AH-1W Cobra ,,Apocalyptic replacement chopper build.

Started by Wardukw, August 29, 2024, 09:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Right for you blokes who have seen that Apocalyptic chopper transporter thingy im building you might remember that the bird was ordinally a old school Huey ,,,this chopper just wouldnt turn out the way my brain was seeing it and that annoyed me and thats part of the reason this thing sat untouched for as long as it did ,,,then one day not long ago on my fav trading website i came across this bird....and $16 bucks later it was mine ...epic score as it also came with a resin upgrade set ,,cockpit details and drive unit for the gun ...this is now replacing the old Huey and its tuning out pretty seet so far ,,,its a simpler build than the first one but it fits its purpose much better as this can carry crop tanks and with the three barreled 20mm canon it can shred ,,bigtime  :wacko:
I figure that with its intended job being recon more than destruction it didnt need a mass of fire power ,,so no rockets or missiles ...just its main gun and drop tanks ...think that will work .

So without further ado ,,,here we go ,,,first of the cockpit ...yep ,,it got attacked as this really needed more details ,,,it kinda didnt have any ..its a old as the hills MPC kit after all.
DSCF4725 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4728 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4733 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4735 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The stub wings got replaced with a couple from an AH-64 Apache ,,they look better .
DSCF4721 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4723 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Next the rotor head got attacked ,,it looked like crap ..so i made a new one .
DSCF4740 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4743 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4744 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4745 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Its alot cleaner now than you see in the above pic,,,
Next the tail rotor got detail added.
DSCF4750 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4760 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4761 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The gun got tarted up a wee bit as well .
DSCF4751 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4752 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

As for the painting side of things ....im really looking at this being borrowed  ;)  from a repair/rebuilding facility so its not painted in its combat colours ...the pics i have shot it in natural metal with a zinc green primer in different shades and i think it looks quite good and more in tune with this build ...anyway we'll see  ;D     
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

This looks like a great start! Can't wait to see more.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Cool! Nice Gizmologising there, Phill.

And as for ordnance - they can always add some, should the need arise... is there room for some stowed empty rocket and minigun pods?

Wardukw

Thanks lads  ;D  ;D

Quote from: kerick on August 29, 2024, 10:03:36 PMThis looks like a great start! Can't wait to see more.
Ken mate theres going be that for sure  ;)
Kinda thinking about throwing some paint at it tomorrow 🤔 😬

Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 29, 2024, 10:47:09 PMCool! Nice Gizmologising there, Phill.

And as for ordnance - they can always add some, should the need arise... is there room for some stowed empty rocket and minigun pods?
I'm still umming and ahhhring about that ..the mounts could still added but the pods and such are dead weight but I see where your coming from matey...the ability to load out if necessary..definitely not a stupid idea for sure .
Could load it out like there is a problem as in a zombie horde which needs removing or its just come back from removing said issues 🤔 🙃
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Not bad! :thumbsup:

The UH-1 has more versatility ... but the AH-1 has a bigger gun! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

Got the popcorn ready and waiting for more on this bird...  :thumbsup:
Curiously, i also used Apache stub wings and pylons on my Fenestron Cobra.:mellow:

You cannot view this attachment.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

buzzbomb

I like what I see.. the gubbins detail in the office are really, really nice  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Thanks boys  ;D  ;D  ;D

Guy I totally agree with ya on the UH-1 being versatile..that's for sure so using Kits second rule that bird isn't gone..it still exists 😉
It's no longer a gun ship ..it's a SAR/cargo bird since they got their hands on this  ;D
I'm having ideas of mounting the Spec Ops wings from a MH-60 on it so it can carry drop tanks ..rescue gear ...just an idea for now .

Rui ..love that build mate 👌...I have a 35th Academy Zulu in the stash but I'm not nicking parts from that 😄

Thank ya Buzzy mate 👍...dude there had to be something there..it's bloody naked otherwise...can't wait to dry brush the hell out of this cockpit 😆

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw on August 30, 2024, 07:05:49 PMRui ..love that build mate 👌...I have a 35th Academy Zulu in the stash but I'm not nicking parts from that 😄

:thumbsup: I understand and agree, i have the 72nd Dream model kit and the 48th Kittyhawk kit of the Zulu and one of them will be built OOB, the other will get a Fenestron tail rotor but i haven't decided which one but i admit i'm pending more towards the 48th kit cause that Whiskey is 72nd...  :mellow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 30, 2024, 10:54:16 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 30, 2024, 07:05:49 PMRui ..love that build mate 👌...I have a 35th Academy Zulu in the stash but I'm not nicking parts from that 😄

:thumbsup: I understand and agree, i have the 72nd Dream model kit and the 48th Kittyhawk kit of the Zulu and one of them will be built OOB, the other will get a Fenestron tail rotor but i haven't decided which one but i admit i'm pending more towards the 48th kit cause that Whiskey is 72nd...  :mellow:
I'm keeping the Z OTB as this bugger wasn't cheap and the Academy 35th W is at a pretty good price really but no where as cheap as this one  ;D
One thing I did was down load the plans for the Academy W and the plans are pretty much identical to this MPC kit ...It gives me the idea that Academys is a rerelease of the MPC kit .
I'll admit that this kit went together extremely well..the fuselage half's fitted perfectly which I can't say about some much more modern kits I've built.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

As far as versatility, the Cobra can be fitted for lifting a pretty heavy load. A couple of lawn chairs on the stub wings and you can carry passengers too. There was a story from the Gulf war where an Apache picked up a wounded soldier and carried him to an hospital while the gunner held on to the outside for quite a few miles.

https://www.nationalguard.mil/News/Article-View/Article/573012/apache-pilots-save-critically-wounded-soldier-with-unorthodox-evacuation/
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on August 31, 2024, 08:45:30 PMAs far as versatility, the Cobra can be fitted for lifting a pretty heavy load. A couple of lawn chairs on the stub wings and you can carry passengers too. There was a story from the Gulf war where an Apache picked up a wounded soldier and carried him to an hospital while the gunner held on to the outside for quite a few miles.

https://www.nationalguard.mil/News/Article-View/Article/573012/apache-pilots-save-critically-wounded-soldier-with-unorthodox-evacuation/
Those pods/weak ways along the side of the cockpit would make very possible i reckon.
And also ...man that would be an interesting ride 😆 🤣

scooter

Quote from: Wardukw on August 30, 2024, 12:07:32 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 29, 2024, 10:47:09 PMCool! Nice Gizmologising there, Phill.

I'm still umming and ahhhring about that ..the mounts could still added but the pods and such are dead weight but I see where your coming from matey...the ability to load out if necessary..definitely not a stupid idea for sure .
Could load it out like there is a problem as in a zombie horde which needs removing or its just come back from removing said issues 🤔 🙃

Remember, napalm sticks to zombies :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Wardukw

Quote from: scooter on August 31, 2024, 11:11:00 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 30, 2024, 12:07:32 AM

Remember, napalm sticks to zombies :wacko:
Ohhh I forgot to mention...this bird has now got 4 new weapons pylons  ;D
Armed with rocket pods and she's already got drop/now napalm tanks 😆
Cheers Scooter mate 👍 😁