Main Menu

Ship spotting

Started by Captain Canada, March 31, 2005, 08:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Linked to both the above pics, Mrs_PR19 and I have sailed on the Waverley more than once. They run day trips up and down the Severn to Ilfracombe at certain parts of the year and where tehy start from depends on the state of the tide, usually Weston-s-Mare, but sometimes Porthcawl. Amazingly the Waverley is too wide across the beam to get into the Harbour mouth in Lydney where we live, the paddles and paddleboxes are HUGE!

I used the Harwich - Hook of Holland ferries quite a bit too, the overnight sailings worked a treat but when they bought in the HSS ferries that Harro mentioned it all fell apart. The timings were such that you either needed a hotel near the port the night before a morning sailing or one that stayed open late at night if it was a late sailing. A perfect own goal from a company that should have understood its customer base a bit better.  :banghead:

I switched to the late lamented Olau lines ferry from Sheerness to Vlisssingan after that, at least until the owner shut up shop and fired his over-belligerant union-manned crews.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

I've sailed  on several Clyde paddle steamers......56 years ago when on holiday as a 6 year old.  Dad (Rheged Senior) has lots of colour slides (old Kodachrome 1 film )  of them. As I remember, the turbine boats  were extremely  rapid too!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Used to prefer the Newhaven - Dieppe crossing myself. More time to enjoy the trip  :cheers: and I seem to remember a much shorter train journey to Paris ? This was way, way before High Speed Trains and indeed the earliest trips may have been steam ? Drinks would have been orange juice back then though  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2014, 02:50:34 AM
Linked to both the above pics, Mrs_PR19 and I have sailed on the Waverley more than once. They run day trips up and down the Severn to Ilfracombe at certain parts of the year and where tehy start from depends on the state of the tide, usually Weston-s-Mare, but sometimes Porthcawl. Amazingly the Waverlet is too wide across the beam to get into the Harbour mouth in Lydney where we live, the paddles and paddleboxes are HUGE!

You're not wrong there - they pretty much double the width of the ship!

Head on by pyro-manic, on Flickr

I'd love to go on Waverley. Not likely any time soon, though.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kerick

I checked out the ships website, looks like a fun trip to quite a number of different places. It didn't mention the cost, If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Now that's a great shot ! She sure is wide eh ?

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

The width of her paddles is reflective of the relative inefficiencies of paddle versus screw propulsion...  :blink:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Could the efficiency of paddles be increased by making them narrower and turn them faster?
Maybe some kind of turning mechanism so they slid into and out of the water edge on but turned to push as they passed bottom dead centre?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 25, 2014, 01:29:41 AM

Maybe some kind of turning mechanism so they slid into and out of the water edge on but turned to push as they passed bottom dead centre?

They do that anyway, they call it 'feathering' and the mechanism is fascinating to watch in action. You can stand in a gallery thing inboard of the paddles and watch them do their thing. And seeing how a paddle steamer can turn in its own length is pretty awe inspiring as they run one paddle in forward and one in reverse and round she goes while effectively standing still!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Been on Waverley several times, always on the Clyde. Favourite trip is round Ailsa Craig, seeing all the Gannets etc.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Did a few paddle steamer trips down the Thames as a kid in the 50's, either Southend or Margate/Ramsgate were the destinations. "Ah, nostalgia. It ain't what it used to be"  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on October 25, 2014, 05:30:53 AM
Been on Waverley several times, always on the Clyde. Favourite trip is round Ailsa Craig, seeing all the Gannets etc.

Ahah, Ailsa Craig. Of which it is said :-

[Glasgow Accent On]

If ye canna see Ailsa Craig it's rainin'. If ye can see Ailsa Craig it's gonna rain!'

[Glasgow Accent Off]

Ailsa Craig, before it rains.....

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Saw this Coastie off in the distance. Not sure which one.....I looked for a ship tracking site but still couldn't find it.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 25, 2014, 03:40:45 AM

They do that anyway, they call it 'feathering' and the mechanism is fascinating to watch in action. You can stand in a gallery thing inboard of the paddles and watch them do their thing. And seeing how a paddle steamer can turn in its own length is pretty awe inspiring as they run one paddle in forward and one in reverse and round she goes while effectively standing still!  :o

Thanks Kit.  Didn't know that.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on October 28, 2014, 02:09:13 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 25, 2014, 03:40:45 AM

They do that anyway, they call it 'feathering' and the mechanism is fascinating to watch in action. You can stand in a gallery thing inboard of the paddles and watch them do their thing. And seeing how a paddle steamer can turn in its own length is pretty awe inspiring as they run one paddle in forward and one in reverse and round she goes while effectively standing still!  :o

Thanks Kit.  Didn't know that.

RN had paddle tugs (Director class) in the 1960's with very low upperworks for getting under angled flight decks when  moving carriers around. They were INCREDIBLY manoevreable!!

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet