'46 German E25

Started by buzzbomb, July 07, 2024, 10:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Hmmm what to do, what to do ?
Pulled a few kits out, put most back.
Then went to this, the Trumpeter E25

.. 2 hours later.
Pretty simple build, all out of the box so far. You get the option of roof for either the small turret or just hatches. As if the just hatches option was ever going to happen  ;)

Currently on the tracks, you get the option of rubber bands or individual links.. Yes.. I went the indi links, but they almost got tossed in the box when I saw that each link had two knock out pin blemishes, that need attention. But, I persevered as there were only 72 links a side. So work continues

PR19_Kit

ONLY 72 links/side?  :o

That's a HECK of a lot of 'blemishes' that need attention!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 08, 2024, 05:40:02 AMONLY 72 links/side?  :o

That's a HECK of a lot of 'blemishes' that need attention!

Unless you add side skirts.  Then you only have to worry about the track links at the drive sprockets and idler wheels
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

It's not a tank, it's a ruddy tortoise! ;D  ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 08, 2024, 08:47:28 AMIt's not a tank, it's a ruddy tortoise! ;D  ;)
Deutsch for Tortoise... Schildkröte... that could stick ;D

Well it started out going completely out of the box... then I had a yeah,nahh moment and off we headed down the whiffing the whiff path

Ditch the gun, 3d print the basis of a new mantlet and do a roof mounted Range Finder setup. Now heading off to be an Artillery Observation platform, like a retro version of the AO vehicle based on the Jaguar Anti Tank Missile platform.
Being rather small and perhaps nippy it would maybe make a fine E Series Artillery Observation vehicle.

The mantlet will probably have some scissor Binoculars in a rotating mount, I you have space, may as well use it. Plus it will get a workover to get rid of the print marks.

zenrat

It's rather low.  So how about mounting the rangefinder etc in a telescoping mount which could be raised to allow it to see over whatever they were hiding behind?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Jakko

Also, with the rangefinder mounted where it is, it's just asking to be shot to pieces by the machine gun in the turret ... Or, if we assume that has an interlock or automatic elevation to prevent this, it completely blocks the field of fire to the right front. The rangefinder would make more sense either on the turret, or approximately where the periscope is to the right of that.
... I know all this and more ...

zenrat

Not that we're picking your build to bits or anything...

:-\

...just offering suggestions.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

buzzbomb

Quote from: zenrat on July 10, 2024, 04:09:22 AMNot that we're picking your build to bits or anything...

:-\

...just offering suggestions.

Well maybe I am just lucky none of this stuff is glued on yet, other than white glue tacks, while I work through other layout options and possible fitouts like an MG through revised casement  :-X 

Oh almost forgot today's very short session working through getting cast texture on the 3D printed casement.

zenrat

How about, instead of that dome casement you put on something like a B29 nose glazing?
 :mellow:
Fred

Old Wombat

Or put a ball-mount MG34 on the casting? :unsure:

It'd look like a bloody big nipple but there are worse things to look like! ;)

(I'm looking at you, Sentinel! :wacko: )
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Buzzy mate use the MG's turret to mount the range finder ..by using that you get 360° rotation and as for the machine gun...mount it to the hull like pretty much all other German tanks ...ball mount on the front plate   ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Captain Canada

Neat idea for neat little tank ! Keep on whiffing the whifs !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

buzzbomb

Quote from: Wardukw on July 10, 2024, 10:41:17 AMBuzzy mate use the MG's turret to mount the range finder ..by using that you get 360° rotation and as for the machine gun...mount it to the hull like pretty much all other German tanks ...ball mount on the front plate   ;D

The good thing about progress photos is you can see what might not work. Looking at the photos, I had already came to the same conclusion as Jakko, front mount location for the rangefinder does not work efficiently.
So, after I took all the temp placements off to work on the mantlet/casement and work around options for the range finder, I came to pretty much the same conclusion around working up a solution using the turret /turret location.
Pretty sure Dizzy has done something like this in his vastly more prolific body of work.

Or ditch the lot and just go back to out of the box.

Jakko

I think I'd fit it in place of the turret. It's the logical place for it, really. Then, in the front roof, add a Krummlauf mounting for an StG 44.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

... I know all this and more ...