit.  Then I cut a bit off the end to accept the new fairing (which is going to more blending than I thought).

Tailpipe part in place.  It'll need a fair bit more work before it's ready.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Now until today I'd discounted this project, I thought I was biting off more than I could chew (still might be).  I'd shortlisted two; a simple markings change build, and a modification of a 50's RAF aircraft to create a slightly different variant.  The latter was the winner earlier today, however Gondor is doing similar with his Swift PR.6.

No harm in that (it's a different aircraft) but in the name of diversity I thought I'd bring this one back from stillbirth. And in the name of overstretching myself I couldn't bring myself to do a markings change.  I'm between jobs at the moment, so I've got some time off so it might be possible,if I can kick start the mojo.

I've been busier than expected today and nearly lost a whole day, so time to crack on.  :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Gondor

Quote from: Mossie on June 08, 2024, 01:22:48 PMNow until today I'd discounted this project, I thought I was biting off more than I could chew (still might be).  I'd shortlisted two; a simple markings change build, and a modification of a 50's RAF aircraft to create a slightly different variant.  The latter was the winner earlier today, however Gondor is doing similar with his Swift PR.6.

No harm in that (it's a different aircraft) but in the name of diversity I thought I'd bring this one back from stillbirth. And in the name of overstretching myself I couldn't bring myself to do a markings change.  I'm between jobs at the moment, so I've got some time off so it might be possible,if I can kick start the mojo.

I've been busier than expected today and nearly lost a whole day, so time to crack on.  :thumbsup:

Mine does actually involve some modification. It's not OOB.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

That's what I meant, it's similar to the plan I had. :thumbsup:

Mine was a mod to a Meteor, to add a NF wing to a F.8 fuselage creating an eight gun FB variant.  It's covered in the second edition of BSP 1. Subtle but a fair amount of work as the Special Hobby F.8 and Night Fighter kits are different, despite having the same parts breakdown and a gap opens up when swapping wings.

Mossie

Not a lot done tonight, some paint on the cockpit parts and a bit of sanding to the wing to improve the fit.

kerick

Good luck on this! I'll be watching to see how far the modifications go.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

Quote from: kerick on June 08, 2024, 04:24:44 PMGood luck on this! I'll be watching to see how far the modifications go.

Thanks! I think I'll need it to get finished by the deadline, although like Chris, I'm using it to kick the mojo into submission.

The main thing I'm not sure about how to go about is extending the intake trunking which might be a sticking point.and probably the biggest job I have to do.  That and I've misplaced my plasticard stack but given the state of my garage it's not a surprise. :banghead:

Wardukw

I'm liking this ...a supersonic fast mover and a pretty sweet looker too .
Extending the after burner might be easy if ya have a F16 or 15 with a closed tube ...or ones which are open  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Mossie

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Wardukw on June 09, 2024, 10:27:28 AMI'm liking this ...a supersonic fast mover and a pretty sweet looker too .
Extending the after burner might be easy if ya have a F16 or 15 with a closed tube ...or ones which are open  ;D

I've got a resin F-16 closed burner can, almost a mini kit in itself.  I do have an Italeri F-16 exhaust, it'd be quicker and simpler.  Trouble is I've offered it up to so many kits as potential whiffs, I've forgotten which box I put it in!  :banghead:

Mossie

I've got the cockpit together, which was supringly fiddly to put together. I've got an ACES II bang seat in there to suggest an advanced pit, otherwise there's no other detail. I inherited the kit from a friend, unfortunately he used the instrument decals so there isn't even that.

I misplaced my super glue so used Milliput to cement in some solder nose weight and the seat. Of course, the elves were having a good giggle, the moment I finished with the putty, I spied the super glue!

In between items drying, I've cut and sanded the canards from a pair of Tornado horizontal tails:

Various snags external to the build have put me behind where I want to be, including an I'll daughter sent home from school this afternoon. I'm going to have to catch up tomorrow if I'm to have any hope of finishing on time.

Mossie

In a mad dash to try and catch up I stayed up late to get the main components together. Risking getting on for being worn out tomorrow and making a hash of it.

Now the major bits are glued, I'm half wishing I splashed for a shiny expensive but well fitting kit.  Plenty of gaps and minor mismatches to resolve.

The Rat

Just realised that we're both 'Viggenizing' kits for this GB.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

Quote from: Mossie on June 10, 2024, 03:34:27 PMThanks guys!

Quote from: Wardukw on June 09, 2024, 10:27:28 AMI'm liking this ...a supersonic fast mover and a pretty sweet looker too .

I've got a resin F-16 closed burner can, almost a mini kit in itself.  I do have an Italeri F-16 exhaust, it'd be quicker and simpler.  Trouble is I've offered it up to so many kits as potential whiffs, I've forgotten which box I put it in!  :banghead:
😄😄😄😄
Yep lost parts exactly like that in the past ..fact last week ...fecking annoying matey 😁
If and when ya find em I'd go with the Italeri one..then ya won't be to worried about cutting it up if need be .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Mossie

Quote from: The Rat on June 10, 2024, 07:35:11 PMJust realised that we're both 'Viggenizing' kits for this GB.  ;D

I didn't think of it like that, yes.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Wardukw on June 10, 2024, 10:10:22 PM😄😄😄😄
Yep lost parts exactly like that in the past ..fact last week ...fecking annoying matey 😁
If and when ya find em I'd go with the Italeri one..then ya won't be to worried about cutting it up if need be .

I did find it recently, then lost it again.  :rolleyes: It might actually be with the F-16 kit now (no guarantee), however, that kit is buried in a box somewhere.  I'm going to have to go hunting anyway as I've also misplaced the plastic card I need.  Shouldn't be hard to find several A4 sheets but the state of my garage! :o That's next week's project after this GB.

The F-16 P&W F100 engine is a tad too small so I'm going to have to trim the rear somewhat.  The engine that was specified was a P&W F401 that was cancelled. It was meant for the Tomcat, so a bit larger diameter.