AH-1W Cobra ,,Apocalyptic replacement chopper build.

Started by Wardukw, August 29, 2024, 09:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on September 05, 2024, 11:12:59 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2024, 11:50:37 AMOnly time I ever had sweet potato I almost spat it out, way to sweet for me. It was as though someone had thrown a handfull of sugar over it. This was somewhere in the Caribbean.
OK that kinda explains it mate ...Caribbean cooking can be pretty sweet and very spicy like jerk chicken .

Now spicy food I love, but even as a child I didn't like sweet food. Given the choice between sweets or cheese, I'd take the cheese. Still would.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2024, 12:44:01 AMOnly ever eaten pumkin once, can't remember if it was in Italy or the U,S., to sweet for me, but then I've never had a sweet tooth even as a child.
Pumpkin or pumpkin used in a tart or pie? The sweetness will come from what has been mixed in, by itself just roasted or used in a soup/stew etc. it's little different from other varieties of "winter" squash. There are varieties of so-called sugar pumpkins which are naturally slightly sweeter but it's not like a pie or tart filling that's been made with an excessive amount of sugar.

As to sweet potatoes it depends on the type and how they've been prepared, roasted, baked or steamed and then eaten as they are is much different than the horrible, add sugar and bury them in marshmallows thing. Shudder. They're naturally "sweet" and don't need any additional sweetening, they also take savory spices very well.
Horses for courses of course.
;)

jcf

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 05, 2024, 02:01:53 PMBut the American palate can be more oriented to the sweet, from what I understand.
As for the idea of mixing marshmallow into mashed potato... yikes. :-\
It's regionally variable to a large degree and largely a result of sugar being cheap in the US for a very long time. Overly sugared foods are especially prevalent in the South due to sugar being very cheap, because it was both grown and produced in the region plus centuries of "low" labour costs. Before and after the Civil War.

One thing my Mum noticed after we moved to the US is that recipes that were otherwise the same called for more sugar than the Canadian version.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: jcf on September 06, 2024, 03:09:24 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 05, 2024, 02:01:53 PMBut the American palate can be more oriented to the sweet, from what I understand.
As for the idea of mixing marshmallow into mashed potato... yikes. :-\
It's regionally variable to a large degree and largely a result of sugar being cheap in the US for a very long time. Overly sugared foods are especially prevalent in the South due to sugar being very cheap, because it was both grown and produced in the region plus centuries of "low" labour costs. Before and after the Civil War.

One thing my Mum noticed after we moved to the US is that recipes that were otherwise the same called for more sugar than the Canadian version.

Yeah, that makes sense - encourage the use of a cheap commodity to keep the wheels of commerce/healthcare/insurance turning... sorry, a bit negative there, but I is who I is.  ;)

Sugar added to regular, white bread? Yuk.

There again, we're not immune... there was cooking show here whose host also featured in adverts for a sugar company... guess what she added to nearly every recipe.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 06, 2024, 05:55:11 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on September 05, 2024, 11:12:59 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2024, 11:50:37 AMOnly time I ever had sweet potato I almost spat it out, way to sweet for me. It was as though someone had thrown a handfull of sugar over it. This was somewhere in the Caribbean.
OK that kinda explains it mate ...Caribbean cooking can be pretty sweet and very spicy like jerk chicken .

Now spicy food I love, but even as a child I didn't like sweet food. Given the choice between sweets or cheese, I'd take the cheese. Still would.
Kinda like my sis and I when we grew up..we didn't get much in the way of sweets unless it was like Xmas and so on but when it came to nibbles ..cheese..olives..gherkins/pickles ...mate to this day I still prefer a lovely hard Mainland (brand name) tasty cheese and a nice juicey gherkin over chocolate 😀
Still tho ..Nestle old gold dark chocolate peppermint 😋 😆
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Whittakers for me, but I concur most wholeheartedly about the dark peppermint! :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 07, 2024, 01:29:37 AMWhittakers for me, but I concur most wholeheartedly about the dark peppermint! :thumbsup:
Only old gold peppermint for me but also classic milky bar 😁
I can't eat Cadbury chocolate..it's just about it which my throat don't like .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

I'm sure there were some posts about a helicopter here somewhere!? :unsure:  :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 07, 2024, 02:04:39 AMI'm sure there were some posts about a helicopter here somewhere!? :unsure:  :wacko:
Blame Ken Guy..he brought up pumpkins 😁😁😁

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 07, 2024, 02:04:39 AMI'm sure there were some posts about a helicopter here somewhere!? :unsure:  :wacko:

Yeah, yeah - we'll get back there eventually...  ;)

Concur about Cadbury's tho - haven't liked it since they started with palm oil. X-P

zenrat

This arvo I made a beef casserole with carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, onion, (loads of) garlic, and cheesy dumplings.
Slow cooked for 4 1/2 hrs.
Though I say it myself it was rather good.  There is some sweetness there from the veg but its not overwhelming.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

My go to chocolate is Lindt Dark with hazel nuts, just a square every now and then as a treat, and don't tell my doctor  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

I can't stand pumpkin pie ... Jumping on the anti-sweetness bandwagon, I like my pumpkins chopped up and boiled.  Mashed or cubed doesn't matter - served with a wee bit of butter and I'm a happy man ...

Helicopter!  When I was in the Nat. Guard, doing exercises on the nearby Army base, a Cobra flew over right at tree-top level ... even with the two-bladed whop-whop blade we never heard it until it was already overhead ... we could see the gun moving as the pilot shifted his gaze about ... scary.  Small, tiny target, too ...

Has anyone done a two-rotor Cobra?  I just had a vision of two inter-leaving rotors, as if the thing was built by Kaman ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

jcf

How about coaxial like the Bell Model 49? Built and tested post-war before Arthur Young, creator of the Bell helicopter, resigned in 1947. He wanted to move on to other things.

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

Gondor

Quote from: Scotaidh on September 07, 2024, 09:01:17 AMI can't stand pumpkin pie ... Jumping on the anti-sweetness bandwagon, I like my pumpkins chopped up and boiled.  Mashed or cubed doesn't matter - served with a wee bit of butter and I'm a happy man ...

Helicopter!  When I was in the Nat. Guard, doing exercises on the nearby Army base, a Cobra flew over right at tree-top level ... even with the two-bladed whop-whop blade we never heard it until it was already overhead ... we could see the gun moving as the pilot shifted his gaze about ... scary.  Small, tiny target, too ...

Has anyone done a two-rotor Cobra?  I just had a vision of two inter-leaving rotors, as if the thing was built by Kaman ...

There are 1/72 kits available of both the Husky and the K-Max according to Scalemates.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....