Main Menu

Junkyard Dog

Started by kerick, June 29, 2024, 09:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

buzzbomb

This is really coming together.. terrific work

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I've been working on the side skirts. The front portion will be Challenger style while the rear will be a little Nagmachon style.
I bought some 3mm and 6mm Tamiya masking tape to try some digital camo. Paint colors will be Model Master from what I have in the paint drawer. Pray for me......
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

The die is cast!
Your song is sung!
There's no hope now!
Your cogs are sprung!

:wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 10, 2024, 09:18:53 AMThe die is cast!
Your song is sung!
There's no hope now!
Your cogs are sprung!

:wacko:
;D  ;D  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on July 10, 2024, 12:27:55 PMMy cogs are fine!!

So, you've given up on the digi-cam, then!? ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 11, 2024, 02:29:04 AM
Quote from: kerick on July 10, 2024, 12:27:55 PMMy cogs are fine!!

So, you've given up on the digi-cam, then!? ;)

I'm going to try it. There was an article about a British experimental pattern that looked pretty good. Only thing is it looks like about five colors so it might get simplified.

https://defence.nridigital.com/global_defence_technology_mar21/challenger_tank_digital_camouflage
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I'm going to try masking off each digital pattern separately to keep from adding five layers of paint by the time I'm done. There is some nice detail in many areas and I really don't want to bury it under layers of paint. I'm also going to try some preshading with very dark green or black. This should be something new for me.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Couple of ideas which might help ya with ya digi cam Ken .....ive a habit of taking several different sizes of tape ..just sticking em to a old cutting mat
.measuring what ever length I need along the entire length of tape and cutting them on each mark..then it's just peal and stick..speeds things up very nicely and it works great for annoying shapes..then I fill in any areas with more tape.
Oh this is all done with Tamiya tapes.
Sounds like a time consuming task and in away it is but it's many times faster than making individual masks which might fit or not ..ask me how I know  :banghead:

For painting and so you don't have to remove your masking until your done ...just spray what ever colour your gonna use where your first mask will be .
Throw on the masks and repeat..different colour and mask away ...then you get all the colours you want with out a massive use if paint .
I let this completely dry for a  day or two and  then out comes the fine tweezers and a knife with a new blade.
This the part I enjoy the most  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

I attached the side skirts last night with some putty I found at the hobby shop. They look pretty good. I managed to cast enough acceptable quality ERA panels.  I'll post the pics tonight. Babysitting the granddaughter today.

I don't know what the problem was with the casting process. I kept getting casts that did not harden evenly no matter if I put them in the sunlight or used the UV flashlight. The finished product had a slightly rippled and uneven surface on the face of the part. The next cast would come out fine. Another chemistry mystery. I need to mold the smoke grenade discharge boxes and cast hopefully four of them.
Tophe the Wise

Jakko

Heh, another reason for me to stay away from casting my own parts, it looks like :)
... I know all this and more ...

kerick

Here's the (late) pics I promised.

This is the braces for the side skirts.

Here's the full skirt combo.

Tophe the Wise