Mirage 2000

Started by nev, March 29, 2005, 12:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

OK, what would a Mirage 2000/4000 have been called in RAF service?

Cos a Mirage 2000 F.1 sounds dumb.

As does Mirage 4000 FS.2

It just doesn't roll off the tongue does it?

Would we lose the 2000 and call it a Mirage T.2?  Or a Mirage T.2000? (can't see the Top Brass going for that one!)

Or re-name it after a classic WW2 plane?  Mosquito?  Hurricane?  Tempest?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Geoff_B

Hi Nev

Well the Indians call theirs Vajra (Divine Thunder). So how about Thunder F1 and Thunder T2, the C & D would then become Thunder FGR-3 and Thunder T-4 or FGR-4 depending on Trainers or Strike role. Armed with Alarm then they could be Wild Thunder EFG-3.

Cheers

Geoff B)  

P1127

Depends on the name they gave the Mirage III  ^_^ !!

Assuming it would have been Mirage F1 (How confusing would that be?) and Mirage T2, upgraded to F3 and T4, then the M2K would have been maybe the F5, or FG5, or even FB5 (RAF don't do S for Strike - that's a Navy designation foisted upon them) trainer T6

etc
It's not an effing  jump jet.

Mike Wren

Mirage FGR.1 for the 2000, Mirage F.2 for the 4000. easy  ;)  

upnorth

Considering the actual historical relations between England and France, you can bet a fully French aircraft in British service would get nothing flattering for a name. :lol:

Probably "That French Thing Over There" would be the best it would get.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

nev

Agincourt F.1?

Crecy FS.2?

:lol:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

Longbow FGR.V  :D  :D  :D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Davey B

Wellington FG.1?  :P  Dunkirk FG.1?  :o

If I ever get a pair of M4K's, they'll be Mirage FR.1 for the RAF, and Mirage FR.2 for the Navy, with T.3 for a joint-service trainer.

Alvis 3.1

Waterloo F.1?
of course, the erks would likely just call it "frog"....

Alvis 3.1

Gary

You need to think of storms for the names of Brit planes.

Hmmmm, Mirage 2000....

Got it!  

Light Drizzel Mk1

Heavy Fog GR1

Sleet

Blizzard...  too aggressive

Raining cats and dogs

Breeze

Sunny Day but a chance of clouding over later in the day
Getting back into modeling

dragon

Illusion F1? (although it sounds vaguely Russian). :unsure:

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

upnorth

Pea Souper MK.1

There's a threatening sounding weather pattern :lol:  
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Gary

Sundown

as in Sundown on the British aircraft industry!
Getting back into modeling

nev

No, no, no, we've joined the program in the early 80 after cancelling the Tornado ADV as unsuitable for the interceptor role.  A hi-lo mix of 4000s and 2000s.  Mirage 2000s to replace the Lightnings (priority), then 4000s to replace UK based Phantoms, then some more 2000s to replace the Phantoms in Germany.

A collaboration along the lines of the Jaguar and Concorde.  Of course France being France, they would demand to be the project leader and get all the prestige etc, but they have British engines, avionics and weapons, and they're British built  :tornado:

Saudia Arabia and Canada also order the Mirage 4000 instead of the F-15 and F-18  B)

As for the name, I'm trying to think of a famous Anglo-French victory in battle, but I can't think of one!  We haven't been allies very often!  :lol:  Chris?

NARSES2

QuoteA collaboration along the lines of the Jaguar and Concorde.  

As for the name, I'm trying to think of a famous Anglo-French victory in battle, but I can't think of one!  We haven't been allies very often!  :lol:  Chris?
Which is what the  French were expecting to happen when Amery signed the Concorde Treaty, and IMHO should of happened.

As for a Joint victory ?

Jeruselem, Jaffa, Acre - from Crusades I/III - Crusader of course 'cept the Yanks pinched it.

Neuiport/Dunkirk - From Cromwell's time when we fought with the French against the Spanish. (Imperialists)

Alma, Sebastapol, Inkerman, Balaclava - from the Crimea

Boxer - from the Boxer uprising.

Marne I/II, Aisne,Ypres I/II,Somme - only major WWI joint battles - argue about victories, depends on your definition.

WWII - I can only think of the "box" the Foreign Legion defended at the southern most point of the Gazala Line (Bir Hakim ?)

Apart from Crusader or Boxer none of the above sound suitable though.

Or Dassault Coer de Lion/ Fairey Lionheart after Richard I who was French after all ?

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.