The Martin PB3M-1 Master Mariner

Started by PR19_Kit, July 20, 2024, 08:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Yet another Spackman Long Term Build................

I've already started on the Academy Martin Mariner I bought y'day, if only to see if my plans for extending it in bo0th directions will work.

Here's the mandatory box pic.

All very impressive I think you'll agree, and so is the SIZE of it, it's about 3.5-4" thick!  :o

And there's a LOT of plastic in there too.

While I'm impressed with Academy's engineering of the kit, and its complexity, finding the parts on the sprues is a pain. They give you a diagram in the manuals (Yes, there are two of them.........) but they're so small you can't see the part nos. Neither can you see them on the sprues either as they're very slightly raised and don't cast shadows on the rest of the grey plastic.

The kit harks back to the 60s in some ways as all the control surfaces are designed to move, flaps and all, but the latter are so heavy they'll only rest in the full down position. Not for me, all the surfaces will be glued in place whether they like it or not.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Oh I'm gonna be keeping a not so close eye on this  ;D
I agree mate about moving parts..they never look right especially tails ..they never seem to sit right ..slightly cockeyed..yep..glue em up  :thumbsup:

I know what ya mean about the size difference between the Catalina and this beast Kit.
Here in NZ we've got a small air field called Ardmore and they have or had the remains of a Catalina there and when ya stand beside it ya think it's a good size then you see pics of a Mariner ..and nope 😄
She's a big girl for sure...I take it ..it's either getting a monster engine upgrade or more added 🤔 😅
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

sandiego89

Great box art!  Quite a splash with the depth charge detonation.

The nacelle weapon bays are a neat feature. 

My dad was stationed on a US Navy Seaplane tender in the early 1960's (then using Marlins) and alluded to the old salts reminiscing of Mariners doing some interesting things into China and N Korea   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on July 20, 2024, 11:46:06 AMShe's a big girl for sure...I take it ..it's either getting a monster engine upgrade or more added 🤔 😅

Current plans will have four engines, and four weapons bays of course too.

That is if I can figure out how to NOT have a gullwinged root on the vacform wing extensions. Having TWO gillwinged sections on the same aeroplane would look seriously silly.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Not if they cancel each other out...
--\//\__/\\/--

(The arrows wouldn't work, just imagine that the 'V's attach to each other... and the inner/outer dashes...)

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 20, 2024, 04:17:34 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on July 20, 2024, 11:46:06 AMShe's a big girl for sure...I take it ..it's either getting a monster engine upgrade or more added 🤔 😅

That is if I can figure out how to NOT have a gullwinged root on the vacform wing extensions. Having TWO gillwinged sections on the same aeroplane would look seriously silly.  :banghead:
Seriously silly would be putting one set of wings above the other and ending up with a gigantic X wing.
Would make more sense to eliminate the gull wing part completely if at all possible 🤔
Those engine locations are annoying and let me guess that wing past the engine gets very narrow very fast  giving you not alot of room to play .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 20, 2024, 01:19:52 PMGreat box art!  Quite a splash with the depth charge detonation.

Whenever I see that box art I always think she's making a sheer verticle climb away  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Minicraft, not Academy would have engineered the moulds given it's originally their kit.

I regret not getting one of these even more now i've seen your sprue shots.
If I can engineer a gull wing INTO a B-25 wing you can definitely engineer one OUT of a Mariner.

If a Master Mariner flying boat was used to lure enemy fighter aircraft into a trap would it be a Master Baiter?    ;D

I'll get me coat...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 20, 2024, 04:17:34 PM

Use wings from an old Hase Shinmeiwa.... ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Huge flying boats are always cool. Go for it! :D

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on July 21, 2024, 04:28:41 AMMinicraft, not Academy would have engineered the moulds given it's originally their kit.

I regret not getting one of these even more now i've seen your sprue shots.
If I can engineer a gull wing INTO a B-25 wing you can definitely engineer one OUT of a Mariner.

If a Master Mariner flying boat was used to lure enemy fighter aircraft into a trap would it be a Master Baiter?    ;D

I'll get me coat...

If it was a lend-lease one operating from a river in Ukraine, would it be a Master Don?

Pass me mine while you're there...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on July 21, 2024, 06:29:33 AMIf it was a lend-lease one operating from a river in Ukraine...

And now I'm picturing Ukraine Air Force Mariners hunting Russian BSF Kilos
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 21, 2024, 04:28:41 AMIf I can engineer a gull wing INTO a B-25 wing you can definitely engineer one OUT of a Mariner.

It'll need close examination of the vacform one first, and currently that's maybe 300+ miles and 10 days away. I'm not sure if I've ever taken that one out of its packet, ever!  :o

Quote from: zenrat on July 21, 2024, 04:28:41 AMIf a Master Mariner flying boat was used to lure enemy fighter aircraft into a trap would it be a Master Baiter?    ;D

I'll get me coat...

I was thinking of adding a few extra turrets to it anyway.  ;D

And I suspect you're about to be back in The Book Fred, AGAIN!   :wacko:

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I can't see why you can't just have the rise of the gull-wing continuing through the inboard engine nacelles to the outboard engine nacelles, Kit.

_ _ _ _ _O                  O_ _ _ _ _
                \O          O/
                        \(  )/
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 21, 2024, 09:43:02 AMAnd I suspect you're about to be back in The Book Fred, AGAIN!   :wacko:

Indeed and Weaver's been reported to the Natural History Museum  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.