Only Man Awarded Both Victoria Cross & Iron Cross

Started by rickshaw, August 26, 2024, 07:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Incredible story. Must have been an incredible man. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 27, 2024, 07:00:53 AMIncredible story. Must have been an incredible man. :thumbsup:

Especially running into the thick of the fighting to rescue the wounded
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rick Lowe

Quote from: scooter on August 27, 2024, 08:21:33 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 27, 2024, 07:00:53 AMIncredible story. Must have been an incredible man. :thumbsup:

Especially running into the thick of the fighting to rescue the wounded

Like every Combat Medic... though (not having seen the episode yet) if that wasn't his job, even more kudos. :thumbsup:

rickshaw

The funny thing is, I served in the Australian Army with a man who, when serving in the Hungarian Army had been awarded the Iron Cross.  He was a most unusual man who, despite being warned not to wear it, wore it on parade.  He was the man who recommended two of the VCs won in Vietnam.  He was a crazy old bugger and he got away with wearing his Iran Cross because he was in the SASR where they did things "differently" there.   Amazingly when my uncle died he ended being buried next to him in the same cemetery.   Felix Fazekas was his name. 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

What an amazing story Brian, it must have been an honour to serve with a guy like that.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: rickshaw on August 28, 2024, 09:59:30 PMThe funny thing is, I served in the Australian Army with a man who, when serving in the Hungarian Army had been awarded the Iron Cross.  He was a most unusual man who, despite being warned not to wear it, wore it on parade.  He was the man who recommended two of the VCs won in Vietnam.  He was a crazy old bugger and he got away with wearing his Iran Cross because he was in the SASR where they did things "differently" there.   Amazingly when my uncle died he ended being buried next to him in the same cemetery.   Felix Fazekas was his name. 

The citation for his Military Cross is incredible. It would make a good Commando comic book story!
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/44201/supplement/13719/data.pdf

Fazekas even recommended one of the dead guys, WO Kevin Wheatley, for the Victoria Cross which was also awarded. Wheatley stayed behind when ordered to leave so he could protect his wounded mate Ron Swanton and drag him to safety. Sadly neither survived the battle.

Rick Lowe

:o  :thumbsup:  :salute:

To both parties.

Interesting; I was under the impression the Iron Cross dated from the First World War, which is what confused me.
I didn't think of it predating that.

scooter

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 04, 2024, 12:38:39 AMInteresting; I was under the impression the Iron Cross dated from the First World War, which is what confused me.
I didn't think of it predating that.
Instituted as a Prussian military award during the Napoleonic Wars (1813) by Frederick Wilhelm III
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng