Canadian Piasecki H-17B - Memoriam GB - Robert (Kitnut617)

Started by mat, August 22, 2024, 01:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Don't ya just love those molded in outlines for the decals? Might as well sand the whole thing smooth and forget about the rivets.   :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

Quote from: kerick on September 03, 2024, 10:22:20 AMDon't ya just love those molded in outlines for the decals? Might as well sand the whole thing smooth and forget about the rivets.   :thumbsup:

Yep, and on most kits of that era, the rivets, scaled up, would be the size of grapefruit anyway.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

The last couple of times I built one like that I used a file to get rid of the rivets. That way it avoided high spots where the rivets used to be.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

mat

Quote from: kerick on September 03, 2024, 10:22:20 AMDon't ya just love those molded in outlines for the decals? Might as well sand the whole thing smooth and forget about the rivets.   :thumbsup:

When I was a kid I did try to paint the markings on, using the molded in outlines. It didn't come out well  :-\

NARSES2

Quote from: mat on September 04, 2024, 12:36:38 AM

When I was a kid I did try to paint the markings on, using the molded in outlines. It didn't come out well  :-\

All parrt of the learning curve though  ;)  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

I tried to put decals over those outlines but of course they wouldn't lay down over all those lumps and bumps.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

I've got a 48th Gotha bomber with molded on crosses and when I build this ..which will be soon ..those are going bye-bye
I'm pretty sure I've got replacement crosses in my aircraft decal pile 🙃
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

loupgarou

The
Quote from: Wardukw on September 05, 2024, 11:31:49 PMI've got a 48th Gotha bomber with molded on crosses and when I build this ..which will be soon ..those are going bye-bye

The ancient Aurora kit. :wub:
Built all the series when I was a kid. <_<
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Wardukw

Quote from: loupgarou on September 06, 2024, 12:23:36 AMThe
Quote from: Wardukw on September 05, 2024, 11:31:49 PMI've got a 48th Gotha bomber with molded on crosses and when I build this ..which will be soon ..those are going bye-bye

The ancient Aurora kit. :wub:
Built all the series when I was a kid. <_<
Yup 😄 😊
The one I've got Lou is made by some crowd called
K&B manufacturing..a division of Aurora 😆
This one is numbered 1126 ..now that'll get the ol memory banks going  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Only problem with that is that you'll sand off the rib tapes, if it's got any that is.

I've never built any of those kits, but loved the box art as a kid.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 06, 2024, 05:57:35 AM

Only problem with that is that you'll sand off the rib tapes, if it's got any that is.

I've never built any of those kits, but loved the box art as a kid.

Some of the Aurora boxarts were quite striking. In that series, in my opinion the best one was the Douglas M-2 mailplane taking off (or landing?) in the rain.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

frank2056

mat

My younger brother had the Aurora 1/48 Gotha. He even tried to paint the lozenge. I don't think he ever finished it.

zenrat

Quote from: mat on September 07, 2024, 02:57:50 AM
My younger brother had the Aurora 1/48 Gotha. He even tried to paint the lozenge. I don't think he ever finished it.

Did they mould raised lines for the lozenge?
I wonder how well we could paint inside the lines now?

Quote from: frank2056 on September 06, 2024, 09:04:37 AM

It's taking off, and the bloke in the raincoat is saying "WAIT, WAIT, I'VE GOT A MOTHERS DAY CARD HERE..."
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

mat

There were no raised lines for the lozenge. He tried to paint it on free hand. I think that made him give up the building.