Ricks' Ramblings

Started by Rick Lowe, July 20, 2024, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's a nice tribute to some historical lateral thinking  :thumbsup:

Quote from: kerick on August 09, 2024, 10:07:40 PMThat jeep is a great idea. I've seen pics before but I think it was SE Asia.

I'm sure I've seen some in the Far East as well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe

Cavalier Mustang.  **What If**

Another long-term project; IIRC I started it in the late 90s then put it aside for one reason or another.
Finally pulled it out of the box and got it done. In the 2010s...

No real back story to this one, I just wanted one in the collection. As you do.

Older Airfix Series 2 kit.
Belly scoop cut off & hole plugged with sheet styrene.
Hand-carved wooden dowel nose.
Exhaust from tubing.
Tip tanks from somewhere, cut in half and extended lengthwise.
Taller fin extension from card, aerials ditto.
Scratch prop blades (I think, but it may be a B-29 unit) and bomb nose for spinner.
Cobbled up extra pylons and rocket & minigun pods.
Humbrol paints and spares box markings.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Nice job.
 :thumbsup:

I've built a Red Roo Dartstang and have a second one in the stash but you built a turboprop 'stang the hard way.  Kudos mate.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on August 14, 2024, 05:29:27 AMNice job.
 :thumbsup:

I've built a Red Roo Dartstang and have a second one in the stash but you built a turboprop 'stang the hard way.  Kudos mate.

Cheers - comes down to being cheap...  ;)

kerick

That's a great job on the Dart powered Cavalier. I built a Piper Enforcer a long time ago. Still have it on the shelf.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe

'The Calm Before the Storm.'  **Real World**

German Kwk39 50mm/L60 cannon in an anti-tank mounting.
Normandy, late May 1944.

A number of surplus tank guns, taken from Panzer 3s when they were up gunned with the short 75mm, were attached to specially-produced mountings and emplaced to defend sections of coastline.

Some were placed in bunkers, others in open positions.

The model is based on only four kit parts; a 1/72 Matchbox JagdPanther 88mm barrel, the breech unit from the old 1/35 Tamiya Panzer 3, a transmission final drive cover from the 1/35 Academy Panzer 4, and an Idler from a 1/76 Airfix Panzer 4, for the traverse & elevation wheels.

The rest was plastic sheet and rod.

I figured a typical German fixed gun position would have the ranges to various terrain features pre-calculated and marked up, so I made a quick sketch and attached it to the rear of the gunshield.

Painted with Humbrol enamels.

Base is paper clay, textured with a piece of bark pressed into it, plastic sheet for the concrete walls and cardboard for the concrete stand. Other groundwork from sand, and some foliage from sawdust.

Painted with test pot acrylics for the base, various acrylic greys for the concrete and green and yellow for the 'foliage' and 'flowers', to add a splash of colour.

Plans from an issue of Tankette magazine. Photos from an internet search.

zenrat

Fred

NARSES2

That's come out well  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 16, 2024, 02:21:00 AMI figured a typical German fixed gun position would have the ranges to various terrain features pre-calculated and marked up, so I made a quick sketch and attached it to the rear of the gunshield.

Obvious when you think about it, which I didn't  :rolleyes:  Well done for thinking about it  ;D  :thumbsup:

scooter

Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 16, 2024, 02:21:00 AMI figured a typical German fixed gun position would have the ranges to various terrain features pre-calculated and marked up, so I made a quick sketch and attached it to the rear of the gunshield.

Range cards are a thing even in hasty dug in positions.  I remember having to sketch them up when I was going through the USAF Security Police Academy's M-60 qual course and during the Airbase Ground Defense course at Ft Dix (conducted by the Army).
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rick Lowe

Thanks, folks.  :thumbsup:

Chris - not saying I thought of it initially either, but it was something I could (and did) slap on after the fact, without much hassle.

Scooter - yeah that would make sense; you'd still need to have a rough 'guesstimate' so you could put the rounds where you needed them without undue delay.
I guess you quickly get the feel for eyeing up a ballpark estimate of distance.