Main Menu

The DC88-126Z

Started by PR19_Kit, June 29, 2024, 04:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

OK, I'll kick off this thread, here's my Douglas DC88-126Z build, being an asymmetric, twin boomed Canadian airliner, so that covers remembering both Tophe and Robert with the same model.  ;)

Yes, that's TWO Minicraft 1/144 DC8-63 kits, and I'll use most of both of them.

I told you it'd be BIG, didn't I?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I should re-post this from Tophe to me just after I bought both DC8-63 kits at a bargain price at the time, which was back in Sept. 2018.

So he himself gave me the inspiration for this, his memory and inventiveness still lives!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

ericr

Wardukw

Love the idea Kit ...typically Tophe and all the better for it 😁😁
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

PR19_Kit

Construction has commenced, and those of you who've been here a year or two maybe remember my Aer Turas DC8-83 that I did in 2018. That had the extra fuselage bits from my sawn down 'Calder Eight' inserted to lengthen it, and I'm using the same technique on the -126Z. Minicraft very handily mould the cut lines into the inside of the fuselage to guide you, but neglect to mention them in the instructions.

In my case I never look a gift cut line in the mouth and I've promptly sawn both fuselages into umpteen parts.  ;D

Here's the 'before' view with the cut lines highlighted.

And here's all the assembled bits arranged as they will be eventually. The right hand fuselage, that's the shorter one, has already had strengthening bars glued in place, which is something I didn't do on the -83. Minicraft don't mould notches into the cut line moulds so I've had to file them to get the strengthening bars to fit properly, not a hard job, but necessary as this model will be a complex structure, to say the least!

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've got all the various fuselage bits joined together now, but they'll need some PSR across the SIX fuselage joints of course. Not as much as the -83 did, but the fuselage bits on that came from two very slightly different moulds.

The wings and tails are just plugged in place at the moment, but this gives you an idea of how big this thing's going to be. It's not easy to see but one wing is already longer than the other, just by using the bits in the kits. I may adjust that of course..........  ;)

Plus there's scope for LOADS of variations in the engines, the kits alone provide no less than SIXTEEN engines, and we airliner modellers collect other engines like we keep socks!

Regards
Kit

ericr

sandiego89

Oh my!  a real beastie
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Wardukw

This is ridiculous and I love it 😀 😍 😂
Actually I'm surprised the wings are so short 😳 😅

Hopefully there's going to be more than 4 engines  :wacko:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

sandiego89

First class on the right, economy to the left! 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on July 04, 2024, 11:41:23 AMThis is ridiculous and I love it 😀 😍 😂

It'd be difficult to make them much longer as the taper will reduce to nothing if I went too far, but a smidgeon of extra length should be OK. Plus of course I've yet to figure out the centre section wing length, it could be YARDS!  ;D

And of COURSE there'll be more than four engines, maybe an odd number too, and different sizes as well.

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 04, 2024, 01:41:26 PMFirst class on the right, economy to the left! 

I was actually thinking of making the starboard fuselage a fuel tank, it'd save on window decals.  ;)

Regards
Kit

kerick

When not hauling passengers it could help launch satellites!

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 04, 2024, 02:07:47 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on July 04, 2024, 11:41:23 AMThis is ridiculous and I love it 😀 😍 😂

It'd be difficult to make them much longer as the taper will reduce to nothing if I went too far, but a smidgeon of extra length should be OK. Plus of course I've yet to figure out the centre section wing length, it could be YARDS!  ;D

And of COURSE there'll be more than four engines, maybe an odd number too, and different sizes as

I was thinking  the same Kit..the wing roots would be the easiest place to lengthen the wings I'd bet but yeah that sweep is quite alot and not even I would attempt to lengthen a wing in the middle 😅

My old saying about most things engines wise ..some is good..more is better 😏 😀

kerick

Three in the middle, two on the right and three more on the left. Mix the types freely.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise