Main Menu

Miles M.21 - for Tophe

Started by kitbasher, July 01, 2024, 06:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

This build stems from a PM and email exchange a few years back between Tophe and I.  Don't recall how it began (I have looked) but basically it concerned asymmetric aircraft.  Tophe brought to my attention a 2002 Aeroforums article by Jean Christophe Carbonel titled "asymétriques anglais" (original link doesn't work, instead go to http://www.geocities.com/asymmetrics/britishasymms.htm), which included this baby:

You cannot view this attachment.

I've since found a very similar (but not identical) drawing but don't recall the source (Tophe did mention one in Le Fanatique de l'Aviation, so it may originate from there):

In Tophe's opinion it is derived from the Miles Master with two Kestrel XXX engines, I think the second illustration looks a tiny bit more Hawker-ish.  Either way Flight Global apparrently ran an online article about it (sadly no longer available), in which it claimed the drawing was produced by an RAF officer in mid-1941, but Monsieur Carbonel seemingly found evidence it may be older.

Anyway, who knows for certain?  Possibly no-one.  So for the purposes of this build it'll be a Miles M.21 (research indicates the type number was not actually allocated), putting design work firmly into 1940.  Design work began in response to an Air Ministry decision to research asymetric designs as quickly and as cheaply as possible; Miles had the capacity and wasn't afraid of radical thought.  To expedite work a pair of war-weary Hurricane Is were to be adapted to prove the design and to facilitate flight in 1941.

Now to the nuts and bolts of the build.  At Telford last year I acquired various Airfix Hurricane I (1970s version) from The Wooksta as I think it had already been agreed by then to run an 'In Memorium' GB:

Finally, plans have been adapted:

Backstory-wise, all armament will have been removed, it was after all merely an aerodynamic test bed, not a proptype fighter.  The engine nacelle will need a tailwheel, will work out how that'll work out once the rest is built.  Needless to say it'll have a long leg!

Let the whif of a whif fun begin!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

Those drawings definitely look like something Tophe would design! There is always an air racing option for the paint scheme.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on July 01, 2024, 07:12:03 AMThere is always an air racing option for the paint scheme.

So long as it's pale blue..................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitbasher

Chopping and initial assembly of parts has begun:

Quick bit of taping up to give an initial idea of what it'll look like:

The engine 'pod' shape obviously needs further work.  The wing centre section is about 12 scale inches too wide - my fault, I'd not measured or marked up (one or the other, not sure which) the prop diameter when drawing up the templates.  No matter, easily resolved.

Toying with the idea of replacing the Hurricane tailplanes with spare Ye Olde Worlde Airfix Hawker Typhoon tailplanes I'm sure I have lying around.  Will give it further thought once/if I find them.

Ditto the main undercarriage.  Hurricane units might be a bit too small for two engines, again may resort to Olde Worlde Airfix Hawker Typhoon items but that might undermine the Air Ministry decision to research asymetric designs as quickly and as cheaply as possible.  It's a 'proof of concept' design not a fighter prototype and tbh I can do without the faff of cutting out larger wheel wells at the moment!
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

One Hurricane leg/wheel and one Typhoon similar?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Very cool 😎 👌

Typhoon parts seems the way to go ..bigger and stronger ..or bottie as we like to call it 😆 🤣
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

Fascinating!! Keep it coming!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 07, 2024, 09:00:39 AMOne Hurricane leg/wheel and one Typhoon similar?  ;)

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Robomog

Looking very elegant......

And very tophe  :thumbsup:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly harmless ...............

kitbasher

Engine pod assembled and first round of puttying done.  Once it's set hard I'll add some to the top and when that's set hard the PSR can begin.

Wings joined together.  Next step to sort out the leading and trailing edges; once done, some PSR.

Must dig out those Typhoon tailplanes and see how they look.

kitbasher

Engine nacelle done - mucho PSR and there's a more to come - and it's attached to the wings (which have the radiators attached).

Panel line scribing almost complete, then it's time to assemble/attach the fuselage.

Sadly the Typhoon tailplanes I've thought about using are MIA (or possibly packed away somewhere ahead of the move) so I'll stick with the Hurricane items.  Althoughb I may have a final delve later in the week.

Pics later in the week when a bit more work has been done.

Settled on the colour scheme - not wild or whacky, it'll be in boring early WW2 UK prototype/test aircraft colours (Dark Earth, Dark Green, Yellow).  Must get some yellow 'P' markings.

Robomog

Mostly harmless ...............