Alternate to Halfords

Started by The Wooksta!, July 27, 2024, 10:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

If you don't know already, Halfords cans are somewhat expensive now, at nigh on twelve notes a can.  Frankly, that's unaffordable and I advise them to entertain their mothers sexually.

However, I've switched to the Hicote range of primers from Range, which are just as good as Halfords, roughly half the cost at 5.99 for most cans which actually contain more than the standard Halfords ones.

I've tried both the white, grey and filler primers and been quietly impressed with them, I took a gamble on their generic Aluminium and found it's as good as the Halfords.

Think I'll be sticking with them from now on.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

That's good to know. I believe they have it in The Range, which is just down the road from my nearest Halfords too.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Not to mention Halfords' totally bizarre 'new improved' method of cataloguing their car paint colours.

They have neither the name of the colour nor the colour itself on the can lids, how stupid is that? The lids are now all generic colours, all reds are the same, and the colour now has an internal Halfords code which you're supposed to know (yeah, right.....) and the actual name of the colour is hidden deep in their computer system, and most of the operators there have no idea how to find it.

It took one of them over 15 mins to find my fave Ford Strato Silver there recently!!!!

The only way to find them by the actual colour is to find that shade on their small patch-up bottles, and note the internal code from them as they do have the proper colour lids.

As Lee is doing, I won't be going there again, and I hope they lose LOTS of business because of such stupidity.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Thank you, Lee.  This information is a great service to whiffers.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

As to how much in a can... 400ml in the Hicote (at 5.99 a can) 300ml in the Halfords (at 10.99 a can).
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 28, 2024, 02:16:03 PMAs to how much in a can... 400ml in the Hicote (at 5.99 a can) 300ml in the Halfords (at 10.99 a can).

Possibly the same manufacturer as well. Can't be that many about
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 29, 2024, 07:13:17 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 28, 2024, 02:16:03 PMAs to how much in a can... 400ml in the Hicote (at 5.99 a can) 300ml in the Halfords (at 10.99 a can).

Possibly the same manufacturer as well. Can't be that many about
According to posts on a model railroad forum Halfords changed their supplier and that
previously they'd been using James Briggs Ltd.
in Manchester. As it happens Hycote is the Briggs consumer brand.
;D

jcf

Hycote's colour matched touch up sprays
are a 150ml spray can. Which is stated to
be equivalent to a 300ml can in quantity of
paint because it uses a different propellant
system. List is 5.99 a can. 

Hycote Ford Strato Silver at My Motor World

Beermonster58

Quote from: jcf on July 30, 2024, 03:51:39 PMHycote's colour matched touch up sprays
are a 150ml spray can. Which is stated to
be equivalent to a 300ml can in quantity of
paint because it uses a different propellant
system. List is 5.99 a can.

Hycote Ford Strato Silver at My Motor World
Interesting. I used quite a lot of Halfords pants but, I refuse to pay the price now. Might order a batch of these. <_<
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

PR19_Kit

It'd be interesting to see how they deliver it, the Post Office won't accept paint in parcels these days.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2024, 02:40:54 AMIt'd be interesting to see how they deliver it, the Post Office won't accept paint in parcels these days.

What, not at all?  Thats ridiculous.  We can't move it by air but by surface transport is OK.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I think that's the case, yes.

Tinlets of acrylics are OK, but not enamels, and because cans are pressurised they're considered dangerous. That's what the sales people told me when I tried to get the spray varnish I use for my home printed decals anyway.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2024, 04:39:06 AMI think that's the case, yes.

Tinlets of acrylics are OK, but not enamels, and because cans are pressurised they're considered dangerous. That's what the sales people told me when I tried to get the spray varnish I use for my home printed decals anyway.

Not tried getting them posted for a couple of years, but as I understand it that's the rules now. I used to use a company that would produce aerosoles to the spec' you wanted. Single cans were pricey but it got cheaper the more you ordered, but they've only delivered by courier for years. Not even sure they are still going ?

Here's Hannants latest update on what they can and what they can't post

https://www.hannants.co.uk/help/question.php?question_id=110

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Hycote have a store locator on their site:
Hycote Store Locator

NARSES2

Quote from: jcf on July 31, 2024, 08:55:16 AMHycote have a store locator on their site:
Hycote Store Locator

And according to that there's one no more than 3 miles from where I live.

Quick update. On checking they appear to have filed for bankrupcy a couple of years ago, so I don't think that store locator is up to date.