Rockwell ET-2G Buckeyed for Tophe ++FINISHED ++

Started by McColm, July 31, 2024, 11:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

This uses the Matchbox 1/72 North American T-2C/E model kit. I'm using the wingtip fuel tanks for the Supermarine Spitfire Eland so I have used the Airfix 1/72 Panavia Tornado F.3 wings to extend them.
The engine has been taken from another Airfix kit the F-4B Phantom, well its the exhaust pipe which fits surprisingly well .
This will be left overnight to dry.

A comparison with an already built 1/72 Matchbox T-2C/E with the Gloster E28/39.

McColm

Landing gear has been added and a clear plastic pole to prevent this being a tail sitter with the arrestor hook deployed.
In-flight refuelling probe and a pair of underwing weapons pylons.

kerick

The wing tips look great. You're on a roll!
There's that giant love bug again.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Quote from: kerick on August 01, 2024, 05:45:11 PMThe wing tips look great. You're on a roll!
There's that giant love bug again.....
It's a Jaguar Mk2 Coupe

McColm

I've added the Sidetrack radar detectors and changed the name.

McColm

A slight mishap with the nose leg landing gear, so its been changed. An extra set of wheels to prevent being a tail sitter. The crew have come from various A-10 Warhog kits trimmed to fit.
I'm still working on a colour scheme, the grey is temporary for now.

McColm

During Exercise Ghostbusters '97, the USAF became interested in the Rockwell Buckeyed flown by the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm. As they were using them in the Airborne Early Warning role, having been modified from the North American T-2C/E Buckeye.
Refitted with a single Rolls-Royce Spey engine with the Sidetrack radar receivers and ECM radome.  Fifteen aircraft were in service flown by the Fleet Air Arm and the Royal Air Force until they were replaced by the Westland Merlin Black Crow. However nine were returned to service after a major refit as problems had occurred with the Merlins causing operations to cease and the Merlins returned to the ASW role.
The Fleet Air Arm lent the USAF one of their aircraft and decorated it to suit the occasion, they also plumbed in a nose receptacle to allow refuelling from USAF tankers .designated the ET-2G, after 18 months of trials and evaluation it was handed over to the USNavy then passed to the USMARINES keeping the fictitious Ghostbusters unit and callsign. After the evaluation the aircraft was returned to the Fleet Air Arm, parts were stripped before the aircraft was given to the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

McColm

I don't know where I put the cockpit canopy, so I have used the one from a two-seater Harrier. This seems to fit. The jet exhaust pipe has been changed for the 1/72 Airfix Tornado F.3. Interior detailing using the decals from the NAW-10B sheet cut to fit.

McColm

I've found the canopy and I have glued it in the open position.
I'm having problems with the Imgur app hence grouping the four builds together.