Vickers Wisley AEW & C ++FINISHED ++

Started by McColm, August 28, 2024, 04:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I have received the Revell 1/72 Vickers Wellington Mk.X/XIV this morning. The wings from the old Airfix Avro Lancaster Mk.I/III fit,well I've dry tested them they have the engines off a Frog Avro Shackleton MR.3 stuck on the front of the Merlins painted gunmetal. I have found a rear resin piece which I think came from a Wellington Transport conversion set, the kit comes with the part 78 which I will use .

McColm

The fuselage windows, flight crew seats and the two fuselage halves have been glued together. As the superglue hasn't arrived yet I have used the back of one of the rear gun parts as a blanking plate which fits with a bit of trimming. I have attached the twin tail fins from an old Avro Lancaster Mk.I/III and I had a spare fin so the Vickers Wisley now has a triple tail fin layout.
A little bit of putty has been applied to the rear and sanded to shape. Up front the nose glazing for the Mk.XIV has been glued along with the radar chin part..A little bit of sanding along the seam lines has been done.
The new wings haven't been glued on yet but this is the mock up that I intend to build.

McColm

After lunch I added the main landing gear from a Avro Shackleton MR.3, the gear had been used before and a little bit of prep work they are glued and so are the wings. I've put two old paint pots underneath the outer wings so I know that the wings will be level.
Once dry PSR can begin.

McColm

Day 2 part 1

The tail wheel has been glued on and I have used the oil cooler engine ducts on top of the fuselage, putty has been used for filling in any gaps. The Wisley is now a twin stick the parts have come from the Frog Avro Shackleton MR.3, cut to size.
Having pinched some parts from another pair of used Avro Lancaster wings, I have noticed that the wingtis aren't rounded as the other ones maybe they had lights to be fitted but i don't where they are so it looks a bit different.

Part 2
PSR and the first coat of Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black acrylic paint applied with a hairy brush.

Day 3

After a light sanding a second coat of X-18 semi-gloss black acrylic paint,  then left to dry. Resulting in some places which look weathered, the fuselage windows have been painted over. I found a pair of ECM jammer pods from the Peacemaker and changed the designation from C to Mark X (X for experimental). The RAF decals have been taken from the Revell Wellington along with those from various Avro Lancasters.
Six bladed contra-rotating propellers similar to those on the Vickers Windsor. They will be painted along with a bit of touching up. The cockpit seats need painting.

McColm

Day 4

I'm going down the 100 Group route that used modified aircraft in the early days of Electronic Warfare, the black paint scheme looks a bit sneaky and the Wisley would have flown during the night by the Royal Air Force on the bomber raids in World War II. The Wisley would have probably taken part in the Korean War from the development of Project Cadillac as a AEW or ASW using the AN/APS-20 radar.
The Vickers Wisley could have been used for engine trials and avionics testing in the development of the Avro Shackleton MR.1 and as a training aircraft until the airframe hours expired ending up on a gunnery range or mock airfield.

McColm