Royal Navy DHC-2 Beaver

Started by The Rat, June 22, 2024, 09:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

In Ocober of 1961 trials were conducted to ascertain the suitability of the Army operating STOL ircraft from Royal Navy aircraft carriers. A DHC-2 Beaver was successfully landed on the deck of HMS Centaur during operations in Aden, and the concept was proven. It was decided that a few should be procured for the navy in order to add flexibility to operations, and some Beavers were transferred from the army. Aside from a new paint job, the only other alteration was the addition of a 3-bladed propeller, and operations were underway. It was found to be an inexpensive way of delivery and transfer of men and materials, and for the insertion and extraction of SAS and SBS personnel.

The Airfix 1/72nd offering, a bit long in the tooth but still a nice kit. The rivets seem overdone to many modelers, but after working around the real things often, I'm wondering if they might be underscale! They did cause some decal silvering problems, but too late now, the clear coat has already been applied. Paints were Tamiya XF-54 Dark Sea Grey, which in this scale is an okay replacement for Extra Dark Sea Grey, at least in my opinion. Underside was Tamiya XF-2 white. I applied many of the eye-straining stencils, but afer seeing two of them fall off and wind up as tiny specks on my bench, I decided that enough was enough. Prop came from the ancient and inaccurate Monogram PBY-5A.

If there was an after-market set to improve on it, this could be a very nice addition to one's display cabinet, rivets and all!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitbasher

Nice one 👍

Tbh I was surprised by the colour scheme - had convinced myself it was going to be either an overall blue or the green + white cheatline scheme as seen on Sea Devons, Sea Herons, Wessex and Whirlwinds.  Dunno why. 

Does look very smart in DSG + white, mind.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

Nice one Davey. Makes sense and looks right.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Glenn Gilbertson

Looks good & very believable! :thumbsup:

comrade harps

I do like Beavers and that one is spectacular :wub:
Whatever.

Charlie_c67

Really? Is no-one gonna say it?  :o  Fine, time to bury the tone  :wacko:

"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid."

The Rat

Quote from: Charlie_c67 on June 25, 2024, 11:17:27 AMReally? Is no-one gonna say it?  :o  Fine, time to bury the tone  :wacko:

;D  ;D  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

I can see The Book emerging from its hiding place already!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Everyone likes a little Beaver.

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on June 25, 2024, 07:37:34 PMEveryone likes a little Beaver.

Now, who can tell us what kit(s) they're building? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est