Main Menu

1/600 USS East Jersey

Started by Joe C-P, June 10, 2024, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

It's an inaccurate resin and white metal sail-and-steamship.  It was listed as USS Newark C-1, the closest it resembles is USS Philadelphia C-4.

Still planning the details of the build, will start on it tonight.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Joe C-P

The unassembled, instruction-less model and the basic plans of USS Philadelphia, C-4.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

kerick

When I first read the title I thought maybe a take on a run down USS New Jersey! Carry on!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing more !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Joe C-P

It's very nearly done, just sorting out hanging two boats from davits, which will be done tonight before the deadline.

Joe C-P

USS East Jersey, return of the bomb ketch

Third of three experimental sail-steam cruisers built in the 1890s, East Jersey was modified from the design of her semi-sisters West Jersey and Philadelphia

Her armament was a test of using mortars in combat at sea, both for shelling enemy positions and to defeat horizontal armor protection with plunging fire.  Two 6" guns, the overtop platform, and the after mast were left off in favor of a reinforced main deck supporting four 12" naval mortars. 

Experiments seemed to proceed smoothly, shells striking target rafts with some regularity.  However, out at sea the ship's motions made targeting much more difficult, though loading with multiple shots Improved chances, while reducing damage potential.

Further testing against land targets found East Jersey served well as a new version of a bomb ketch, providing high angle shelling of targets.

She would serve combat off Cuba, attacking Spanish positions with both guns and mortars before American troops landed, establishing the value of a pre-invasion bombardment.  Soon after the successful conclusion of the war she would be retired as surplus, serving time in a backwater port as a receiving ship until sold for scrap in 1912.

sandiego89

Quote from: kerick on June 14, 2024, 10:32:18 AMWhen I first read the title I thought maybe a take on a run down USS New Jersey! Carry on!

Me too!  Parked in a bad Jersey neighborhood and someone stole a 16" gun tube, a screw and the anchor.....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Nice one! :thumbsup:

I know relatively little about pre-WWI combat ships, but there were certainly some odd hybrids and concepts around, weren't there? Typical when a new technology's introduced.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.