Cogs and Sprockets

Started by buzzbomb, June 18, 2024, 01:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2024, 04:46:23 AMI used to get all sorts of funky things like skulls and wings from the charm-bracelet bowls in the jewellery craft shop in Affleck's Palace in Manchester. Sadly, it didn't make it through COVID and it's a Japanese-style bubble tea shop now. Not got the slightest interest in bubble tea, although the waitresses are worth more than a glance or two... ;)
Bubble-tea originated in Taiwan.
😉

Weaver

Quote from: jcf on June 20, 2024, 09:21:05 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2024, 04:46:23 AMI used to get all sorts of funky things like skulls and wings from the charm-bracelet bowls in the jewellery craft shop in Affleck's Palace in Manchester. Sadly, it didn't make it through COVID and it's a Japanese-style bubble tea shop now. Not got the slightest interest in bubble tea, although the waitresses are worth more than a glance or two... ;)
Bubble-tea originated in Taiwan.
😉

Indeed it did, but the "maid cafe" style of shop they're selling it in is distinctly Japanese.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 20, 2024, 05:44:27 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2024, 04:58:39 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 20, 2024, 04:51:05 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2024, 04:43:34 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 19, 2024, 05:32:56 AMSome shops get funny if one person cleans out all of their stock of one item.  But as my boss says "you can only sell it once".

The other thing is that if you know you have regular customers who buy the item in question, then if one person clears you out, those regulars are going to be dissatisfied until more stock comes in.

They're on order,  we'll ring you when they come in.  But have you considered buying in bulk so this doesn't happen again?  You'll also get a bulk discount...

"But I walked all the way down here with my bad hip and all, and I only want one envelope but I want it now to send my nephew his birthday present in time! I don't want twenty next Wednesday! Think I'll try the other shop, mumble, mutter, grumble...."

Try what other shop? AusPost offices are not that close together & she won't get a single envelope from a newsagent, she'll have to buy a pack of 10 or 20 (+/-), & she'll still have to pay AusPost for the postage. :rolleyes:

Really? How very uncivilized. Many newsagents here will sell you a single padded envelope.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2024, 09:38:58 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 20, 2024, 05:44:27 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2024, 04:58:39 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 20, 2024, 04:51:05 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2024, 04:43:34 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 19, 2024, 05:32:56 AMSome shops get funny if one person cleans out all of their stock of one item.  But as my boss says "you can only sell it once".

The other thing is that if you know you have regular customers who buy the item in question, then if one person clears you out, those regulars are going to be dissatisfied until more stock comes in.

They're on order,  we'll ring you when they come in.  But have you considered buying in bulk so this doesn't happen again?  You'll also get a bulk discount...

"But I walked all the way down here with my bad hip and all, and I only want one envelope but I want it now to send my nephew his birthday present in time! I don't want twenty next Wednesday! Think I'll try the other shop, mumble, mutter, grumble...."

Try what other shop? AusPost offices are not that close together & she won't get a single envelope from a newsagent, she'll have to buy a pack of 10 or 20 (+/-), & she'll still have to pay AusPost for the postage. :rolleyes:

Really? How very uncivilized. Many newsagents here will sell you a single padded envelope.

That's the Numbers Game speaking... you think Oz has it bad like that? Try living here, where because of various factors (lack of population being the main one) we get what we get and are expected to be thankful for it.
"Things could always be made worse, you know..."
Grumpy Friday Mode - had you guessed? ;)

zenrat

Actually, the newsagent directly across the road from where I work in WILL sell you a single envelope (and one of a fairly reasonable range of modelling magazines).  They will also do it cheerfully, with a smile, and you will leave happier than when you went in.
Unlike the other newsagent in town which is run by someone who every piece of feedback left online says how angry he was.  You don't leave there smiling.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 21, 2024, 05:05:46 AMUnlike the other newsagent in town which is run by someone who every piece of feedback left online says how angry he was.  You don't leave there smiling.

Ah but back in the day the local corner shop's "Grumpy old codger's" curmudgeonlyness was often part of the deliberate "brand"  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.