Side Projects - M20 Greyhound and British Weapons Carrier

Started by buzzbomb, July 22, 2024, 11:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

While procrastinating on the E25 build, our club went off to a build weekend.

So that led to more started models, of which a couple are Whiffers. Not huge amounts of effort going into them.
Using the Tamiya Greyhound, well M20 Command Car and Quad, both long time stash lurkers.

Greyhound/M20 went through a couple of thought bubbles, but settled on wedging in a 20mm Flak  38

The Quad Weapons Carrier, is due to the actual body work being trashed and perhaps destined for another life elsewhere.
So build up a tray and so far I am planning on putting a 3Inch Mortar in there. Started out as a WW2 type gun truck idea, with perhaps 2 Vickers MMG, but I think the mortar works better for a soft skin.

Using some left over LRDG truck bits and building up a cab area.

More to come as they evolve and go through the "does this work" processes.

Weaver

Is there enough room for a loader in that 20mm setup? Bear in mind that it's not belt-feed: it takes 20-round mags from the left hand side.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I like these, especially the idea of a 3" mortar "gun truck"  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Weaver on July 23, 2024, 01:59:07 AMIs there enough room for a loader in that 20mm setup? Bear in mind that it's not belt-feed: it takes 20-round mags from the left hand side.

Could you drop the "side panels" when in action  ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 23, 2024, 05:33:22 AMI like these, especially the idea of a 3" mortar "gun truck"  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Weaver on July 23, 2024, 01:59:07 AMIs there enough room for a loader in that 20mm setup? Bear in mind that it's not belt-feed: it takes 20-round mags from the left hand side.

Could you drop the "side panels" when in action  ?

I'd have thought you'd need to have the gun base level with the hull roof, and panels that drop down to form a platform, a bit like the original Wirbelwind (quad 20mm on a Pz.III chassis).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

buzzbomb

Or a mortar  ;)
As the add of the days of yore said... not so squeezy.

The venerable Italeri US 81mm mortar finally gets a run.

Now both Mortar carriers

I had both the Riich Models set of Brit weapons which had a  mortar and the Resicast 3 Inch Mortars, so a side by side comparison.

it will be one of these and orientation of forward vs aft facing mortars is in tinker mode as well.
Not totally discounted the Flak 38, probably slightly modded a bit more, but after the last session, it could be headed back to the box 'o bits.
it does fit nicely in the Quaddy Weapons carrier, but that has all been done before.

Old Wombat

Just bringing a couple of points raised elsewhere (BtS) here;

Rearward firing makes shoot-&-scoot operations easier & you're not shooting over the driver's head & deafening him. (Or her .... Thank you, Reg.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

A "flip flop" mount would enable a switch from forward to rearward mortaring as required.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Nice work. Always nice to see somat a bit different here.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

I like these . :thumbsup:
The weapons carrier is a neat idea...a round base plate for the mortar to sit on would make it very easy to move the tube to a new target and make it more stable 😀
As for the Flak 38 ...it actually sits quite well in its current position but lifting it up about 15mm ..you could build a new floor for it to sit on ..make the sides fold down and because it's a wiff and this I've done before..convert the gun to a MG 151belt fed cannon ...it's a pretty simple conversion.
The MG151 was vehicle mounted such as the Sdkfz 251 Drilling AA half track and the French kept making this gun into the 1960s .
So some enterprising young go getter described to mount the 151 to a flak38 mounting..a pretty simple idea 💡 😉 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

scooter

Quote from: Wardukw on July 28, 2024, 12:29:19 PMThe weapons carrier is a neat idea...a round base plate for the mortar to sit on would make it very easy to move the tube to a new target and make it more stable 😀

And hit targets off the centerline of the vehicle.  Just rotate the baseplate.

M106 107mm mortar carrier interior
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Wardukw

Quote from: scooter on July 28, 2024, 12:36:53 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on July 28, 2024, 12:29:19 PMThe weapons carrier is a neat idea...a round base plate for the mortar to sit on would make it very easy to move the tube to a new target and make it more stable 😀

And hit targets off the centerline of the vehicle.  Just rotate the baseplate.

M106 107mm mortar carrier interior
Bingo  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Jakko

Quote from: Wardukw on July 28, 2024, 12:29:19 PMa round base plate for the mortar to sit on would make it very easy to move the tube to a new target and make it more stable 😀
If these vehicles are intended as Second World War, though, a fixed mount with some alternative positions for the bipod legs, to give traverse, is more realistic:

You cannot view this attachment.
... I know all this and more ...