How do you 'sandwich' a panel?

Started by PR19_Kit, September 03, 2024, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 04, 2024, 08:21:49 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 04, 2024, 06:00:31 AMI use Klear for 3 part panels, although nowadays I tend to use Peewit's panels which are a single piece.

Gone away from Yahu? :unsure:

Sorry I meant Yahu  :banghead:  Was looking at some Peewit masks earlier in the afternoon, and you know what us old folks are like  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2024, 12:34:12 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 04, 2024, 06:00:31 AMI use Klear for 3 part panels, although nowadays I tend to use Peewit's panels which are a single piece.

Sorry I meant Yahu  :banghead:  Was looking at some Peewit masks earlier in the afternoon, and you know what us old folks are like  :angel:

What? Speak up, Man - stop mumbling! Hey! You darn meddling kids git offa my lawn! ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 05, 2024, 12:47:57 AM

What? Speak up, Man - stop mumbling! Hey! You darn meddling kids git offa my lawn! ;D

Wasn't that a Billy Ocean song ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2024, 01:02:44 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 05, 2024, 12:47:57 AM

Wasn't that a Billy Ocean song ?  :angel:

Probly, can't quite recall...  ;D

PR19_Kit

Well I've tried using Klear to attach the film to the PE and the styrene parts, and I'm afraid it didn't work worth a light.  :(

After an hour's drying time they just all fell apart, so I've switched to using gel superglue and I'll see how that works. As the panel glued itself to my finger in the process I suspect it may work a bit better.....

Oh yes, another thing. Once I've got the film gauges in place and the PE panel with the holes in it glued on top of it, how the devil do I paint the PE bit without the paint filling the holes up?  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 09, 2024, 08:27:44 AMWell I've tried using Klear to attach the film to the PE and the styrene parts, and I'm afraid it didn't work worth a light.  :(

After an hour's drying time they just all fell apart, so I've switched to using gel superglue and I'll see how that works. As the panel glued itself to my finger in the process I suspect it may work a bit better.....

Oh yes, another thing. Once I've got the film gauges in place and the PE panel with the holes in it glued on top of it, how the devil do I paint the PE bit without the paint filling the holes up?  :banghead:

By using a different order of construction & painting the panel first.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

It's a bit difficult when it's already assembled...............

And trying to assemble it AFTER I'd painted it would be equally difficult as the darn thing's so small it'd be impossible without getting glue on the front face itself. As it is I've had to sand the excess glue off it already.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Use your Handy, Dandy 'Gnat's Whisker' Brush.

All kidding aside, that's probably about your best option. (do brushes come in 'Sub-Millimeter gauge?)
And if you use acrylic, you should be able to clean the acetate without it going all misty.

Probably not much help, but it's the end of a long day, the second one back after a week off and I'm feeling it a bit...

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 09, 2024, 10:11:51 PMUse your Handy, Dandy 'Gnat's Whisker' Brush.

All kidding aside, that's probably about your best option. (do brushes come in 'Sub-Millimeter gauge?)
And if you use acrylic, you should be able to clean the acetate without it going all misty.

Probably not much help, but it's the end of a long day, the second one back after a week off and I'm feeling it a bit...
You can get 10/0 brushes Rick ..da Vinci brand ..from Gordon Harris  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

I know it's to late now Kit, but I paint the front face, then clear any blocked "holes" with a pin head and then proceed to sandwhich the 3 parts. I didn't have any problems using Klear as long as the rear plastic face was painted with a matt coat then the "Klear" had something to grip onto.

Not done it for a while though, all my recent panels have been single piece etch.

PR19_Kit

It's not turned out too bad Chris, at least the larger part that survived anyway.

Pics of it are on my He-119 thread.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 10, 2024, 05:37:00 AMIt's not turned out too bad Chris, at least the larger part that survived anyway.

Pics of it are on my He-119 thread.

Just seen them mate, and as you sat once the canopy goes on  ;)