Main Menu

Junkyard Dog

Started by kerick, June 29, 2024, 09:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on August 14, 2024, 06:17:52 AMNo problem.
The UV resin I use is from a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Micheal's in my area. It comes in a 4 oz bottle. There are little clear silicone molds for making jewelry and such. I believe it was about $12 or so.
Ken things are far different here in NZ then  it is over there in the US ..we can't even get good sized sheets of XPS foam without a massive hunt..mostly  only rubbish polystyrene sheets ..things you guys can get from a hardware store there like UV glues is like alien technology here .
Ya know we've never had Klear floor polish or lead foil you can buy in rolls..so many things in fact it's scary.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

To be fair, we did have Klear at one stage but it went away when they changed the formulation... not seen it since, ooh, the early 2010s or so.
Phill, Pascoes Long Life Shine is what I use, and it seems to do the job.
Lead foil no, but there is aluminum to be had in heavier gauges than the cooking rolls - have a look out for the seals in the catering tins of Coffee or Milo.

And after a quick search, Spotlight have Ribtex Clear 25 g UV Resin for $21.
So I might have to use part of this day off I have to check it out...

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 14, 2024, 01:45:27 PMTo be fair, we did have Klear at one stage but it went away when they changed the formulation... not seen it since, ooh, the early 2010s or so.
Phill, Pascoes Long Life Shine is what I use, and it seems to do the job.
Lead foil no, but there is aluminum to be had in heavier gauges than the cooking rolls - have a look out for the seals in the catering tins of Coffee or Milo.

And after a quick search, Spotlight have Ribtex Clear 25 g UV Resin for $21.
So I might have to use part of this day off I have to check it out...
Rick since ya saw Klear then we had it but I never have which I'd fine by me now since I can't miss what I've never seen  ;D .

I don't know if you've had this but the heavy guage tin doesn't like super glue..it won't stick and I've tried it with the lowest to highest quality glues you can get ..even sanding it the glues will only very gently hold it ..I do prefer copper or brass for this if I'm having to use metal but here's a foil with works great with super glues..the foil from the necks of wine bottles..it's soft and easy to work with and I can get a good supply here now 😉
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

$21 for a bottle of UV resin seems pretty steep! Is that in Australian or NZ currency?

As model builders sometimes we really have to scrounge around for materials!
I haven't torn apart a computer or printer in a while but there's some interesting stuff in there. Some really hard steel rods for all those little nylon gears.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kerick on August 14, 2024, 07:01:26 PM$21 for a bottle of UV resin seems pretty steep! Is that in Australian or NZ currency?

That's Pacific Pesos - or Kiwi Bucks as they are usually called...  ;)
That's actually at one of the cheaper stores, but you have to remember we are at the end of the supply chain here, so things just cost more.
You do get used to it, though liking it is another thing altogether...  :-\

Phill, as far as the foil goes I can't say I've used a lot of it, but from what I recall I didn't have any problems.
That may change if I start using more, but we shall see.

Jakko

Quote from: Wardukw on August 14, 2024, 11:21:06 AMthings are far different here in NZ (...) things you guys can get from a hardware store there like UV glues is like alien technology here .
To be fair, so is high technology like central heating, last I heard ;)
... I know all this and more ...

Wardukw

Quote from: Jakko on August 15, 2024, 02:02:39 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 14, 2024, 11:21:06 AMthings are far different here in NZ (...) things you guys can get from a hardware store there like UV glues is like alien technology here .
It's not cold enough here to need it but it's getting much hotter here than before and as for air con..my mate Aaron has work as a air con tech for over 25yrs ...here ..so no it's not new by any means .

zenrat

Quote from: Jakko on August 15, 2024, 02:02:39 AM

No need for that.  They just snuggle up to a sheep.   ;D

Wine bottle foil is a rare commodity now they are all going to screw tops.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 14, 2024, 01:45:27 PMTo be fair, we did have Klear at one stage but it went away when they changed the formulation... not seen it since, ooh, the early 2010s or so.

You can blame the EU and their thoughtless rulings for that. The stuff was changed so be just fine for floors, but nowhere near as good as it was for models originally.

And I'd bet there was zero evidence for any harm that the earlier formula produced!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 15, 2024, 04:24:00 AM

You can blame the EU and their thoughtless rulings for that. The stuff was changed so be just fine for floors, but nowhere near as good as it was for models originally.

And I'd bet there was zero evidence for any harm that the earlier formula produced!

Likely there was some Euro manufacturer that wanted the formulation changed so they could sell their own product and cut J&J out.
A bit cynical and jaded for this stage of the week, but I'm Stale, Male and Pale as they say, so WYSIWYG.

And I've just bought 2X 50g bottles of UV resin for $44, so that's nice. It pays to shop around.
Let the experimenting begin! (when I receive the stuff and have time, of course...)  ;)

kerick

Still no paint on the dog! Probably not today either. I spent way too much time on bathroom plumbing yesterday. Too much time shopping for parts as nobody had the valve I wanted. I ended up with something more expensive but I got that to work. So the sink faucet has been dripping for a while now and the replacement has been sitting in the basement for much too long now. How much more trouble could that be? Turns out the stubs on the new faucet are like an inch shorter than the old one. Back to the hardware store for new supply lines! Much swearing at this point. So I finally get everything hooked up and it's 7 pm by now. I put tools away and ate dinner and quit for the day. My back and hip were killing me by this time. At least nothing was leaking anymore. I double checked this morning and still dry. So that job is done for a few years I hope.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Well, at least the end result is what you were after.  :thumbsup:
But yeah, those sort of cascading-problem jobs are a real pain.

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 15, 2024, 06:02:30 PMWell, at least the end result is what you were after.  :thumbsup:

Indeed  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Worst part was the contortions getting to the valves to work on them. My back and hip are a real pain in my a$$ for a couple of days after stuff like that. Literally.
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on August 16, 2024, 07:54:44 PMWorst part was the contortions getting to the valves to work on them. My back and hip are a real pain in my a$$ for a couple of days after stuff like that. Literally.

I can get down reasonably easily, it's the getting up again that's the problem  :angel:  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.