Ricks' Ramblings

Started by Rick Lowe, July 20, 2024, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

So I thought I'd give this 'Blog' thing a try.

As I'm no longer a member of a modelling club (and we haven't had a show here in years) I thought it'd be nice to give some of my projects a showing.

A few caveats and explanations first, though:

I'm not very prolific, or quick, so more projects are likely to be started than they are finished. Also, updates will probably be sporadic.
There will be a mixture of completed models and WiPs, at least until I have finished posting the stuff I have done over the years.
Models may or may not be completed in a 'reasonable' time frame – or at all.

In some cases, I have put some thought into a backstory or purpose for a vehicle existing; other times I just thought it looked cool enough to build, without any other, deeper reason.
I have no problem with taking inspiration from others' builds and replicating them – maybe with a change of detail or markings, other times as-is.
It would also be fine with me if anyone sees anything in my builds that they'd like to copy.

With a few exceptions, I don't fancy the idea of paying large sums for models so I'm willing to make some concessions in detail and accuracy – and older kits tend to be cheaper, especially if someone is getting shot of something because they've upgraded to a newer, better kit.

I often prefer to make details myself, rather than use resin or photo etch; I find more fun in cobbling something up from various sources, rather than just stuffing the model full of aftermarket bits – which also tend to be pricey. This is because, as I have observed numerous times before, I'm 'frugal'.  (And I have all these bits I've gathered over the years which need to be used, otherwise it's a waste.)

The above points noted, there are times when I am willing to pay a bit extra (even – Shock, Horror! Retail prices!) for that something special, or if something comes along at a price where it would be silly to refuse, so don't expect consistency...

Anyway, I hope there is something here that you folks can enjoy; and as I'm well aware of my shortcomings, I'm not too precious about my things.
I model for me, after all.
Though tact is always appreciated and if you don't like something, that's fine – don't feel you have to comment, just move on. 😉

So having started, I should probably post something...

Rick Lowe

Ceres Crop Duster **Real World**

An Australian-produced aircraft, based on the Wirraway Trainer.
Wiki article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAC_Ceres
And a later addition, the website showing the RW scheme:
https://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/ceres/ceres.htm

Airfix 1/72 Harvard kit.

The fuselage was assembled and then cut in front of the cockpit and along the fuselage above the wings, the rear fuselage was also cut off.

I scratchbuilt a cockpit interior.

4mm of card packing was inserted in front of the cockpit, 2mm above and behind the wings.
The rear part of the tail was cut off and replaced with an unknown maker's P-40 tail, for the differently-shaped fin and tailplanes (though thinking about it later, I could/should have just replaced the Fin and Rudder).

The Cockpit area under the canopy was reshaped to a narrower section and the bit in front of the cockpit was built up to the newer, increased slope.

The wings were cut apart and a new centre section was inserted, the wingtips were reshaped, and I made new flaps and the new fixed leading-edge slats.

The engine cowling was reprofiled and packing was added into the rear of it, then the fuselage behind it was filed so it sloped more to make more of a gap between the fuselage and cowling, then the cowl/engine were glued on. A thin disc was added in front of the cockpit to depict the hopper tank hatch.

Next was a scratchbuilt lower cowling intake and dump spreader.

The tailwheel bay was opened up and I scratchbuilt a tail wheel.

The kit canopy was filed to new profile at the front and restored to clarity, the curved top was cut off and replaced with flat clear bits, the rear was removed and a new profile built up with card.

I used Mustang undercarriage legs and wheels (same as on the original aircraft, incidentally).

The propeller came from the spares box.

Spray primer was used, then Games Workshop yellow and red top coats, and a random black for the anti-glare panel & details.

Dry transfers for the lettering, put onto clear transfer sheet and applied as a normal transfer. Dirtying down with a Brown wash and drybrushing.

Rick Lowe

First batch of pics
(I'll get the hang of putting them in with the text yet...)

Rick Lowe

Wardukw

With that canopy Rick that had a real crop duster feel to it ..I think that's very cool bud  👍 😎
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Welcome to the wonderful world of Blogs Rick  :thumbsup:

That "Ceres" has really come out well, particularly like the scheme  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Looks good Rick.

Keep on blogging...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Thanks, folks. Glad to have finally gotten my act together and kicked this off after all the procrastination. :thumbsup:

(you may, however come to ever-so-slightly regret encouraging me... possibly... maybe... perhaps... time will tell  ;)  )

Pellson

That's a very nice piece of plastic surgery indeed!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 21, 2024, 10:57:00 PMThanks, folks. Glad to have finally gotten my act together and kicked this off after all the procrastination. :thumbsup:

(you may, however come to ever-so-slightly regret encouraging me... possibly... maybe... perhaps... time will tell  ;)  )

Well if we do, as I have recently discovered, it is very easy to mark a thread as NOT FOLLOWING meaning it never pops up on the list of unread posts or updated topics.   :mellow:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Rick Lowe

Thanks, Pellson. :thumbsup:

Fred, I didn't know about that - must investigate...   ;)

zenrat

You can also block a user.  If you do that you see that they have posted but just get the header with "YOU ARE BLOCKING THIS USER" in the body.
 I have one serially irritating person blocked.  She hasn't posted for ages but you never know...
Fred

DogfighterZen

The Duster looks the part but also made think of post WWII YAK trainers or aerobatics display birds.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Rick Lowe

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 24, 2024, 04:30:21 AMThe Duster looks the part but also made think of post WWII YAK trainers or aerobatics display birds.  :thumbsup:

Thanks.
To be fair, I have seen one painted as Japanese WW2, so... this one very nearly went that way...