Alternate to Halfords

Started by The Wooksta!, July 27, 2024, 10:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2024, 02:40:54 AMIt'd be interesting to see how they deliver it, the Post Office won't accept paint in parcels these days.
I've ordered different types of aerosol paint and varnish from different retailers recently. No problems having any delivered.. Most recent being Humbrol spray paints from Hornby and, Wonderland Models in Edinburgh and, also  Vallejo 400ml aerosol varnishes ordered on Amazon. Any number of types of spray paints available on (for example) Ebay and, they're available for delivery.
The items I received were delivered by non Royal Mail couriers.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

NARSES2

Quote from: Beermonster58 on August 01, 2024, 12:45:37 AMThe items I received were delivered by non Royal Mail couriers.

That's the key. You can get them, but not via Royal Mail
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

So why are RM so picky then?  :banghead:  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2024, 01:57:15 AMSo why are RM so picky then?  :banghead:  :banghead:

I'd guess that a retailer selling and sending out paints is going to be more careful with packing than your average person who will just stick a glass jar of Tamiya in a paper envelope.

The private parcel firms can pick and choose their customers, Royal Mail / Post Office have to serve anybody.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2024, 01:57:15 AMSo why are RM so picky then?  :banghead:  :banghead:
The aviation authorities tightened the hazardous materials regulations as a result the option of shipping
via airlines pretty much went away. The RM probably found it easier to just do a blanket prohibition and
they probably don't have the ground transport resources to compete with the private carriers. Of course
one has to wonder how that situation came about.
:unsure: :wacko:

PR19_Kit

They ONLY have ground transportation, it's all they need in the UK after all. And it's all driven by truck since they stopped the use of their dedicated mail trains last month.

If their competitors can do it, so could they, they're just dodging their responsibilities, as usual.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2024, 01:46:41 PMThey ONLY have ground transportation, it's all they need in the UK after all. And it's all driven by truck since they stopped the use of their dedicated mail trains last month.

If their competitors can do it, so could they, they're just dodging their responsibilities, as usual.
I wonder who mandated the changes that made the RM uncompetitive with private delivery services?
:angel:

PR19_Kit

That's just one of the questions about our previously government owned postal service.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2024, 10:47:18 PMThat's just one of the questions about our previously government owned postal service.  :banghead:
;)  ;D  :thumbsup: .I could probably give you an answer but, I fear that might contradict the "no politics" rules!

NARSES2

If you've seen any of the footage in the news about the Royal Mail's new "automated" parcel sorting facilities then you wouldn't want to be anywhere near it if aerosols are in parcels. I'm suprised anything fragile survives the journey through that system. :angel:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Fifty-something years ago, I worked  12 hour night shifts sorting parcels for the Post Office.  Lousy conditions, but good money (especially for a student)  Pheasants were sent by post, in two plastic bags enclosing the bird; the whole thing secured by an address label tightly tied around the neck.  If one of them came off the conveyor bringing parcels in for sorting, and into the rollers, considerable chaos, nausea and confusion was the result.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 02, 2024, 05:44:00 AMIf you've seen any of the footage in the news about the Royal Mail's new "automated" parcel sorting facilities then you wouldn't want to be anywhere near it if aerosols are in parcels. I'm suprised anything fragile survives the journey through that system. :angel:

I can attest to that! I had a temporary job over the festive period at our main local sorting office. I've seen first hand how parcels were treated....! ;)  ;D

zenrat

A wise man once said "if your parcel can't be drop kicked down a flight of stairs then you haven't wrapped it properly".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Exactly!

In my last job I installed and maintained some test systems that simulated just that. They were bought by packaging companies to test their boxes, bubble-wrap, corrugated carboard etc. to ensure they were strong enough to withstand such treatment.

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 03, 2024, 05:10:55 AMExactly!

In my last job I installed and maintained some test systems that simulated just that. They were bought by packaging companies to test their boxes, bubble-wrap, corrugated carboard etc. to ensure they were strong enough to withstand such treatment.

I probably used some of those (or at least, got someone who knew how) in a previous job, twenty-odd years ago.  Part of the checks for bringing in new medical products was a packaging integrity test.  We contracted it out at first, then brought it in house as we thought they over spec'd the packaging.  We worked out the equipment was a bit too good at it's job, really giving the product a good hammering, but bringing it in house meant we could make that call.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.