Does an aircraft with football markings count as a civil aircraft?

Started by seadude, July 11, 2024, 07:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

I'm taking my F-16G "Packer Attacker" model to the IPMS/USA Nationals next week. Pictures below.
As you can see, it's painted and decaled in the colors and markings of the Green Bay Packers football team here in Wisconsin.
Problem is, What Category would this model fit into? It's a military aircraft. But it has civilian markings.

2024 National Contest Class Specific Rules
https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/ac24d88a-08a8-47fe-961a-a53559fd3d36/Final%20E-Board%20Approved%20%20Specific%20Class%20Rules%201.pdf
2024 National Contest Categories
https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/ac24d88a-08a8-47fe-961a-a53559fd3d36/2024%20%20Final%20Category%20List%20(5-26-24).pdf

My thoughts are that it could go into either of these categories/classes, but I am not sure. I'm trying to finish writing up my model sheets and need to make revisions.

CLASS: Aircraft
TYPE: Civil, Sport, Racing, etc.
CATEGORY:  #157,  1/144 and 1/72 Aircraft

CLASS: Aircraft
TYPE: Small Jet
CATEGORY: #121  1/72 scale

CLASS: Miscellaneous
TYPE: Miscellaneous
CATEGORY: #760  All other entries not otherwise covered.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

kerick

Since it has weapons and an Air Force registration number I would go military. Say it's a temporary paint job on a USAF Reserves aircraft showing local fan support.
One of these days I'm going to build the A-10 Thunderbear!
I like the football fuel tanks!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on July 11, 2024, 07:47:41 AMSince it has weapons and an Air Force registration number I would go military. Say it's a temporary paint job on a USAF Reserves aircraft showing local fan support.
One of these days I'm going to build the A-10 Thunderbear!
I like the football fuel tanks!

I agree. The question is really who owns it: the military or a civilian organisation/company/individual.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

I would say that it depends on how rowdy the fans are  :rolleyes:

Remember that there was a war over football, soccer to the Americans.
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

jcf

seadude

Quote from: jcf on July 11, 2024, 10:47:52 PMMiscellaneous: Humor in Modeling - 710.
;)

Nope. I would have to disagree. The model isn't showing/depicting humorous scene.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

jcf

Quote from: seadude on July 12, 2024, 06:04:11 AM
Quote from: jcf on July 11, 2024, 10:47:52 PMMiscellaneous: Humor in Modeling - 710.
;)

Nope. I would have to disagree. The model isn't showing/depicting humorous scene.
Otay, but it's definitely not "serious" and as it's in fantasy markings it's unlikely that it
would be accepted in the straight civil or military categories.

VII.Miscellaneous:
Hypothetical
720: Kit based; (spurious markings)

Is probably their most likely placement, but they do have TBD at the end of
the category description, which may mean that they've yet to determine if
it'll be included in the final list.