How do you 'sandwich' a panel?

Started by PR19_Kit, September 03, 2024, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I've started on a new build (Yeah, I know, that'll be #67 I think............) and the panels are made from two layers of PE with a printed film that's meant to go in between them, but what are you supposed to glue them all together with?

Surely superglue will craze the film like it does canopies, won't it? And styrene cement won't touch the PE of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

What about small dots of silicone adhesive? Once you get it positioned as you want it don't touch it for 24 hours.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

PVA, the PE should stay as folded, if it is folded, otherwise, the whole assembly which I assume is the instrument panel will not be moving. Superglue to hole the rear part against plastic if you want but I use PVA, or equivalent.

Gondor

EDIT: I am sure I covered this when I wrote about working with Photo Etch, though these days I cant remember if I have forgotten anything
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Rat

I've heard of people using Future, or whatever it's called over there.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

frank2056

PVA for sure. I have a bottle of Ultra Glue and it works well. It also dries clear, so you get a free transparency if used to glue together an instrument panel.

PR19_Kit

Ah magic, thanks gentlemen, I have PVA and Klear to hand.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

How would UV setting clear resin do? Though I don't know if it will yellow over time...

frank2056

Some (most?) UV cure resins, at least the 3D printer type, will yellow. You can buy resin that resists yellowing, or you can add a little bit of blue coloring.

Curing the resin in the middle of the panel (where it would be hard to illuminate) would be tough and uncured resin will eventually leak out,

Rick Lowe

Wardukw

Fast setting 2 part epoxy resin ..the crystal clear type ..ive used it dozens of times on PE ..works a absolute treat ..PVA will hold PE but not with real strength..ya gotta be very delicate with it .
I seen gloss varnish used for this as well ..never tried it myself but varnish is very sticky and is definitely stronger than PVA .
You can get a CA glue now just for clear parts ..ive got to remember to get some .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

I'm pretty sure the film doesn't react to CA the way styrene does.

I've used CA on PE- &-film cockpit panels before with no visible effect (except the odd finger print :rolleyes: ) that I've noticed,

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

I use Klear for 3 part panels, although nowadays I tend to use Peewit's panels which are a single piece.

Oops should have said Yahu, not Peewit  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 04, 2024, 06:00:31 AMI use Klear for 3 part panels, although nowadays I tend to use Peewit's panels which are a single piece.

Gone away from Yahu? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

I use simple acrylic gloss varnish for this kind of stunts.