Triple engined P-38 Schneider Trophy racer.

Started by Wardukw, July 13, 2024, 12:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Right since the Mog man beat me to the push me pull you plane build and it would be stupid to have basically 2 of the same builds here I needed something else to build and man it didn't take long to get it  ;D
Zero-Sen posted some pics of his designs and one us a triple engined P-38 Lightning  :thumbsup:

It's got 3 booms and 3 engines and when I'm done ..floats aswell...I'll posy pics tomorrow as I've already attacked this thing.
Sobe fret none ..it was completely unstarted.
I'm starting with a old as dirt (1964) Monogram P-38 Lightning which was just sitting there doing nothing and with many thanks to Scotaidh ...ive also got a nice pile of spare bits too.
It's got to be a Schneider Trophy racing plane as I want to build a fecking float plane  :wacko:  :wacko:

The center engine is a real mish mash of parts ..it's made of parts from a Tamiya Lancaster..Hobbyboss P-40 ..Monogram P-38 of course and god knows what else 😆

There's gonna be a heap of PSR on this one for sure 🫠
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Robomog

Sorry about that :-\

But what you just described there sound very cool.  :thumbsup:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly harmless ...............

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: Robomog on July 13, 2024, 04:23:22 AMSorry about that :-\

But what you just described there sound very cool.  :thumbsup:

Mog
>^-.-^<
No need for sorry Moggy mate..I love the P-38..it's a twin after all and now I get to build something with even more power ..even better  :wacko:  ;D

I still do have a Mustang build in mind but no idea at this point on how to go about it ...it's inspired by the Italian Macchi M.C.72 ...this thing is pure mental  :o  ;D
Quote from: kerick on July 13, 2024, 08:55:22 AMPics, pics, pics please!  :wacko:
Patience young man 👨 😁😁
There's nothing to really photo at the mo..it's just normal P-38 bits glued together..when I get the center engine semi mounted then I'll post which will probably be today 😉
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Official the starting of the build pic  ;D
DSCF4633 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
And the first build pic...this is a simple kit to bang to together ,,,the slow parts are sealing up where the landing gear go and because the rears are terrible its gonna take some serious PSR to make them disappear ,,,but i will  &lt;_&lt;
DSCF4636 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
More to follow soon .

kerick

Looks like fun! That's 1/48th by the look of it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Its been a pretty productive day today ..without any body asking me stuff and just being able to work on a model its been a good day ...if the weather man is right tomorrow its gonna be a another good one ...everybody is saying rain ...heres hoping  ;D
Ken mate it is indeed in the correct scale of 1/48th  &lt;_&lt;

Now for anyone who hasnt seen Zero-sens pic of his triple engined P-38 ,...here it is .
52219153342_989b1bea25_o by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Its a very cool design and one i more than happy to build  :wacko:

Heres what ive gotten up to today .
First off the nose and filling in the landing gear .
DSCF4644 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4645 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
These are the floats im gonna use ..
DSCF4646 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Since the pic ive fitted the supports so i can figure out how and where im going to mount these things .
Mounting of the center boom  ...only took one pic of this but it wasnt as hard as it looked ..once i had a couple of coffees and a smoke or two a plan took shape and away i went  :thumbsup:
DSCF4647 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4649 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4651 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr'
DSCF4652 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4653 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Under the epoxy putty is alot of small pieces of plastic holding that lot together .
DSCF4654 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
And with the props test fitted ,,the center one is from a P-40 and without any work at all it fits the Lancaster engine cowling perfectly ...and better yet its the exact same size as the P-38s from Monogram  :o  :lol:
DSCF4655 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

ericr

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Robomog

Wow that is classic Tophe  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly harmless ...............

kerick

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together?!
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on July 14, 2024, 03:02:55 PMDon't ya love it when a plan comes together?!

Thanks boys  ;D  ;D ...oh PSR part 2 has taken place already ..next will probably be part 3 😁

Ken I do very much love that especially when it's a nut bar plan  :wacko:  :wacko:

It's strange for me to have 2 builds going at once and both are moving along nicely. 🙃

buzzbomb