1/72 Vickers 559 FAW.2 in 56 Sqn colours

Started by scautomoton, August 05, 2024, 12:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scautomoton

So this is my attempt at a "What If the Vickers 559 had been selected from the 155T submissions and actually entered service".

I biffed off the 600kg missiles located dorsally because I can't imagine it would actually have come to fruition and instead went with a Lightning-esque strategy. I also dismissed the Red Dean's altogether assuming the RAF may have purchased AIR-2 Genies at 1/2 the weight and none of the development delay. The hypothetical FAW.2 spec adds a single cannon to the ventral pack for warning shots, and a twin-launch rail to allow Red Top and AIR-2 Genie to be carried simultaneously. I've chosen 56 Sqn colours because a) I like them and, b) they seem one of the most likely squadrons to get the latest, fastest fighter in the RAF's arsenal.

WIP build thread is here:
"https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235134944-vickers-559-faw2-whatif-build/page/2/"

Kit - 1/72 Fantastic Plastic Vickers 559
Extras - Master metal Jaguar GR.1 pitot, Eduard Sea Venom Cockpit Etch, Eduard B.2 Undercarriage Etch, Reskit MIG-31 Early Type Exhaust Nozzles, Quickboost Lightning Air Intakes, Quickboost Lightning Weapon Pylons, Quickboost BAe Hawk Air Intakes, various Lightning decals to create 56 Sqn markings and stencils, CMK Martin Baker Mk.4 resin Ejector Seats, AIR-2 Genies donated from BM user
3D Print - Red Top missiles (since I was never satisfied with any kit or aftermarket items)
Vac Forming - Canopy made from mold of original (which was too thick)
Paint - Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Aluminium, Polished Aluminium, Chrome for Plastic, White Aluminium, Dark Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Jet Exhaust, Pale Burnt Metal; Tamiya X-1 Black, XF-1 Flat Black, X-9 Brown, X-10 Gunmetal, X-11 Chrome Silver, XF-66 Light Grey; Mr Gunze Aqeous 3 Red, 8 Silver, 18 Steel, 21 Of White, 52 Olive Drab, 77 Tyre Black, 79 Sand Yellow
Weathering - limited use of Sludge wash from Mr Gunze 77 Tyre Black; Tamiya Weathering Master Burnt Blue, Burnt Red, Oil Stain, Soot, Snow.
Varnish/Finish - Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear; W&N Galeria Gloss & Satin

So in terms of work to do to the kit to improve realism:

- Lightning cannon port added to ventral fuel tank
- relocated missiles from dorsal location to on chin as per Lightning
- 3d printed some Red Tops because Airfix kit items lack detail, and the resin jobbies I bought were badly cast. I used the clear seeker heads from the resin kit
- Cut out blanked intakes and scratchbuilt inlet pipe (not that you can see much tbh)
- sharpened edges of inlet shock cone
- scratchbuild cockpit and bulkhead and detailed with Sea Venom etch
- replace nose gear bay with modified TSR-2 bay and scratchbuilt doors
- split main landing gear doors for better look
- scratched some brake lines from 5A fuse wire
- all wings and fins sharpened on the trailing edges
- replaced kit exhausts with MIG-31 resin items (since kit parts had no depth)
- Lightning and Hawk air inlets added to add a bit of busy-ness to the exterior
- 10g of lead on back of cockpit
- Eduard B2 bomber undercarriage etch to detail main gear bays and inside of door surfaces
- aerials done with stainless wire
- added Jaguar GR.1 pitot
- various etch finlets, probes etc to decorate the exterior for a more realistic look
..... I think that's it..

This kit started off well, and the overall fit and finish is good, with minimum fettling really required if you want to build it OOB. My difficulties started with the paintwork, which has fought me persistently. I've just gotten to the point where it needed to be finished, so please excuse some of the imperfections around the canopy (bloody nightmare) and the various micks I missed in primer, as well as the flecks of dirt and dust I am stuck with. I had to repaint various bits (including the fuselage) on average 3 times. So I am mighty glad she's done. If it was a child it would have been sent to sit in the corner for constantly answering back! I've only lightly weathered it on the basis that 56 Sqn machines tend to look pretty clean and shiny in most pics I've seen.

Overall, I'm really quite pleased. It's turned out pretty much how I envisioned it. I need to learn not to forge ahead when I should let paint dry for 24hrs etc, but otherwise I'm not ashamed of it. I think I'm most happy with the exhaust, I struggled with it for ages until I got it right.

Anyway, pictures! Believe it or not I actually used a blue background, but the sunlight today is just awful, so this is the best my humble phone would do, perhaps I should invest in a modest DLR of some sort...

PR19_Kit

Only one word for it really.

AWESOME!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I LOVE the concept of 'warning shots'.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Amazing! what a great paint job!
The firebird colors look really great cracking on the Vickers 559.

David aka 63CPE

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scautomoton

Thanks all, appreciate the comments.

@63cpe these are the Genies you provided, thanks again!

Gondor

Really good looking. Somewhat envious that you got hold of one of these.
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

scautomoton

Quote from: Gondor on August 05, 2024, 01:37:01 PMReally good looking. Somewhat envious that you got hold of one of these.

They're readily available from Fantastic Plastic, albeit not cheap.

What I really want, but cannot find for love nor money, are a P.1154 and P.1214....

63cpe

Quote from: scautomoton on August 05, 2024, 01:34:23 PMThanks all, appreciate the comments.

@63cpe these are the Genies you provided, thanks again!

Ah, all right! I'm glad they went to a good home and contribute to a stunning model. Marvelous, a great Job! Inspirational and an example by of great craftsmanship.

David aka 63CPE

chrisonord

Very nice, and makes mine look weapons grade blandium  :wub:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

buzzbomb

Certainly packs a fair bit of WOW in presentation... terrific work

jalles

killnoizer

It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

kitbasher

Excellent build, missile configuration is far more sensible (and obvious).

It's still Fireball XL5, mind!😉
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter