Main Menu

The DC88-126Z

Started by PR19_Kit, June 29, 2024, 04:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

And yet more problems.............

I mentioned the awful cockpit arrangements that Minicraft use on their airliners before, and BOTH of the 'canopies' keep cracking away from the fuselage top edge. I've tried re-gluing with liquid glue to no avail, and now I've resorted to supergluing the joints. It's a right pain!

But I have built all the engines I need for the model and their in the middle of their PSR stage now.

Somewhere I have a few sets of SAC white metal landing gear for DC8s, and I'll be looking those out soon. What I'm NOT looking forward to is painting the twenty wheels on this thing!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

At first I thought you said the all the engines were in the middle! Read the entire sentence I told myself!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on July 11, 2024, 09:09:31 PMAt first I thought you said the all the engines were in the middle! Read the entire sentence I told myself!

They might be now you've mentioned it.  ;D

I've built six of them so far, some may even have been intended for DC8s too.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

Ah, fluid creativity!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Actually there's not enough room to put them ALL in the centre section, they'd need to be touching each other to make that work and that'd look just silly.........

(I'm not quite sure how I wrote the last phrase without collapsing in hysterics!)  ;D

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

under wing and over wing mounts!!

sorry im getting silly as well arnt i  ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Both of those are possible, and one of them is even likely.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Robomog

Hey this is Toph inspired and Whiffworld!  Silly is perfectly acceptable here  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly harmless ...............

Wardukw

Quote from: Robomog on July 12, 2024, 03:31:59 PMHey this is Toph inspired and Whiffworld!  Silly is perfectly acceptable here  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
Could not agree more  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I've realised that the major disadvantage of building something with two fuselages is that you almost automatically DOUBLE the amount of PSR needed.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

At last the construction side of the DC9-126Z is done, and that was after UMPTEEN PSR and primer spray sessions, specially over the centre section.

Because of the tight fit of the wings in the fuselage sockets it's vital that the whole thing is sprayed while completely assembled as that keeps the paint out of the sockets etc. and it's a right pain trying to find some way to hold it and not paint my hands as well, but it's done now.

Now it needs colour painting, mostly white, grey and natural metal of course, but there's a large chunk of a rather nice blue over the rear of both fuselages, and luckily I found just the right shade in Halfords, despite their new, totally USELESS method of cataloguing their paints.  :banghead:

In anticipation of some holiday period painting and decaling, I'm off to Norfolk for 10 days or so soon, I've drawn up and printed the MONSTER decal sheets, and this is just one of them, there's FOUR altogether!  :o

That's an A4 sheet by the way, the other sheets are the same size but nowhere near as densely printed, the decals are just LARGE.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

😁😁😁
I feel sorry for ya kit..well kinda 😅
It's gonna look damn impressive when she's done tho ill bet  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Also available in white................

Well, half of it anyway. The long port fuselage seems to be suffering a bit from softening of the outside due to gluing on the inside, something I've had before when stretching airliner fuselages because you have to use styrene straps on the insides to strengthen the joints of the add-on bits. It's a pain, but it happens and just needs some MORE PSR, what a surprise!

I've managed to do some re-positioning after deep thinking on the decals and I can get them all onto only TWO sheets now, a big saving.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 16, 2024, 02:57:11 PMAt last the construction side of the DC9-126Z is done, and that was after UMPTEEN PSR and primer spray sessions, specially over the centre section.

Because of the tight fit of the wings in the fuselage sockets it's vital that the whole thing is sprayed while completely assembled as that keeps the paint out of the sockets etc. and it's a right pain trying to find some way to hold it and not paint my hands as well, but it's done now.

Now it needs colour painting, mostly white, grey and natural metal of course, but there's a large chunk of a rather nice blue over the rear of both fuselages, and luckily I found just the right shade in Halfords, despite their new, totally USELESS method of cataloguing their paints.  :banghead:

From that angle it looks as if you could have made the tailplane connect the rear of the two fuselages together with a larger single unit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I could have, yes, but it was difficult enough scratching up the wing centre section, let alone doing a very long and narrow (and thin....) tailplane as well.

Both fuselages are white now, and I'm trying to figure out how to mask them up for the blue bits, not an easy task.

Regards
Kit