Rheged's miscellany, part one.

Started by Rheged, July 21, 2024, 01:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

For some reason, I've not been able to get started on any orphan backstories in the last few months.  Loss of enthusiasm, excursions North to support a 96 year old mother in law, life generally getting in the way, a garden to keep in its cage, Madame Rheged STILL waiting for a hip operation.....things like that.  However, I have had a few ideas  that I don't think will work up into  fully blown, highly detailed articles  but none the less might  provide some interest, amusement and possibly even stimulus for fellow Whiffers.  Some are true-ish, with extraneous  details inserted to add verisimilitude to otherwise bald and unconvincing narratives;  some are fictional with sparks of accuracy here and there  and  at least one  piece  has no basis whatever in fact.  Here we go, then!  Are you sitting comfortably?, then I'll begin  the first of the series.........

How Joachim von und zu  Meerbach ended up at Camp 1, Grizedale Hall.

Part One:  POW  interrogation transcript  (extract).

.........and having completed my photo reconnaissance task  without being spotted, we turned our Me110 southwards and  headed for  for KG100's airfield at Vannes to hand over the films.  Through a gap in the clouds, my observer  Dolfie (Interrogator's note: Sergeant Adolf Baumann) spotted a most unusual biplane flying below us at a fairly slow speed.  An easy kill, perhaps? I decided to  investigate .  As we approached, the biplane jinked to the right and the upper wing became detached. Assuming that the aircraft was breaking up and was about to crash, I did not open fire  . I did not wish to add to the pilot's difficulties and so gave  him  time to bail out.  To my surprise, the enemy "biplane" had transformed into a Hurricane which turned sharply and opened fire.  My port wing was shredded and the engine caught fire.  I yelled to Dolfie "Get out" and  we both managed to deploy our parachutes. As we landed  in a field close to the village , three farm hands  and an elderly man with a shotgun took us prisoner. He spoke German with a rather old-fashioned accent.  We were marched to the village police station and given a cup of tea . RAF personnel  held us until we were transported to this camp, which I think is in the North West of England. (1)

Part Two: PC Herbert Briggs' report.

On hearing aero engines and gunfire, I proceeded outside and witnessed two parachutes, and a pall of smoke rising from the direction of the river meadows.  I returned to the office and made a telephonic report to RAF Brigstock informing them of this occurrence. Before I was able to investigate further, Sir David Andrews entered the police station with three of his farm staff restraining two German pilots. They were held at the police station until  uplifted by an  RAF party. Following the chief inspector's instructions, I recovered as much evidential material as possible. However, I was unable to recover the parachutes used by the pilots; these had already been taken by  village ladies to be made into articles of feminine clothing.

Part Three: Sir David's statement

I was discussing the repair of a fence when we were interrupted by the sound of a dogfight above our heads.  My chaps collared the two German airmen as their parachutes landed. Neither of them seemed hurt, although they were  badly shaken.  I spent a year at Freiburg University in my youth, so I could talk to them. I handed them over to PC Briggs, whilst his wife made a pot of tea for us all.  Neither of them were any bother, and seemed relieved to be alive. The RAF chaps arrived very promptly to take them away.

Part Four: Flight Lieutenant Edward (Teddy) Collinghurst's initial report to the  adjutant at RAF Brigstock.

It was all a bit of a lark, really.  I was stooging around doing fuel consumption and range testing on Hillsons mods to the Hurri  (2) when I saw an Me110 above and behind me.  I ditched the upper wing....it came away very cleanly.....and  turned in towards him. A three second burst shredded his port wing and engine. Both crew got out while the Me110 hit the deck .  I'm claiming it as my third kill.

(1) https://bbm.org.uk/airmen/GrizedaleHall.htm

(2) https://militarymatters.online/forgotten-aircraft/the-hillson-fh-40-slip-wing-hurricane/

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

The Rat

:thumbsup:

Quote from: Rheged on July 21, 2024, 01:32:15 PMHowever, I was unable to recover the parachutes used by the pilots; these had already been taken by  village ladies to be made into articles of feminine clothing.

Waste not, want not!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rick Lowe

Quote from: The Rat on July 26, 2024, 12:25:48 PM:thumbsup:

Quote from: Rheged on July 21, 2024, 01:32:15 PMHowever, I was unable to recover the parachutes used by the pilots; these had already been taken by  village ladies to be made into articles of feminine clothing.

Waste not, want not!  ;D

Thrifty Englishwomen making use of the largesse of the German Armaments Industry!  :thumbsup: